Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2014, 08:00   #151

Boat: PETERSON 44
Re: What did we Learn from the 60's?

Thanks that's clarified where you come from. You probably think I am a way left democrat. I am registered libertarian. The best government protects life liberty and property. Regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, man boobs...etc. government equally protects those freedoms. I think that was a underlying tension of the 60s. We are still ohh so slowly working tward this. In the mean time the US prisons hold 25% of the incarcerated population.
Yeah land if the free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 08:16   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Thanks that's clarified where you come from. You probably think I am a way left democrat. I am registered libertarian. The best government protects life liberty and property. Regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, man boobs...etc. government equally protects those freedoms. I think that was a underlying tension of the 60s. We are still ohh so slowly working tward this. In the mean time the US prisons hold 25% of the incarcerated population.
Yeah land if the free.
Umm. Reality check. You dont count. The 'government' is now independent of your thoughts, your thinking and your wishes. When Kennedy carked it in '63. it was a warning to everyone that listened that the powers that be were in charge and would remain in charge. A few more deceasements later on hammered home the point.

For those that think that there is a difference between the political parties, you need to think again. Maybe one side will go a softer route to the goal and make it more pleasant on the ride........ but we are going to end up the same destination.

Its money and power. Both sides want it. Both sides know who killed Kennedy. Both sides keep quiet. Kennedys wife knew. Kennedys brothers knew who done dun it........

Its a different world out there.

... Israel will take a caning, Iran will carry on and Russia will push and shove and USA and Europe will push and shove back.

The coming fracas will definitely put a cramp in my sailing.. but might be some cheap late model Catamarans because of it!
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 08:23   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Regardless of the current admin's opinion, Social Security for those that paid in is not an entitlement.

It's just not as simple as Dems v. Repubs...
Can you explain how Paul Ryan and his horrible budget plan are The Administration?

I agree, it's NOT an entitlement, it is an earned benefit.

And yes, sometimes it is that simple.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 08:27   #154

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

The sixties were not about incarceration, that came later. We learned to rebel against plastic fantastic commercial products but we didn't keep it up.
There was also a notion that the highest and best use of a human was not bound up in being an employee. We didn't keep that up either.
We did not know that we were going back to the future...now the 2nd cold war is just around the corner. Did we as a species not learn better? Apparently not. Crime as commerce is not an economic system, its just crime. "Rode a tank, held a generals rank as the bodies stank" no sympathy here.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 08:34   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
The sixties were not about incarceration, that came later. We learned to rebel against plastic fantastic commercial products but we didn't keep it up.
There was also a notion that the highest and best use of a human was not bound up in being an employee. We didn't keep that up either.
We did not know that we were going back to the future...now the 2nd cold war is just around the corner. Did we as a species not learn better? Apparently not. Crime as commerce is not an economic system, its just crime. "Rode a tank, held a generals rank as the bodies stank" no sympathy here.
It wont be no cold war. Already I see in this country certain provisions taking place behind doors. 'Just in case'.

I wonder if we have any ships left?

sigh
Old 26-04-2014, 09:01   #156

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34
Re: What did we learn from the 60's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
What I have learned from the children of the 60's is that as they age they are just like the children of the 50's and the 40's and the. 30's and every generation prior. Their generation was special and saw the world in ways the old foggies didn't. And the next generation is shameless and lazy. It's part of the cycle of life.
Hmm. I think you may have "stumbled" onto something! Sorry. Just couldn't help myself. (child of the fifties)
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 09:44   #157

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: What did we Learn from the 60's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Can you explain how Paul Ryan and his horrible budget plan are The Administration? ...
Heh heh. Now that the Olympics are over I'm back to no TV but geez Stu, I doubt Mr Ryan thinks PAID IN SS is an entitlement. I heard R&R lost the election. I gotta get out more.

Quote:
... In the mean time the US prisons hold 25% of the [world's] incarcerated population...
Well, I'm guessing that's because some prisons are For Profit Corporations (and they're people too) and lest we forget, prison jobs are government jobs. Sometimes it is simple as Mr Jackson points out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Umm. Reality check. You dont count. The 'government' is now independent of your thoughts, your thinking and your wishes. When Kennedy carked it in '63. it was a warning to everyone that listened that the powers that be were in charge and would remain in charge. A few more deceasements later on hammered home the point.

For those that think that there is a difference between the political parties, you need to think again. Maybe one side will go a softer route to the goal and make it more pleasant on the ride........ but we are going to end up the same destination.

Its money and power. Both sides want it. Both sides know who killed Kennedy. Both sides keep quiet. Kennedys wife knew. Kennedys brothers knew who done dun it........

Its a different world out there.

... Israel will take a caning, Iran will carry on and Russia will push and shove and USA and Europe will push and shove back.

The coming fracas will definitely put a cramp in my sailing.. but might be some cheap late model Catamarans because of it!
Amen brutha. If I lived in Tel Aviv, I'd be preparing to move. It's gonna go POOF one day, and the West will not lift a finger. We can no longer afford to defend much of anything. And the Kennedy thing: I truly feel sorry for what hopefully cannot be more than a handful of people who believe it was as simple as it appears. Simple is only OK if yer last name is Simon.

Quote:
It wont be no cold war. Already I see in this country [Britain] certain provisions taking place behind doors. 'Just in case'.

I wonder if we have any ships left?

sigh
Again, you're preaching to the choir here. Doubtless you've heard of our Homeland Security forces with uniforms and guns and ammo. LOTS of ammo. The official US Armed Forces weren't good enough, I guess, for what's coming. Or, perhaps "THEY" know that some real soldiers will not obey illegal orders.

Good time to have an exit strategy.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 09:56   #158

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

You folks were paying a lot more attention in the 60's than me! Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 11:00   #159

Would it be wrong if I like the idea of increasing the crabbing season. It was better and longer in the 60s

Old 26-04-2014, 11:03   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Would it be wrong if I like the idea of increasing the crabbing season. It was better and longer in the 60s
Ah but you lot over crabbed in the 60s!

Less now
Old 26-04-2014, 11:14   #161

We could have caught the very last one. They bottom feed and are chum for other bay life.so we let them live. Not much to eat they are full of .#%* and have little meat or substance.

Old 26-04-2014, 11:24   #162

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Not so much,here in the PNW, crabs are plenty and delicious. Now that I am in MY 60s I resemble them more and more. So what can I learn from that?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 11:32   #163
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Not so much,here in the PNW, crabs are plenty and delicious. Now that I am in MY 60s I resemble them more and more. So what can I learn from that?
Dont drink the water.
Old 26-04-2014, 11:55   #164

Boat: corsair tri and custom cat

In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find

A slinky a slinky the funnest the best of the toys, a slinky a slinky the favorite of girls and boys.

Their coming to take me away ha ha hee hee to the funny farm.
gypsy wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 12:21   #165

Quote:
Dont drink the water.

That was the 80s. We didn't drink the water in the 80s. I am trying to figure out how I will explain we bought water in the 80s to my Afro Mexican finish bastard grandchild.
Yes sweetie we shipped it from Fiji. No nothing wrong with our water we just liked shipping it from Fiji. It tasted the same but we liked having Fiji water and paying for it. Really it was just water and we paid to have it bottled shipped and trucked here so we could taste Fiji water. Never mind you would have to have been there to understand. Grandpa really you paid to have water pumped into a bottle shipped across the ocean trucked across the country just for the hell of it. Yep those were the days