Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 09:49   #226

Boat: Able 50
Re: West Marine changing strategies: likely de-emphasising sailing related support

A few posters have said that it costs money to have marine hardware sitting around on the shelves. If that is the case then how come it doesn't cost money to have fashion items hanging from racks.

Any accountants out there ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:08   #227

Re: West Marine changing strategies: likely de-emphasising sailing related support

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
A few posters have said that it costs money to have marine hardware sitting around on the shelves. If that is the case then how come it doesn't cost money to have fashion items hanging from racks.

Any accountants out there ?
My weakest link has always been math. But, I'll make a stab at answering from a W.M. viewpoint.

Cost for a 'lifestyle' item, particularly in clothing is very low 'cause the folks who make them are paid peanuts and live dirt poor. So, not much in inventory cost is a concern. A trigger type snap shackle on the other hand costs more at wholesale, retails for $150 and is not going to sell as fast. Even if the 'lifestyle' item is sold below cost to make space, no big loss. Not so with the shackle. It's a matter of proportion.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:57   #228

Boat: Rafiki 37

As a Canadian I'm quite happy to see WM go away. They never really committed to the Canadian market, never bothering (except one year) to produce a Canadian-priced catalog, and not even having Canadian pricing or shipping from their website.

When they first opened up their Queens Quay store in Toronto they seemed to hire many knowledgable local boaters, which was great. I could go in and brainstorm an issue I was having. But over the years I noticed their staff slowly shift mostly to kids (early 20-somethings), most of whom had no clue about the products they were selling.

I'm glad they're gone. Makes room for local chandlers who actually care about the people they serve.
Old 05-05-2015, 14:06   #229
CLOD

Boat: none

Was at the Woburn Ma store today at 11am. Lots of cars in the parking lot for a Tuesday non lunch hour so I don't think WM is going to die soon. I don't where they were because I was after hardware, so maybe they really were doing fishing and lifestyle stuff.

BTW - they had the adapter I was looking for and it was $4.98. Don't know if I got ripped off, but don't much care.
Old 05-05-2015, 15:05   #230

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

I've always felt WM was way over priced. Never liked them... Gave them a fair try but don't like the trendy "boat store" atmosphere. I'll stick with the small Chandlery with knowledgable folks. If large purchase is needed I check Defender where I also find boating people able to answer my questions.
I won't miss West Marine - ever!
Kaboom!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:35   #231

Boat: Tayana 47

Defender is a real boating store with knowledgeable folks both in store and available on the phone. WM used to be that way too. Online shopping is so easy now and shipping is streamlined so most things can be had with no extra shipping charges within 4 or 5 days and oftentimes even quicker. Unless there just happened to be a WM store within just a few miles of where I needed the part and I needed it ASAP, I can't see a reason to buy from them. Luckily, I live pretty close to Hamilton Marine's main store so if it's something I need right away that they have in stock, I can drive there and pick it up.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, sail, sailing