Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 05:57   #31
cpa

Boat: Compass 47
Re: west marine's pricing is so weird

We had a great group of people at my local west marine. I needed to buy 5 group 31 deep cycle batteries (WM price was $250 for a battery) and they gave me nearly 50% off. They matched the price of the Deka dealer in Fort Lauderdale. About 6 months ago they were all shipped to other stores and they brought in a whole new crew of young employees.

My beef with WM is they bought their competition and then raised prices and closed stores. Because they have no local competition, they became sloppy with their inventory control and rarely have what I need in stock.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 06:02   #32

This is what happens in free market monopoly is the goal capitalism. Consumer is screwed.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 06:10   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

The immortal words of the Gordon Gekko character in Wall Street...
"Greed is good!"
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 06:22   #34

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Come on folks, I know theres local stores in your area !! Yall need to look around!! Our local marine store down the bayou, just had Offshore Life rafts on sale for 1/3 less the WM. It pays to help keep these local folks in Bizz!! Try your local folks before ya go WM you might be suprised, and have a bit more money in your pocket!! just sayin help out by keeping your locals in Bizz
Old 20-03-2013, 05:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Most of the good WM employees work there just to get the employee pricing. Believe me, I know...

Frankly, I like supporting the local stores. But it's gotten WAY tougher. The San Antonio store closes at 5pm. WTH? 5pm? And, they are closed on Sunday. CLOSED ON SUNDAY!!! It's no wonder that store is failing. When you ask the manager about it, she says it's out of her control.

The Corpus Christi store is pretty decent, and we WERE regulars there, on our way to Port Aransas. But now, with the 50 mile radius rule (this is TEXAS - NOTHING is within 50 miles), I don't even bother. Defender or Jamestown both deliver within 4 days. To my house. No hurry to make an absurd closing time.
The hours of most chandleries kill me. I want to shake their shoulders and yell "you're not a bank!"
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:17   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Come on folks, I know theres local stores in your area !! Yall need to look around!! Our local marine store down the bayou, just had Offshore Life rafts on sale for 1/3 less the WM. It pays to help keep these local folks in Bizz!! Try your local folks before ya go WM you might be suprised, and have a bit more money in your pocket!! just sayin help out by keeping your locals in Bizz
Very true
matetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:48   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Wanted to buy two spare racor primary filters. For what wm wanted for two i buy could four on line w free shipping and not pay tax. I told they guy and he said they no longer price match internet, not defender or anyone. However he cut ne a nice enough break and i got them anyhow.

It is not West marines fault they are high. It is the manufacturers. Its time people recognized that. The manufacturers of so many products are whores for the dollar they sell to companies that are willing to sell on the internet (i.e. they have no overhead) and make a fraction of the profit a retail store needs to survive.
You people keep bitching about Wm, its not their fault and when are forced to close you will bitch more when you are forced to wait a week or two longer cause you cant find what you need right away.
Where did you come up with this nonsense ??
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 11:26   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i found 2 sets of racor fuel filters with the inserts(filters) here in mexico at marine swap meets at marinas for 50 dollars a set. one fits yanmar and one is in use on my perkins 4-108.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote