Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2014, 05:49   #136

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Re: What did we Learn from the 60's?

Truth be told, I wasn't even thinking outside my myopic American viewpoint when I was considering the definition of "poor". I'd consider households that earn below about $100k/year USD to be "poor".

I understand that many of them don't consider themselves poor (they don't know any better), and that "poor" is something of a relative measure.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 05:54   #137

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Office window? is that an euphemism for a FEMA camp?

Actually I think the FEMA camps during and after hurricane Katrina did not have office windows they had cameras and monitors. So I correct this. Please insert "I hope my bastard mixed grandchild doesn't have to waste her day watching your genetic future pollinate the crops. She should be sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 05:55   #138

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: What did we Learn from the 60's?

As so often is the case Captain Sabray, ya done missed the point.

But hey, the sun's out, gotta go.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 06:01   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Actually I think the FEMA camps during and after hurricane Katrina did not have office windows they had cameras and monitors. So I correct this. Please insert "I hope my bastard mixed grandchild doesn't have to waste her day watching your genetic future pollinate the crops. She should be sailing.
Ill have you know the FEMA encampments in Florida after Charley were lovely!

Sailing is better though......
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 06:05   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
Truth be told, I wasn't even thinking outside my myopic American viewpoint when I was considering the definition of "poor". I'd consider households that earn below about $100k/year USD to be "poor".
I understand that many of them don't consider themselves poor (they don't know any better), and that "poor" is something of a relative measure.
What?.........
this has me sat here laughing for reasons other than I should be laughing. Oh well. Life is, life does and its full of people.
Old 26-04-2014, 06:11   #141

Where's your arbitrary definition?
Old 26-04-2014, 06:11   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
As so often is the case Captain Sabray, ya done missed the point.

But hey, the sun's out, gotta go.

I thought you were joking at first then I read it again. Agree something is missing in your point. Maybe you could clear up your point and articulate what you meant. Hope I misread. I have to go too the West wind is blowing from the North and my Asian built hull has sails sewed by Portuguese Americans the mix is saying go sail before Coops sends me a dear Sabray letter.

Old 26-04-2014, 06:20   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Where's your arbitrary definition?
Oh no.... I said I were not playing this game no more in a previous post.

Believe me, I TOTALLY was genuinely amused by the reality of your post, it just I have a hard time thinking someone would not know they were poor by USA standards if they live in Florida....... a GOOD hourly wage there is minimum wage for the majority......... there is always food stamps to save the earned cash for beer baccy and other things......

Nuff said....... thanks for the laugh though.
Old 26-04-2014, 06:32   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I thought you were joking at first then I read it again. Agree something is missing in your point. Maybe you could clear up your point and articulate what you meant. Hope I misread. I have to go too the West wind is blowing from the North and my Asian built hull has sails sewed by Portuguese Americans the mix is saying go sail before Coops sends me a dear Sabray letter.
Portugese Americans? No sir!

they are Americans.

And, I might add, I had a sail fixed by a Portugese guy in Spain one time... best darned repair job I ever saw.
Old 26-04-2014, 06:35   #145

Quote:
Oh no.... I said I were not playing this game no more in a previous post.

Believe me, I TOTALLY was genuinely amused by the reality of your post, it just I have a hard time thinking someone would not know they were poor by USA standards if they live in Florida....... a GOOD hourly wage there is minimum wage for the majority......... there is always food stamps to save the earned cash for beer baccy and other things......

Nuff said....... thanks for the laugh though.
You're welcome.
I always get a good laugh out of folks who think they're "middle class" (presumably because they're just rich enough to not qualify for food stamps) and think they are supporting the lower rungs in any meaningful way with their meager tax contributions. Never mind that they or their rugrats attend(ed) public school.
Old 26-04-2014, 06:39   #146

Jeez please replace my earlier post with Americans that had ancestral ties to Portugal sewed my sails. [emoji274]you have a interesting sense of humor.

Old 26-04-2014, 06:51   #147
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Jeez please replace my earlier post with Americans that had ancestral ties to Portugal sewed my sails. [emoji274]you have a interesting sense of humor.
I lived in the USA for 12 years. My neighbors were all first or 2nd generation immigrants. Thats what USA is, a melting pot. However, once they obtained their passports, they would proudly and loudly state they were AMERICANS.

I never wanted to be an AMERICAN. I have enough passports thank you. I did however pay all taxes and requirements due as requested to the USA I.R.S. (also known as B.A.S.T.A.R.D.S)

There will always be prejudice regarding illegal immigrants in the USA. Trouble is, and the reality is, that the government condone and have no intention in stopping it from the MExican side. We see token attempts, but.......

Now heritage is a wonderful thing. Your American sailmaker of Portugese descent, learned a skill as a young person and brought that to the table in becoming a citizen.

Dont forget Bill Gates and Ted Turner and others want to reduce world population to 2.5 billion..... wonder whom they will choose to eradicate first?

Ted Turner has 9 (admitted to) children. maybe should have started population control at home?

Tis all tosh.
Old 26-04-2014, 06:55   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You're welcome.
I always get a good laugh out of folks who think they're "middle class" (presumably because they're just rich enough to not qualify for food stamps) and think they are supporting the lower rungs in any meaningful way with their meager tax contributions. Never mind that they or their rugrats attend(ed) public school.
Let me point out to you a reality encountered in California. A qualified Doctor, starting a practice would take about 5 years to earn 100K. I knew several Doctors who earned less than 30K and were supplementing income by working two jobs. I know of a few that gave up and went and got a job in real estate or selling boats.

In California, a two person practice or a 20 person practice was the optimum way to earn a living. Better that the two person practice were family members and could share the income. Middle class ceased to exist a long time ago. Either you have money with surplus or you are scraping by.
Old 26-04-2014, 07:30   #149

Quote:
Let me point out to you a reality encountered in California. A qualified Doctor, starting a practice would take about 5 years to earn 100K. I knew several Doctors who earned less than 30K and were supplementing income by working two jobs. I know of a few that gave up and went and got a job in real estate or selling boats.

In California, a two person practice or a 20 person practice was the optimum way to earn a living. Better that the two person practice were family members and could share the income. Middle class ceased to exist a long time ago. Either you have money with surplus or you are scraping by.
For people who like to consider themselves "middle class", a fun exercise is to take your federal budget and divide it by the workforce. Then look up your tax table and see how much $ you would need to earn as an individual to even hit the break even point. Who's the welfare queen now?

My point is that most 1st world people are woefully underpaid for their labor, and don't even know it. "Middle class" my butt.
Old 26-04-2014, 07:38   #150

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
I thought you were joking at first then I read it again. Agree something is missing in your point. Maybe you could clear up your point and articulate what you meant. Hope I misread. I have to go too the West wind is blowing from the North and my Asian built hull has sails sewed by Portuguese Americans the mix is saying go sail before Coops sends me a dear Sabray letter. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point was simply that what we learned from the 60s was that if we set up unearned "entitlement" programs (free money, food, fones, whatever) for folks, the demand would outrace the supply.

It seems clear to me we have arrived at that point of ever-increasing demand for free stuff meeting ever-decreasing supply of same. I then identified three groups that appear to be rushing headlong into society with their hands out. I could have, and perhaps should have, included the poor whites, as well, altho they don't appear to be breeding at quite the same astronomical rate.

Young people are now looking down their pimpled noses at us 60s oldsters, forgetting or never learning that we actually earned our keep (not to overlook safeguarding the home turf for them to bitch about us). Regardless of the current admin's opinion, Social Security for those that paid in is not an entitlement.

My post, on its face, seemed worse than it really was. LBJ didn't create the Great Society legislation but he did take the continuing hit for it but it really was Kennedy's goal. Nobody says "60s" more than an assassinated president.

And to be fair, I fully agree with Delancy's point that President Bush did a lot of harm to the country hisself.

It's just not as simple as Dems v. Repubs, we're way past that. And as I also mentioned, IMO, we have passed the point of recovery. Can anyone even imagine the FUBAR that would commence if in the almost zero chance the Red Ties should win in 2016 and repeal the ACA?

Like I said, tho, there's no chance of that. So the 60s taught us what not to do but left no way out.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote