Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2007, 12:29   #1

Boat: Leopard40 39ft Myrtle
Whatever Happened to Robin Lee Graham ?

Does anybody know what happened to Robin Lee Graham or Patti his wife? Robin was the youngest boy who did a solo sircumnavigation in the 60's in his 23 ft yacht, Dove.

There were two books written about the 4 yr voyage and a movie came out later.
The South African is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 12:49   #2

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
Funny you should ask that... I just finished reading Tania Aebi's book, Maiden Voyage and wondered the same about good ole Robin... Here's what was on a post at Cruising World.com and I can't vouch for the validity of it... Hope it at leasts points you in the right direction. I also googled him in the town listed below and his phone number does come up.

Mark

FOUND ON ANOTHER POST-------------------------------------

Hi... In answer to your question re: Robin Lee Graham, I must add that Robin wrote another book titled "Home Is The Sailor" (also assisted by Derek Gill).

The last I knew, Robin and Patti moved to Montana where Robin started a building company.

They both do international aid and frequently fly overseas in that work.

They had two children, a girl and a boy. I forget the girls name but the boy's name is Ben.

National Geographic did one last interview with Robin and Patti at their home in Montana. (with a few photo's).

I hope this has been of some help to you.

Cheers
Noel.

ps: I remembered their daughters name... Quimby.
They also live in Kalispell Montana.
Click on the following link, read it through and you will find it well worth your while!!
http://www.cruisingworld.com/forum_messa...
Source(s):
National Geographic
Old 14-03-2007, 12:56   #3

Howzit South African,
this is from the Sailnet Forum

From Amazon:
Some web sites on the internet have provided incorrect information about Patti and Robin Lee Graham who documented his circumnavigation at age 16 (1965-1970)in this book "Dove," as well as in three National Georgraphic issues, and a movie by Gregory Peck. Patti and Robin still live in Montana (documented in his second book, "Home is the Sailor") and are grandparents of two grand sons of Quimby and her husband. Their son Benjamin is recently married. The Grahams are in the construction business and continue to serve as a positive influence in the lives of young people through their writings and religious service to others. They are remarkable people and provide us all a remarkable story of courage, perserverance, hope and friendship.

So there you are: they're well and Jesus freaks.
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 02:29   #4

Boat: Westerly 33, Dunkers of Tintern
Does anyone know if Dove was released as a DVD and if so who can supply it?
Dunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 15:52   #5

I just bought the VHS Video Cassette from Amazon.com, a second hand one and it is in NTSC and we have PAL in South Africa (and I believe Europe too. But I managed to get it to play well and is now trying to load it on to my PC to write a DVD from it. (Because the tape wont last long).
Old 15-03-2007, 15:54   #6

Hey Everyone who supplied some info....thanks a lot. I really admired what he did in those days and his book was a huge inspitration to me 30 years ago.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:12   #7

Boat: Crealock 37
This is a fascinating post for me: Since I found the book 'Dove' in the school library in Junior High a couple of decades ago, Robin Lee Graham has been a big sailing inspiration for me. At that time, I immediately set out to get a cruising boat (which to me meant a boat with a cabin ) By mowing neighborhood lawns, at age 13 I acquired a 24' Coronado sailboat and slowly planned to leave by the ripe old age of 15. Even though it never panned out (I was sidetracked -thankfully!-by girls and cars), Robin remained a sailing hero to me. As I am once again in the planning stages, it is neat to stumble upon his inspiring adventures again.
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 14:07   #8

Robin Lee Graham is a great subject because it brings back fond memories. As a teenager I grew up in Southern California living close to Long Beach Calif. I read the report in the local paper about "the youngest sailor to sail around the world leaving from Long Beach"; I of course always dreamed about such adventures so I follow his adventure closely through the years. I was junior in high school in 1965 when Robin left port, graduated on June 1966 joined the Marine Corps that November and went to Vietnam always keeping up with Robin and his quest. I wanted to go to Australia for RR since Robin was there while I was in Vietnam but Australia was not an option for enlisted men then so I went to Honk Kong instead. I was lucky and made it back to the states and got married and got out of the Marine Corps January 10th 1970. I continued to follow Robin’s adventures and had all the National Geographic Magazine issue’s that I proudly saved as Robin circumvented the globe. Sadly my marriage did not work out and as I filed for divorce Robin returned back from his trip. I read the book and even saw the movie “The Dove” and even now I look back so long ago with fond memories even though I experienced some tough challenges during those times I never regret keeping up with Robin’s adventures. So yeah, this is a great subject only because Robin did what so many that I knew through the years that wanted to venture off these shores to explore our great globe and see things most of us only dream of. I taught myself how to sail years ago and enjoyed it very much but never went off like Robin. I only sailed off the coast, always on a line of site shore sailing but still enjoyed it! I do not think Robin really knows how much he inspired so many of us to learn how to sail and dream of exploring the unknown. I sincerely wish him and his family well.
starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 15:27   #9

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
I too was hugely inspired by Robin's voyage, NG articles, book and movie and like the untold number of others of us who likely never will equal his accomplishment but was inspired to dream and strive a bit further for that distant shore. His story of adventure and romance is a classic story and I'm happy to know that he and Patty managed to live happily ever after!
Old 29-05-2008, 19:18   #10

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Robin Lee Graham inspired me do to my own circumnavigation. The National Geographic articles implanted the dream in my mind, and there was no escape.

It's interesting how, every once in a while, people pop up out of nowhere and influence thousands of lives around the world. Joshua Slocum, Harry Pidgeon, and Robin Lee Graham are good examples.

We live in a day of extreme sports and well-financed adventures. The high performance extreme sportsmen of today discourage me rather than inspire me, because most of what they do are stunts (often highly risky). I don't aspire to follow in their footsteps, and I have no desire to emulate what they do.

This age of brinksmanship is at the opposite end of the spectrum from people like Slocum, Pidgeon, and Graham. They went about their business in average boats with minimal resources, and they had an excellent adventure. Most of all, they inspired me because what they were doing wasn't extreme. Their dreams were in the realm of possiblity in my own life.

One of my favorite quotes from singlehanded circumnavigator, Harry Pidgeon is: "I avoided adventure as much as possible. Just the same, any landsman who builds his own vessel and sails alone around the world will certainly meet with some adventures, so I shall offer no apology for my voyage. Those days were the freest and happiest of my life."

Long live those sailors who inspire ordinary people to live their dreams.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 10:40   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Stevens 50
It's incredible how many people Robin influenced. I was one of those kids that first dreamed of sailing around the world when I was 13 as I read in National Geographic the story of my then hero. Well, it took a while but I have recently finished my 6year circumnavigation aboard JULIA and am nearly finished writing my own book about my experiences and what I learned about life from the sea.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 11:10   #12

Boat: Westerly 33, Dunkers of Tintern
When you've got a publisher and its in print you must let us all know the details as I, for one, would be very interested in reading it

Cheers
David
Dunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 11:13   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Stevens 50
Thanks David. I will definitely post online when the book is out. And if there are any publishers or agents reading this, let's talk!
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 15:46   #14

Robin Lee Graham

I did a search on Robin Lee Graham today and came across these posts discussing him and where he is today. The reason for my interest is because Robin is my second cousin and I've always been fascinated by his around the world trip as a teenager. He is doing well, living in NW Montana with his wife Patti, working as a master carpenter. Their daughter Quimby is married to a doctor and lives in Michigan. His son, Ben lives here in Montana and is married and has a new little girl. My family followed Robin from S. California when he asked my dad to help him build his log home on some property he bought here after he left Stanford. My dad came up for a summer to help and fell in love with the place and moved up a couple of years later.
Jgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 20:59   #15

to J graham:

hi, im saul from argentina, is there any posibilitie to write him a letter, or an e mail?
how can i get his adress?.

i m amused by r. Lee, and his story, i ve road his book dove 3 times!
thanks!!!
saul sutton is offline   Reply With Quote