Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2009, 02:51   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
OK thread drift alert: but what does USA mean, I see it when they refer to America (especially North America)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 02:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
That's enough!! stop now. we can't afford any more people coming here. The Qld Gov is broke for the next 25yrs.
That's OK. The way they're going the Australian government is going to be broke for the next 250 years.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 03:06   #18

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Craig We allow all boat people You should be OK.
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 04:16   #19

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960cjj View Post
Sorry about this Bill but I hope there is room for two more. In a couple of years I aim to be up there cruising around in a new Lightwave 45. I have just about had enough of winters in Vic. 2 degree C mornings just don't do it for me.

Craig
2 degree c mornings? We dream of those balmy conditions!!!! lol
Old 18-06-2009, 04:49   #20

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Craig

Don't forget you will need a powerboat licence in Qld. Silly me, I let mine lapse years ago, so now I will have to take another test. Bill, hope there is room for another boat person. Sunny Sydney ain't so sunny no more . . . rain, rain, and more rain, and yet our dams are only half filled. 2 degree c mornings? 9 is too cold for me!
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 04:59   #21

Boat: working towards a Lightwave 38
Portobello, lol, without even looking at your location I knew you had to be from Tassy.

Seadog3315, You need a powerboat license in Vic as well. It's good that we have uniform regulations between states. Our dams are only 26% full and still falling.
1960cjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 05:11   #22

... need a snowmobile licence in Tassie!!!
Old 18-06-2009, 05:33   #23

Boat: S&S 30
Yes , winter in Brisy and summer in Hobart would be perfect i recon
Jim Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 05:38   #24

I think you have nailed it Jim - but some live aboard mates on a pile mooring in Brisbane got a huge amount of rain, storms and otherwise nasty stuff through summer - perhaps a little further south?
Old 18-06-2009, 05:57   #25

Boat: S&S 30
Yes some where like Northern NSW would be a good spot but dont know how boat friendly it is. I visited Brisi for the first time the day after that storm hit a couple of weeks ago, the streets were very clean after the 600 mm of rain in 48 hrs .
What a great set up down at Manly!! wall to wall boats. And the river through the town just magic.

Regards Jim
Jim Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 07:41   #26

Boat: Farrier f27
With all the QLD talk, I've been wondering where MarkJ has been, I haven't his posts for a while.

Speaking of crocs up there, one of the funny things I saw at some tourist spot around Cairns was this massive one called 'Jack the Ripper' & a pictogram warning people not to bend over the fence even though the fence was 12' above the guy. He apparently had a nasty attitude and had been killing whatever other crocs they were placing with him.

Anyway, the Qld area is a place I could spend a good deal more time in.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 07:56   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I saw a discovery program about saltwater crocs, they filmed one 20 miles offshore, he looked big enough to eat my boat. Any incidences of croc encounters offshore with sailboats? If 'jack the ripper' can jump 12 feet, my boat has a 9 foot beam?????
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 08:13   #28

I think the locals could give more accurate details, but I believe they like to hang out in the estuaries where fresh & salt water are mixing. While they may go way offshore, I thought it was more like whale behavior when they wander into bays and such.

Aren't you glad you just deal with those mild mannered alligators. I've a brother in Kingwood Tx, swamp outside his back yard with occasional gators. Continuing the drift--- my family & I were kayaking in the So Carolina blackwater swamps with our fat little beagle & little 2-3' gators were drooling at the sight of that tasty morsel!
Old 18-06-2009, 16:34   #29

Boat: working towards a Lightwave 38
Ocean Girl & Randy. Re Crocs.

It's FNQ (Far North Queensland) and around the top end that you have to be worried about crocs. It is a definite no no to go into the water. People are taken every year by crocs, mainly in the populated areas around towns and it's usually in rivers. I did a motorcycle trip from Cairns to Cape York a few years ago and we say plenty. Made you a bit nervous riding through the rivers crossings. They are a protected species now and their population has exploded.

I have heard and read stories of people sailing the Kimberleys coming into contact with very large and aggressive crocs. Tenders being chewed up, (don't leave them in the water) being chased on the beach, (makes an interesting morning walk) being stalked whilst in dinghy's and finally having a croc's climb up on board over the stern (barrier protection recommended to be installed on cats to stop unwanted visitors)

This is not aimed to put anyone off about the top end of Australia. It's a big beautiful place, it just has it's known dangers as does most other places.
1960cjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 16:37   #30

Nice story, Jack the ripper's not alone!