Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-09-2011, 11:37   #31
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: What is customary regarding sharing cost with crew and guests?

ROFL.... no one flies UK to St Martin FWI/Portugal/Azores for a day sail/W.end... its usually at least 4 weeks at a time...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:54   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: What is customary regarding sharing cost with crew and guests?

day sail...lol.. weekend...another lol..... is pair a dice-- aint no suchuvathang as a short sail.
and i wouldnt fly to coldville for a sail of any duration, but some do that.....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:27   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

On my boat, guests pay nothing. If they invite me to a dinner in port, that's OK, but not expected.

Crew (people that want to sail with me) pay their share of provisioning. If they pay their share of harbour and fuel fees, that OK and welcome. If they buy me a beer after the trip, that's OK, but not expected.

Crew (people whom I hire to do a job) get paid for their job. They do not participate in any costs. If they do the job right, I invite them to beer afterwards.

b.
Old 10-09-2011, 15:18   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
ROFL.... no one flies UK to St Martin FWI/Portugal/Azores for a day sail/W.end... its usually at least 4 weeks at a time...
Unless it was someone I knew was flat broke (and had large breasts and I knew was very pleasant company ), I would expect a Guest to agree a deal in advance that not only covered my costs, but replenished the beer fund for a considerable amount of time For me there is a principle involved - that of not being taken for a mug by freeloaders

If Guest unwilling to put hand in pocket I would simply suggest easier for all concerned if they chartered
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 16:13   #35
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

"dont know that many B&S" that offer free trips"

This made me laugh
Old 10-09-2011, 16:42   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
On my boat, guests pay nothing. If they invite me to a dinner in port, that's OK, but not expected.

Crew (people that want to sail with me) pay their share of provisioning. If they pay their share of harbour and fuel fees, that OK and welcome. If they buy me a beer after the trip, that's OK, but not expected.

Crew (people whom I hire to do a job) get paid for their job. They do not participate in any costs. If they do the job right, I invite them to beer afterwards.

b.
+1 same here.
Old 10-09-2011, 18:26   #37

Quote:

Exactly! This is the best advice in the thread.
Old 10-09-2011, 23:52   #38
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I ask friends to cover there food & I cover the rest- This works well for me-
Old 11-09-2011, 22:12   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulJack

Interesting thread, particularly pertaining to my interests at the moment in trying to find a voyage to get involved with.

Looking around and emailing people to get a feel for how people treat this sort of thing, there is a lot of different opinions on this subject. While I'm certainly prepared to pay my way on a voyage, assuming I'm joining someone who isn't being paid a lot for a delivery or something, it is interesting to note that I've occasionally seen crew wanted ads offering to pay a small amount or provide free meals, even for beginner skill levels!

Personally, I don't really want to feel like a "guest" on a boat, and would much rather feel like I was earning my spot on the vessel. Regardless, I'd still be happy to foot my share of the bill, as long as it wasn't going toward new plasma screens for somebody's boat!

I'm quite interested in the legality of charging more than just splitting the bill at the grocery store counter though, as somebody else mentioned, this brings up insurance issues?

Cheers,

Paul
Old 11-09-2011, 22:46   #40
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJack View Post
Personally, I don't really want to feel like a "guest" on a boat, and would much rather feel like I was earning my spot on the vessel.
When I invite someone to join me for a passage, it's never because I need crew, and never because I need money. Rather, it's because I feel that the presence of the person invited will somehow enhance the voyage.

Are you saying you'd prefer to crew for someone who is dependent upon you either to make the passage possible or to pay the cost of fuel and/or provisions?

Think about this: I've already been offered spots on two boats for the Pacific Cup to Hawaii next summer. Should I select to join the boat that needs me the most, or the boat that needs me the least?
Old 11-09-2011, 22:57   #41

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulJack

You caught me! I was just trying to edit that post to remove that bit of absent mindedness!

I suppose what I meant was that I am looking for a spot on a boat where I am part of the team (or crew) and am needed in some way. I like feeling like I have responsibility and I think that (personally) I would experience more personal growth in a position like that.

Of course, I would feel absolutely honoured to be invited as a "guest" on somebody's boat but, ultimately for my long voyage, I hope to be part of the "Crew". I hope I didn't come across as too pompous on that last post.

To answer your question: I'm new to sailing to sailing, so I'll answer with something I know better, wine making. Not taking any other factors into account, I would take a job at the winery that needed me more. Simply because that would indicate that I would have more responsibility and there might be more likelihood of some high pressure and uncomfortable situations, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Totally personal preference though, I could relate to either way somebody chose to go.
Old 11-09-2011, 23:39   #42

Boat: Top Hat Mk 2 25 foot

For me. For just a day or weekend. Treat them as a guest.

For NYE on Sydney Harbour. Bring Booze. Last year was a Bottle of Dom for midnight. Yum.

For rafting up next to a live aboard on NYE I gave them all my left over fresh food. And we pooled food and booze for dinner.

For Christmas last year when we were away a week both made lists and went shopping.
So expenses were shared.
Plus Chrissy presents each.

If I am going on someone elses boat I always ask what they would like me to bring and it is generally it is food/wine. Much like being invited to dinner or to stay at someones house.

I never ask for fuel or other cash.

Most people are very reasonable. But like house guests some never lift a finger nor put their hand in their pocket.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:37   #43
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: What Is Customary Regarding Sharing Cost with Crew and Guests ?

Don't overlook the value of guests as mules. Arriving from your home country they can bring stuff you can't get any other way or might get with high shipping costs and duty. They can also bring parts and spares and should be given some credit for the hassle and expense of rounding up this stuff. I agree with those who would rather have a small boat they can afford rather than a larger boat on which they have to be servants. My guests are guests and are treated the way I expected to be treated when a guest. Cast your bread upon the waters...
Old 12-09-2011, 16:36   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Hospitality is hospitality. When you invite people to visit you at home, to you ask them to share expenses? Why would it be different when you invite them to spend time on your boat?

In polite society, the ideal boat guest brings a few nice bottles of wine aboard, and then treats the owner to a lovely dinner at a restaurant in a port of call. These are considered gestures of appreciation, not fees paid for passage.
When I ask friends to come over we have a potluck. I might supply the meat and ask them to bring sides and it is most often BYOB.

On some occasions I invite people over for dinner and supply everything. Just depends.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:16   #45

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Interesting question. I've gone cruising for the past two summers. Three months at a time. I needed crew for much of the summer. Never mentioned the financial arrangements in my recruiting emails or conversations.

As it hashed out, I covered costs for my family, college-age kids, nephews, etc. Everybody else covered their own transportation and half of food, booze, fuel, marinas. Most adults of some means tended to pitch in a bit more, I guess since I was providing the boat and maintenance. This past summer, one of my college-age kids paid her own transportation. I was most impressed.

I went to the VI's with a buddy on his boat a couple of years ago. He was clear up front. He would provide boat and hired captain. We (the other buddies) would provide food and booze (as I recall). We all did our own transportation.

I think the key is to be sensitive to everyone else's finances and be considerate of others. Nothing is more valuable than good companionship on a boat, in my book.

Tags
crew

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: