Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-04-2010, 17:58   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Stavanger on You Tube really looks like an Ingrid 38 and was designed by the same guy, Colin Archer. Thanks CBurger. Fantastic and one of our forum members has one for sale!
regards

Old 03-04-2010, 19:43   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat
The Ingrids are not ugly boats in their own right. Colin Archer is the man, the grandfather of the canoe stern. He designed that boat that they sailed into the arctic and purposely got stuck in the ice right? For a while it was the closest they had come to the North Pole.

Old 03-04-2010, 23:37   #48

Boat: Sail mostly multis. Formula 18 Hobie Wild Cat and TRT 1200. Much else too.
Yes. Colin Archer did that. The commisioner was Frithjof Nansen and the boat was "Fram", meaning Forwards. They tried to drift with the ice to a point close enough to reach it by skis. They didn't com close, but Nansen and Hjalmar Johansen tried to go the 600 remaining kilometers with skis and dog sleds. They gave up at 86 degrees north but failed to find Fram and stayed over the winter at Frans Josef Land in tiny stone and ice cottage. Amazing men and amazing story.

Fram was shaped quite differently than the Stavanger, which is one of the now classic resque boats. The Colin Archer resque boats were much influenced by the previous traditional local boats of the southern Norwegian coast, but they were much more sturdily built, and were extremely strong, well thought out and well behaving boats. Even quite fast for their time. A large number of boats inluenced by them have been made over the years, but Stavanger is one of the remaining originals.

"Fram" is much bigger than the resque boats. A real sailing ship. And she's also very wide across the decks with sides going inwards towards the waterline. She's almost shaped like a bowl. This was to make her pop up rather than being crushed when the ice was squeezing her sides. "Fram" is now in a Museum and actually about 700 metres away from where I sit now, next to the Kontiki raft sailed by another interesting guy: Thor Heyerdahl...
Old 04-04-2010, 00:49   #49

Boat: Sail mostly multis. Formula 18 Hobie Wild Cat and TRT 1200. Much else too.
I just have to comment a bit more on the youtube clip about the Colin Archer rescue boat “Stavanger”. The video is made as a story of the last time this boat sailed from southern Norway to be put in a museum up north in 2002. The commentary is too much to tell it all. Some is excerpts from the log book describing rescue operations from the old days. Among the more interesting bits of info:

The Stavanger is one of the two first Colin Archer rescue boats, put to sea in 1901. She’s 47 foot long, 4,65 meters / 15 foot wide and weighs 31 metric tons. Sail area is 110 square meters / 1184 square foot. She has a crew of 4 persons. She has no engine, and can only maneuver by sail and oars. She was in service for 38 years and saved 53 people from certain death. 2976 boats and 20 ships were taken in tow or assisted. Smooth lines and tremendous righting moment do to the width made her fast and agile in spite of size and weight. Fabulous boats, even for a fanatic multihull racer like me.

Further on, a completely different boat is mentioned: The “Windward Passage”. Another fabulous boat. I’ve actually had the pleasure of seeing it sail in real life when it was in prime racing state. This was 1983 in Hankø in the south of Norway. The occasion was the centenary of The KNS (Royal Norwegian Sailing Club) and the Scaw race, which then was quite a big race, in which I also participated, but on a 33 foot boat… Along with “Windward Passage” were 4 more famous IOR Maxi Raters: “Ondine”, “Nirvana”, “Midnight Sun” and one more I can’t remember the name of. We needed more than 3 days to complete the course, winning our class and in heavy weather. The Maxis all did it in less than half that time. We felt kind of outperformed…

Those were the most magnificent things I ever saw, until getting to the ORMA Formula 60 trimarans. Promise; adrenaline of a different kind. The ultimate in sailing beauty so far! The ballet dancers of sailing. A more than 10 years old video may illustrate what I feel. They’re pure magic!
Old 04-04-2010, 02:08   #50

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"

My favourite.
Bruckman 50.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:43   #51

My vote is for Whitefin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20018_whitefin_1.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	14723  
Old 04-04-2010, 04:57   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
Unbusted

The boat is a one off named Holger Danske and was designed by Aage Walsted back in the 1960's - I think he was pissed at Bob Perry for "stealing" his stern for the Valiant 40. You can certainly see the resemblance. There are more pics of the boat at the site I took the other pic from - if I can figure out how to do a link to the site I will.
This boat won the PHRF class in the Newport-Bermuda about 10 years back, and raised many an eye-brow for her performance. Real beauty
Old 04-04-2010, 05:26   #53
cruiser

Boat: Bermuda 40
Bermuda 40

Old 04-04-2010, 07:59   #54

Boat: Tartan 40
1. My parents' Bermuda 40

2. My Luders 33

No bias here.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thistle  Esperanza 002.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	14727   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1511.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	14729  

Old 04-04-2010, 09:10   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post

Those were the most magnificent things I ever saw, until getting to the ORMA Formula 60 trimarans. Promise; adrenaline of a different kind. The ultimate in sailing beauty so far! The ballet dancers of sailing.
Stein, thank you for the translation and history lesson, those videos are amazing. It's funny to think that they had to cancel the second AC race because the of "adverse sea conditions". Meanwhile these guys are going to windward in what looks to be like 20 knots. Which reminds me...anyone think the current AC boats are nice looking? I thought Alinghi had a pretty boat, Oracle's boat however, was not very nice looking at all. Function over form, I guess.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:43   #56

Boat: Looking for a boat
Most beautiful boat

The most beautiful boat is the one that is seaworthy, fully paid for, generously equipped and stocked up with provisions, and waiting for you to go cruising.
Old 10-04-2010, 13:38   #57
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
any gaff rigged clipper bow schooner--short of that, vagabond 47--th e41 ct ketch/ formosa41 isnt bad either..lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 05:03   #58

@ unbusted67
The ORMA Formula 60 trimaran goes upwind in all of that footage, but not max upwind. The sails are sheeted out a bit and course maybe 15 degrees off max. This is normal in offshore racing on these, since the speed will increase so much that an increased distance may be worth it. Also, going big distances, changes in weather systems means having to follow low pressure systems to stay with the power. That means speed needs to be more than 20 knots much of the time. In this video, in the start they push it a bit too much towards the wind and hobbiehorse too much. Speed is maybe 15 knots. About 3 minutes in, they let it fly more by going down slightly and speed is probably above 25 knots most of the time. Above 30 knots some of the time. This is a 60 foot long and about 40 foot wide boat, BIG thing! Speed seems less than it is.

I actually think BMW Oracle looked stunning. But I sail a Hobie Wild Cat F18 these days, so I may be more than a bit infatuated with negative bows. I think it's hot! They could probably have tolerated more wind and waves than they sailed in, but the organizers probably wanted to make sure there were no law suits against them.

Otherwise, The America's Cup boats this year are of course useless for any kind of interesting sailing. They are pure displays of finance and tech resources. If a round robin series was the entry to the final, both boats would have had to be way different. I think the Volvo Extreme 40 cats built by Göran Marström are great things of both beauty and of merit. They even have their own very alive race series. Now that's good stuff for AC sailing.
Old 23-04-2010, 06:29   #59
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Endeavour in Newport, 2004

Old 24-04-2010, 19:59   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
My son gave me a model of the original to decorate my boat. She is a beauty.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: