Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2009, 12:10   #151
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Incredible.
Tellie is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 12:20   #152
Registered User
 
Endojoe's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: D/FW, TX
Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Posts: 77
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
I just look at who ever has the prettier charts and...BAM...I'm sold. I'll jump on anybody's bandwagon so long as there's a beautiful Power Point Presentation to go along with it. Anybody got a good Power Point on the Goat thing, BTW? LMAO
__________________

__________________
Endojoe is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 12:29   #153
Registered User
 
S/V Illusion's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FLORIDA
Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
government climate experts? well maybe on the payroll as long as they agree with al gore. the theory on carbon dioxide emissions is just that .. and ocean acidification is an estimate about what might happen in the future.
And you know this how? Please enlighten us.

"Estimates" and measured data are mutually exclusive things. Predictions are in large part extrapolations of valid, measured data. It's called a trend analogous to the carbon trend - coincidence? There is no "estimating" involved.
__________________
S/V Illusion is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 12:38   #154
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endojoe View Post
Anybody got a good Power Point on the Goat thing, BTW? LMAO
It's a faith thing


But this is part of our earlier work.



Took us a little while to figure out that Goats worked better than Cats...........but as you can see we too have science
David_Old_Jersey is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 12:51   #155
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
I suppose you can try and make me a hitleresque straw man. However, the fact is, when parents tell their children incorrect things (black people are inferior, the earth is 6000 years old, evolution doesn't happen, global warming is a myth, etc...) the schools are there to teach them what is correct. I'm sure the parents don't like this. Too bad.
And schools in the UK teach that the Holocaust never happenned and the schools here don't teach the Constitution in whole any more. I've even had teachers here in FL tell my kids that they're not as smart as the Latino children because they don't speak two languages; maybe they should be nominated for supreme court based on their experiences? Home schooling is looking better and better everyday.
__________________
amytom is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 12:54   #156
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Victoria
Boat: S2 35c
Posts: 113
So when has the climate not changed ??. All bow down to the god of carbon and the religion of global warming whoops I mean climate change since the temperature has been cooler the last few years , but then again cooling is part of warming so eventually the earth will warm so much we will freeze to death.
So the climate is changing that is agreed on but as for the reason that is speculation all climate models to date fail to work in reverse and demonstrate historical climate changes if the model is correct it should be able to predict changes on a time line in the future and the past, there is a lot of research attributing changes in earths historical temperatures to sun activity not CO2. This is research done by top scientists who previously worked for the IPPC and now have left due to the misrepresentation of their work. they are considered heritics , deniers , and are routinely threatened for their scientific research. "the verdict is it" scream the zealots "no more research, no opposition, retrain and jail the deniers.
The intolerance shown by the "global warming " movement toward anything opposing their views and research flies in the face of real science and the continuing need to challenge the popular opinion and search for the truth. The world turned out to be not flat despite the consensus of scientists who were in cooperation with the political leaders of the day.
Retraining .......more like brainwashing.
__________________
Maggie-K is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 12:57   #157
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Clear Lake, TX
Boat: Columbia 34
Posts: 87
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmick39 View Post
Why the analogy? because volcanoes, each year emit more "greenhouse gases" and toxic gases(to human and most other life) EACH Year than Man has in the last century.
Would you mind providing your source for this 'fact'?

This statement really bothered me, and I thought perhaps it was simply my somewhat misanthropic demeanor protesting; so I googled, but couldn't find anything on the net to support your statement. Instead everything I found read more like this:

"Our studies show that globally, volcanoes on land and under the sea release a total of about 200 million tonnes of CO2 annually....while 200 million tonnes of CO2 is large, the global fossil fuel CO2 emissions for 2003 tipped the scales at 26.8 billion tonnes. Thus, not only does volcanic CO2 not dwarf that of human activity, it actually comprises less than 1 percent of that value. " - provided by scientists at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory. Feb 2007

...snopes.com did quote something similar to your statement as an 'urban legend'.

You mentioned that everything hinges on the big word IF in an earlier post, and you are absolutely right. And IF there is a chance that we are damaging our world faster then it would damage itself, and IF there is the slightest chance that calculated global economical change would make a lasting difference, and IF in the process of changing we would be making the world a more beautiful place - what is the logical reason not to do anything?

Before you answer: If you are just poking to get a reaction (as it seems to me may be the case)- to each his own; but if you are truly attempting to enlighten people, false facts and insulting comments don't seem to work that well - at least on me.

...but David's goat idea on the other hand might get you elected to office if you play your cards right.
__________________
texwards is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 13:00   #158
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Clear Lake, TX
Boat: Columbia 34
Posts: 87
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Took us a little while to figure out that Goats worked better than Cats...........
aw man...I knew I was doing something wrong!
__________________
texwards is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 13:03   #159
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Boat: Currenty a 2011 26' Sailfish CC
Posts: 13
AnotherT34C, a re-post to a previously similar accusation:

Quote:
Sneuman:

PLEASE explain how bringing up history is the ultimate defense of a losing argument. Your bringing up Hitler is certainly an extreme example of re-education and does not have much validity in this argument. I was using the idea of re-education to merely bring up the point that the idea of taking someones children and re-educating them is absolutely ridiculous, and quite frankly very wrong.

Re-education has been used throughout history, primarily in religious cults such as The Way International et all.

Also please look at my posts and you will notice I am not really arguing for or against Man Made Global Warming.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

- mark twain
vera libertas is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 13:04   #160
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 1,296
I think David was on the right track but got it wrong in the end.

30,000 renowned experts agree that all cats are crazy. However, cats are only infectious when awake, and they sleep 16-18 hours per day. Clearly, there would be more renowned experts if cats didnít sleep so much.

I donít think there are any credible studies on goats.
__________________
"There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats."

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 13:39   #161
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
What a read this thread was. Somewhere in the middle is where the truth is. Hey captmick, if you ever get over near Jax drop me a line. I can safely say this. You're one hell of a colorful character.......i2f
__________________
SAILING is not always a slick magazine cover!
BORROWED..No single one of is as smart as all of us!
http://sailingwithcancer.blogspot.com/
imagine2frolic is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 14:08   #162
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,592
Images: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
... I donít think there are any credible studies on goats.
Youíre kidding - right? If you're not, I am.
Goats are well studied.
Just a few of the Goat Studies, of which Iím aware:
http://www.tanzaniagateway.org/ik/do...zarootbark.pdf
Pestivirus infections in Norway. Epidemiological studies in goats
SpringerLink - Journal Article
New studies on goat milk show it is more beneficial to health than cow milk
Goats Could Replace Machines Making Malaria Vaccine
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 14:18   #163
Eternal Member
 
Chief Engineer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North of Baltimore
Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Posts: 3,798
A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.

although two of my friends are recovering Obamanites........

they went throught a self directed intervention.....

they are OK today ODAT
__________________
Chief Engineer is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 14:19   #164
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Goats are well studied.
Gord, I stand corrected.

OTOH, I would like to know how many of those goat researchers spent time in close proximity to wide awake cats.
__________________
"There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats."

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline  
Old 29-07-2009, 15:35   #165
Registered User
 
Christian Van H's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Princeton, NJ
Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Posts: 2,097
Images: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
I donít think there are any credible studies on goats.
The Jamaicans have studied goats. Their Jerk goat is to die for. They also jerk pork, chicken and beef. In fact, there is virtually no meat they cant jerk. IMHO, Chris
__________________

__________________
www.anacapas.com

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
West Marine Suprise ksmith Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 45 14-05-2008 07:32



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.