Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2014, 10:04   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: What did we Learn from the 60's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's because we don't have shares in the anchor company. We do own (in one way or another) the refinery and its problems.

I think we have learned a lot. We've learned how to manage dissenters, marginalize protesters, and destroy those who question the status-quo. We've learned a lot about how to control the population using bobbles, debt, and fear. We've learned how to turn virtually all mass media into overt propagandists for the masters of the State.

... we've learned a plenty of things .
LOLOL....... not quite Mike.

WE......... dont own anything.
  • We are part of the financial system and only think we own things.
  • Your house may be paid for with your money.
  • Miss your tax payments to the State and you will see who owns it.
  • Go off grid from all services in that house and the State will redirect your thinking.
  • The money you placed in the bank is not your money.
  • You only have use of it.
  • It actually belongs to the bank.
  • Your boat belongs to you. Dont insure it, park in the wrong place or dont have the correct licences..... see who owns it.
There is a 2% minority that own EVERYTHING, and of that 2%, only a few control everything.

• Do you not think that the military of the world could clean up the piracy on our seas?
  • DO you think that the wars have anything to do with the reasons stated that countries go to war?
  • Do you think Obamacare is about health care for the nation?
  • Do you think we have any chance against the entrenched powers that be?
THEY are organised. we the little people, although large in numbers are not. We have been disunited, stripped of money, stripped of rights and are milling around confused and angry.

In Europe and America the 'fear of terrorism" makes us beg for protection against something that never existed....

'Representatives" are people not chosen by the people, rather they are the choice of the party already chosen to be our representative and with a pre set agenda like it or lump it.. Everyone works together, both sides of the house, and we "the people" are the fodder for it all.

Nothing has changed in thousands of years and the victories we win are minor.

We live in a world of smoke and mirrors and anyone who gets in the way soon is removed.

There.......... now back to boating.....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 10:14   #62

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

"You mean like these pussies getting maced for your upsidedown mortgages?"
I also agree with all of the points Don just presented. Begin with Eisenhowers warning of the lurking dragon he warned us about, his original notes read, "corporate military industrial complex", they dropped , "corporate". The madness of war was played out in our living rooms. Found out that when people have real news they tend to trust their instincts and back away from such insanity. Look at how the media is controlled by the machine today. Think about how much you really know about the people living their day to day to day lives in the middle east. Do you think that vacuum is an accident? The machine learned more than we did, don't educate the population. Shoot those who favor a, "government is here to serve the people" agenda. We learned that information is our friend. We learned that the forces of good and evil are forever present. We learned that we have the power to stop war, and did it. Does it strike anyone else how odd it is that we haven't won a war since WWII? We leaned that good always trumps evil in the end. As or those who claim all went into the greed game? Not in the world I live in. Most that i grew up with were permanently changed, by the forces of war or peace. They don't draft kids today because the game was changed, they won't go! Today they(the machine) make ******** offers of collage, and tech training. Look at the stats regarding outcomes of the offers. When, prior to the 60 s, did a president have a hit list on his desk that included pop singers like John Lennon. Or when before the60 s would such a list become public knowledge. Many many cultural changes took place then. Far more than in previous generations. And those changes continue. I have younger kids around me a lot these days Their kinder, more thoughtful, and much smarter than were. We took them the curtain, they've looked behind it. The genie is out of the bottle, i think it came out in the60 s. There are alternatives that were not there before. Instead of a single peace sign shared between individuals that same experience is being shared globally.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 10:17   #63

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: What did we Learn from the 60's?

Heh. I turned 18 in 1960 in Southern Cal. I went from '40 Ford woody jokin tokin dumbass hi school hero Joe Surf to something slightly leaner and magnitudes meaner in that infamous decade.

Can't remember the 60s? Yeah right. It's a semi-clever saying but the reality is the 1960s were unforgettable and saw a sea change in American political thought and action that has changed the world. And not in a good way. Great Society my butt!

Fast forward a zillion years:

My musically/mathematically gifted son, now 26 and a new dad himself, has long considered himself a hippy. [Snicker]. Thanks to modern electronics, I Paypal-ed him some diaper dough. He emailed back his thanks yesterday with the comment that he was tired of being a starving artist and needed to make some money.

Deja Moo indeed.

I think he's quite fortunate to have found that particular enlightenment so early on. That's what we learned from the 60s.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 10:42   #64
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=weavis;1526005In Europe and America the 'fear of terrorism" makes us beg for protection against something that never existed....
QUOTE]

Europe and the UK have lived with terrorism for a long, long time.. we just get on with life regardless of the IRA, Libyans, Palestinians etc.. the bombs in Coventry and Birmingham in the 70's/80's did not change our way of life or bring out armed officers on the streets... this paranoia is influenced by a country to our West who have been so inured with fear of 'The Red Savage'.. 'Reds under the bed'.. 'Kill a Gook for God and save our country' they need to carry guns every where... and lately its the turn of the Muslims who were pissed off because of the idiotic invention of the tale of Iraqi aid to Al-Qaida and WMD.. and the morons believed it all...
Iraq 2 was inevitable after GB senior and his advisors created the first one.. egging Kuwait on to try and rip off former 'Golden Boy of the USA' Saddam over oil export costs.. you think a country with a native population of less than a million is gonna try that without serious backing..
Dream On..
But that's just my opinion

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 11:06   #65

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

If you want to change the world first you must change yourself. Turn on tune in and drop out was right, just harder than it looked.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 11:14   #66

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

And this is how the mistakes of the father s are passed on to the sons. I consider the help i give to my children the price i pay for their time spent educating me. Tell him to tell you who Richard Feynman, Terrance Mckenna, and John. Cage are, and what their contribution to the world meant. Try to pay attention.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 11:47   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=boatman61;1526028]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis;1526005In Europe and America the 'fear of terrorism" makes us beg for protection against something that never existed....

Europe and the UK have lived with terrorism for a long, long time.. we just get on with life regardless of the IRA, Libyans, Palestinians etc.. the bombs in Coventry and Birmingham in the 70's/80's did not change our way of life or bring out armed officers on the streets... this paranoia is influenced by a country to our West who have been so inured with fear of 'The Red Savage'.. 'Reds under the bed'.. 'Kill a Gook for God and save our country' they need to carry guns every where... and lately its the turn of the Muslims who were pissed off because of the idiotic invention of the tale of Iraqi aid to Al-Qaida and WMD.. and the morons believed it all...
Iraq 2 was inevitable after GB senior and his advisors created the first one.. egging Kuwait on to try and rip off former 'Golden Boy of the USA' Saddam over oil export costs.. you think a country with a native population of less than a million is gonna try that without serious backing..
Dream On..
But that's just my opinion
So..... Which Westerly under 35 foot is the best?
Old 24-04-2014, 11:58   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=weavis;1526069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

So..... Which Westerly under 35 foot is the best?
A Longbow of course...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img051.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	79771  

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-04-2014, 12:00   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=boatman61;1526078]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

A Longbow of course...
OK you passed
Old 24-04-2014, 12:05   #70

If there's a problem with young people it's inevitably down to adults.

Seems to me that some time well before the seventies (starting I guess in the fifties) kids were discovered as a vast new resource for business activities, a profit centre like no other. With the invention of the 'teenager', adults started sucking up to kids in general, seeing them as prospective allies in the battle to liberate money from the wallets of their parents, which has been escalating ever since.

(... think "American Graffiti" - I do realise it's not a documentary, but neither is it straight parody)

The seventies was when the children of the fifties became established, and after a decade of recycling themselves into the gene pool, the tendency went viral.

Before that time, adults generally held the line, presenting a united front against the natural attempts of other peoples' children to coopt more resources, and power, than they needed or deserved.

And against that united front, it was difficult for kids to avoid becoming adults, eventually.

Now the tables are turned. It is increasingly difficult for kids to become adults, and one reason is that kids have tendencies which make them much "better" consumers than adults can ever be.

So it suits the immediate needs of business (and hence of us all) to encourage kids to remain kids in perpetuity, to the greatest extent possible.

Which turns out to be more than anyone would have predicted, in the fifties ... but perhaps not in the seventies.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 12:05   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=weavis;1526080]
Quote:

OK you passed
Ahhhh... but do you recognise the anchorage... tho' these days its moorings only... sigh

Old 24-04-2014, 12:06   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=boatman61;1526084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

Ahhhh... but do you recognise the anchorage... tho' these days its moorings only... sigh
Da damned Man!!

Old 24-04-2014, 12:16   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To really piss off the boating community, and REAL attention should be paid to this.......
WHEN a skirmish starts in the middle East and Russia, whole swathes of cruising grounds will be unavailable.

All of this to start with.

Old 24-04-2014, 12:18   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

No sweat.. don't much like those area's for sailing anyway..

Old 24-04-2014, 12:21   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No sweat.. don't much like those area's for sailing anyway..
Yep. I just want Portugal, Spain, (both coasts), East side of France and West of Italy.. plus the Balearics......

The other sailing areas will be full of big grey ships cruising at 30 knots and not worried about the small blips on their RADAR screens