Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2006, 03:53   #61

Wheels,why on earth would Pat want to stay away from fresh water,It seems to be making him a lot of money!!You obviously diddn't see the same pattern I did.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 08:48   #62
Kai Nui

What ever it takes, here and there.
Old 29-10-2006, 10:30   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I have a job spending hard earned money. My wife has a hard job earning the money. Well.... she say's it's hard work ;-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 19:51   #64

Boat: C27 Sea-Renity
Sailin’ on the cheap

My boat is free and clear. That helps a lot. See, we buy older boats with good hulls and good standing rigging, if everything else is fair to poor, the lower the price. Rebuild over a few years, avoid credit and buy used hardware and sails plus doing all the work ourselves drives down costs enormously. About the time the boat’s in fair to good shape we sell it and look for something a little bigger that needs love.

Simple methodology: safe and seaworthy, then ease of handling, then make it purdy!

As well, like several other people have posted, we have a modest home, older car & truck and don’t even try to keep up with the Jones’s.

Oh yeah, to answer the question, I work “here and there” as a subcontractor for mining supply and drilling and blasting companies. But mostly, I’m a bum ……

Ferg
Old 02-11-2006, 22:01   #65

I can't afford this nice boat, so I'm building it instead. I guess that's what I do. Better go and do a bit more......
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 21:10   #66

Sorry seafox, got busy with the yacht for a few days there. A Hughes 25 is a 25'loa, 7.5'beam, 3.5' draught cruising sailboat that is often mistaken for an Alberg 22 by dockwalkers. It has a little galley that you step on as you enter the cabin, a pair of settees with a drop in table, a v-berth with head and holding tank beneath and a cockpit comfortable for four.
This is an old pic from the day I bought her, complete with tarp over very leaky poptop!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	468  
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:14   #67

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Nice little boat yotphix.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 13:06   #68
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLeLu
Ok, ok - you outted me! I am a marina queen stuck in purgatory. My husband and I work at professional jobs M-F and hang out at the boat/marina on the weekends. We have plans to cruise, but right now we are just paying the bills, equipping the boat, and dreaming of someday. (oh yea, and we buy lottery tickets every Saturday
well at least i'm no marina king i can dock my boat in the creek behind my house but that's no guarantee that i can go sailing every weekend!! no sir. I am now putting new siding on the house and painting it also. in addition to working a job 5 days a week. oh yes and paying the bills next spring the house goes up for sale. after that there is a distinct possibility that if I am still alive and really lucky I can go cruising until then it is nice to read this forum and look for ways to keep the dream alive.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:47   #69

Boat: HT 26. Currently in Mallorca
Well we bought a little one in Abu Dhabi, only a couple of thousand quid but took a year to pay it off.
Then we built one, from plans, not kit, high learning curve and took three years. Lost that the year it was completed due to lack of work.
Finaly recieved a "bit" of cash I was owed forom my last job, put it to what we had and we got our new ( 20 years old) HT, and very pleased as well.
However the morgauge ( probely spelt wrong) has of course not gaind by this and in fact we are back to 20 years or so. Good side, we have our dream machine and the house is worth 3 times the original morgauge. ( Spelt wrong again)

Go for it when you can.

Best regards
Old 11-11-2006, 11:17   #70

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
I teach elementary school. Mobile home paid for. Got off on a tangent and bought a new motorcycle. Got further off tanget and traveled to Las Vegas on same. Then took a trip to Nova Scotia on same. Then bought Scallywag. Had visions of sailing off to far away places and the Captain put the kabush on that dream of sailing and living off the interest from the sale of the Mobile home. Scallywag sits in a canal in the back of the water front mobile home and now I am waiting till age 62. Then with pension and social security maybe I am off. I know I will be paying for a lot of airfare back to the states for the captain so she can see the grandchildren. We all have our limitations and personal demands. Larry and Lynn Pardey, Anne Hill, and others had their personal demands and limitations and they managed. It all depends on your priorities and how focused you are on your dream. The dream keeps changing. The USVI are not the same as in 1967.
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:08   #71

Boat: Annapolis 25
Re: What does everyone DO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Hinkley 42 Right Gene Pool
HAHA I love it.

Just chiming in-- my occupation is "broke, indebted postgrad," and I can still daysail in a 25-ft boat from 1969. I bought cheap and put in a lot of elbow grease... just stop going out to lunch, never buy new clothes, and, of course, drive a super old car. It adds up. Don Casey is wise on this point.

Oh, and learn how to do literally anything with fiberglass. That helps.
sashaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:17   #72
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

worked very very hhard for many many years in intensive care areas as an rn and paid many many years longer into fica so that when i became disabled as an rn i could afford to continue life.... liened my ericson 35mII to own this formosa 41 outright.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:41   #73

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei

I must be doing something wrong ... I have a house, a forty-two foot sailboat, 2 cars and I don't work ... ah-ha! Don't use OPM like I do. But in doing that, I balanced it with two substantial retirements from the military and law enforcement profession, working for thirty-four years. So now I get to play!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Tayana 37. Journalist.
But then I live aboard, so it doubles as my house.
And, I do all the work and upkeep myself.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:58   #75

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: What Does Everyone DO ?

Westsail 28, Veterans pension

Leslie retires from Virginia state government in 15 months

Damn! No wonder this country is broke!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote