Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 13:45   #196

Boat: Wellcraft Coastal 33ft
Re: What Do You Do for a Living?

Fresh air inspector
Troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:02   #197

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
Fresh air inspector
Where have you found the freshest?

Spencer
Old 02-04-2012, 14:56   #198

Boat: Wellcraft Coastal 33ft

So far up here in Pitt Meadows, cool and very crisp
Troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:58   #199

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxxx View Post
I am a freshman at a university and also a business owner. AKA I have zero time to do anything..
You had time to tell us "business owner", care to elaborate?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:59   #200
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

well I messed around in consulting engineering for 30+odd years (mechanical, plumbing, Fire, central plant design, clean and dirty utilities, Steam, etc. Self taught but have a professional engineering license. Designed some of the big buildings in Vegas and other places. Worked on some biotech and semi-conductor fabs too, plus all the normal things too.

Also self taught in three or four computer languages, Digital electronics, built a telescope from a photo once, etc, etc. Plus know a lot about mechanical and electrical, plumbing stuff. I read a lot it seems.

On the flip side I've also raised farm animals, done shearing, Fiber art things like Spinning wool, etc. sew, Fashion consultant, Canvas shop worker, certified massage therapist,and a few other things. Just another blonde bimbo, thats me..

Oh there's that sailing thingy too...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:03   #201

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragerdrive View Post
I'm retired USForest Service, Fire Management Wildfire and Prescribed Fire, Silviculturist etc.

I currently work as a retired consultant when needed in developing landscape vegetation, fuels and wild fire suppression modeling methods with the USFS and Joint Fire Science.
I got involved with flying as an air observer looking for fires and while working on a helitack crew.

Boating and sailing are new to me in the last three or four years. After years of being an on land and air adrenaline junkie, I now have time to do some adrenaline sports on the water. Along with an adequate amount of time and money to do it.

Interesting discussion.
We like your plane!
Old 02-04-2012, 15:10   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
well I messed around in consulting engineering for 30+odd years (mechanical, plumbing, Fire, central plant design, clean and dirty utilities, Steam, etc. Self taught but have a professional engineering license. Designed some of the big buildings in Vegas and other places. Worked on some biotech and semi-conductor fabs too, plus all the normal things too.

Also self taught in three or four computer languages, Digital electronics, built a telescope from a photo once, etc, etc. Plus know a lot about mechanical and electrical, plumbing stuff. I read a lot it seems.

On the flip side I've also raised farm animals, done shearing, Fiber art things like Spinning wool, etc. sew, Fashion consultant, Canvas shop worker, certified massage therapist,and a few other things. Just another blonde bimbo, thats me..

Oh there's that sailing thingy too...
Now this is the person you need if marooned on a deserted island like the S/S Minnow. I'll play Gilligan to your Professor, sailorchic34.
Old 02-04-2012, 15:12   #203
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I can be Ginger too
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:22   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I can be Ginger too
Works for me. Ginger was always kind to poor, hapless Gilligan.
Old 02-04-2012, 17:13   #205
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer

Now this is the person you need if marooned on a deserted island like the S/S Minnow. I'll play Gilligan to your Professor, sailorchic34.
Nah... Dont need no professor...

Professor could keep the batteries going in a transistor radio for 5 years but couldn't patch a hole in a boat... (OK I know gilligan screwed up the glue but please...)

Skipper - made washing machines, huts and cars outta grass fiber. Skipper kept them folks alive.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 18:24   #206

Boat: None. As for a name, let's just say "Wishful Thinking"...

I'll be honest... If the OP is anything like me, he is immensely curious about correlating career choices with boat type, make, model, affordability. So heres my CSV. Some would consider it uncouth to mention finances, but I consider my life an open book, and if it helps someone else to gage their situation with thier own goal, then im happy to help. (fyi. i dont expect anyone else to return this level of information about themselves).

CAREER
- Took a year off after getting my BS in Electrical Engineering to play in a band. LOL. Worked as part time painter for father in law.
- Worked 1 year as a drafter for emergency vehicle startup ($25k/year)
- Promoted to electrical system designer apprentice ($50k) 1 year
- Promoted to electrical system senior designer ($50k) 1 year.
- Left company. No future in that industry.
- Worked as manufacturing engineer for major military defense contractor making target acquisition systems ($55k) (2 years)
- Promoted to Manufacturing/Test engineer for missile defense systems ($65k) (2 years)
- Caught the wunderlust. Started taking debt seriously. Started going to boat shows.
- Transferred to Test Engineer for targeting/optics system for new fixed wing aircraft ($68k) (2 years to present)

LIFE SITUATION
* Currently 33 with wife and toddler (3).
* Crohns disease for 15 years. Lost 1.5 ft of guts at 18. Learned to live without meds since '07.
* Wife is an industrial engineer with same company making equivalent pay.
* Paid our student loans off end of 2011.
* Home mortgage at 1/2 way mark ($78k left)
* Own residential investment property (2.6A). Currently owe $90k on it.
* No car or credit card debt.
* Currently using the debt snowball method. Putting at least $20k of additional principal on all debt each year.
* Keep minimal amount in savings (<$10k). All extta income goes to debt.

THE DREAM
+ Pay off all debts. Projected debt free date with snowball calculator = 2018 at the latest if i cant find a buyer for investment property. If yes, then 2014.
+ Look for a used ~38" cat (lagoon 380 ideally) that can be cruise-ready for $120k
+ Cash in on investment property and savings to fund purchase.
+ Rent house to my almost retired parents as cruising fund.
+ Take 1 year LOA from work. Take wife and daughter (she should be 8-11 by then) on a 1-year caribbean trip to test the long-time cruising waters, so to speak.
+ ??? who knows ???
+ OPTIONAL: Hand off boat to ex-mil, adventurous, equally successful single brother who has a ton of leave built up.
heyniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 18:30   #207

Great post heyniceguy. I didn't need to mention pay because most all here probably know anyway due to being marine related.
Old 02-04-2012, 20:22   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyniceguy View Post
I'll be honest... If the OP is anything like me, he is immensely curious about correlating career choices with boat type, make, model, affordability. So heres my CSV. Some would consider it uncouth to mention finances, but I consider my life an open book, and if it helps someone else to gage their situation with thier own goal, then im happy to help. (fyi. i dont expect anyone else to return this level of information about themselves).

CAREER
- Took a year off after getting my BS in Electrical Engineering to play in a band. LOL. Worked as part time painter for father in law.
- Worked 1 year as a drafter for emergency vehicle startup ($25k/year)
- Promoted to electrical system designer apprentice ($50k) 1 year
- Promoted to electrical system senior designer ($50k) 1 year.
- Left company. No future in that industry.
- Worked as manufacturing engineer for major military defense contractor making target acquisition systems ($55k) (2 years)
- Promoted to Manufacturing/Test engineer for missile defense systems ($65k) (2 years)
- Caught the wunderlust. Started taking debt seriously. Started going to boat shows.
- Transferred to Test Engineer for targeting/optics system for new fixed wing aircraft ($68k) (2 years to present)

LIFE SITUATION
* Currently 33 with wife and toddler (3).
* Crohns disease for 15 years. Lost 1.5 ft of guts at 18. Learned to live without meds since '07.
* Wife is an industrial engineer with same company making equivalent pay.
* Paid our student loans off end of 2011.
* Home mortgage at 1/2 way mark ($78k left)
* Own residential investment property (2.6A). Currently owe $90k on it.
* No car or credit card debt.
* Currently using the debt snowball method. Putting at least $20k of additional principal on all debt each year.
* Keep minimal amount in savings (<$10k). All extta income goes to debt.

THE DREAM
+ Pay off all debts. Projected debt free date with snowball calculator = 2018 at the latest if i cant find a buyer for investment property. If yes, then 2014.
+ Look for a used ~38" cat (lagoon 380 ideally) that can be cruise-ready for $120k
+ Cash in on investment property and savings to fund purchase.
+ Rent house to my almost retired parents as cruising fund.
+ Take 1 year LOA from work. Take wife and daughter (she should be 8-11 by then) on a 1-year caribbean trip to test the long-time cruising waters, so to speak.
+ ??? who knows ???
+ OPTIONAL: Hand off boat to ex-mil, adventurous, equally successful single brother who has a ton of leave built up.
Fantastic post

And to answer op's question, my business is marketing consultation services. Specializing in SEO.
xoxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 22:04   #209
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Nah... Dont need no professor...
Ouch.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01   #210

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Stock boy, gas pumper, Marine bomber pilot Vietnam/instructor pilot, college student, frame carpenter, Texas coordinator Vietnam Vets Against the War, antiwar lobbyist/activist/spokesman, homesteader/built house, bartender, Director Med. Airlift to El Salvador, fundraiser Anti-Nuclear weapons campaign, wholesale importer Indonesian craft, owner functional art gallery, daytrader, boat bum.