Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2015, 10:24   #91

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32
Re: West Marine changing strategies: likely de-emphasising sailing related support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
You don't understand. This is the whiney sailors forum, not the actually do something forum.
It happens every year.
whiney sailors forum... I like it!
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 10:45   #92

Re: West Marine changing strategies: likely de-emphasising sailing related support

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
whiney sailors forum... I like it!
whiney FRUGAL sailors

No wonder WM doesn't want us as customers. Dem beamers with their fancy howaine shirts gonna look way cool in da clubs, mon.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 11:57   #93

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

Failure of the Captain to plan maintain adequate spares and stores on his vessel does not give passage rights to blame purveyors for his nearsightedness. Condemnation of employees from said purveyors is misplaced self anger for failing to plan. Expecting free technical advise from retail employees because one is too cheap to seek assistance from trained technicians at qualified establishments with necessary tooling and then complaining about his return value in a public forum only exposes the true weakness of this conundrum.

Wes
Old 31-01-2015, 12:07   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Dreams View Post
Failure of the Captain to plan maintain adequate spares and stores on his vessel does not give passage rights to blame purveyors for his nearsightedness. Condemnation of employees from said purveyors is misplaced self anger for failing to plan. Expecting free technical advise from retail employees because one is too cheap to seek assistance from trained technicians at qualified establishments with necessary tooling and then complaining about his return value in a public forum only exposes the true weakness of this conundrum.

Wes
???

Whatever.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 12:20   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Must be another sign of the times.

Folks don't use phones to make telephone calls, and WM probably doesn't do texts very well.

If that's the issue, why not CALL AHEAD and simply ask?
I called the Fort Lauderdale store to see if a particular windlass was in stock. I eventually got an "associate" or whatever to not only ck the computer but to go to the shelf to check if it was actually there. He assured me it was, I reviewed the make and model etc and he triple assured me that he had his hands on it! So I take a long pain in the ass bus ride to the store, go to the shelf, and sure enough, no windlass....but a similar one. Get the dude I talked to and he goes, no! its there, he goes and proudly points out the wrong windlass! He apologies, my afternoon is wasted.
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 12:38   #96

Boat: C&C Landfall 35 HiHo

Our WM is fantastic, the staff really knows their stuff and are most friendly, truly a pleasure to do business with. Always get the Red Carpet treatment, the customer service is above reproach. I've been boating and restoring, rebuilding boats for years and we always love sharing different approaches and new product evaluations. Hell I make a trip out just to make sure they all are doing ok, they are like family but they treat me better!!
Hi Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 15:29   #97

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I've bought some clothes, it's nice to have the clothes available. Unfortunately, they absolutely gutted the fishing section in the Fairhaven, Ma store. The new Warwick RI store still seems under stocked. Fairhaven has much of the clothing hanging on racks ten feet high. You can't sell clothes people can't reach without asking for sales help. Warwick does not have a fitting room. I have owned a retail store in the past. Their clothing strategy is not well executed yet. If they don't get it together soon, these two stores will fail. The one in Warwick took over a Bed Bath and Beyond location that was destroyed in the March 2010 floods. It will flood again.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 16:04   #98

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Ho View Post
Our WM is fantastic, the staff really knows their stuff and are most friendly, truly a pleasure to do business with. Always get the Red Carpet treatment, the customer service is above reproach. I've been boating and restoring, rebuilding boats for years and we always love sharing different approaches and new product evaluations. Hell I make a trip out just to make sure they all are doing ok, they are like family but they treat me better!!
Sounds like a great store. So it's probably on the chopping block...
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 16:13   #99
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Well, it'll be good for Defender
west marine was good for a few things but in general a complete and total ripoff
Old 31-01-2015, 16:26   #100

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I'm no apologist for WM but I have generally had good experiences and good service from the several stores I've shopped. Not everything I've wanted was always there but could be ordered in a reasonable time. Some staff are more knowledgeable than others so you may have to ask who knows plumbing or electronics or fiberglass repair best to get to the right person. You can find things for less on the internet but often it's worth a small premium to walk in and get what you want now. Personally, I hope WM continues to be readily available in so many ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 17:19   #101
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I've been in good West Marines, and pretty sorry ones. Fortunately in the Kemah area, we have one of the best I've ever seen. I'll give Jason Hudson a shout out. He runs their rigging department. He has worked on my boat, and stays extremely busy. He does first class work and knows his stuff. Jay Bailey, another employee here is also very knowledgeable about boats, and cruising. He has helped us out with planning our first trip east. Plenty of other very fine employees at this location. I don't see this store backing away from sailing vessels at all. There are too many here to not take advantage of their needs. Maybe it just depends on location?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 17:35   #102

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one with the experience of calling ahead, being told the part is in stock only to find out after a 30-40min drive that the associate who told me that never bothered to walk 20 feet to look on the shelves and just went with what the store computer told him.
I've always found that WM people are willing to take the items off the shelf and hold them in your name. That way they HAVE to go look.

Fair winds,
Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 20:25   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Listening to the conference call only emphasized that the traditional West Marine will no longer exist, with a continued increased emphasis on nontraditional merchandize.

Their holiday sales increase came substantially from that segment, and it is an effort to have sales show less seasonal variance.

Smart retailing perhaps, but I reiterate a concern that I stated in the OP that this does not serve boat owners well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-02-2015, 06:39   #104

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

I rarely go to WM. Spent under $100 total there in the last 3 years.

I needed a short NMEA2000 cable - figured I would go to WM instead of waiting for defender, et al.

walked into the New Bedford WM..they turned the store into 'THe Gap' 100% of the main salesfloor, about 2.5 acres, was all clothing, hats, shoes, etc...

Sailing section GONE. Electronics display - gone (moved to a tiny area with only a few items)...

the item I went for - ANY Brand 1-2' NMEA2000 cable - NONE in stock - had to be ordered... I was beside myself. i was willing to pay a premium, over defender, to get the cable to finish a project...ONLY NMEA2k cable they had was a backbone kit. I mean...its not like the standard that every major electronics company is using now...oh wait.. it is!

Oh well.. No loss..got it on ebay for half of defenders price..
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:03   #105

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
I rarely go to WM. Spent under $100 total there in the last 3 years.

Great customer support........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, sail, sailing