Ok, I guess I need to clarify. I guess I didn't think about the people who would read this entry that does not know us or follow our web site. I was asked to report if and when we saw oil so I did. We had a very good reason for "deliberately" sailing into this area WE HAD TO GET HOME!!!
We left in January from Kemah
and have been in the Exuma's. We HAD to get home. We didn't even know about the spilll for several weeks and then getting information was difficult. We were in remote
places most of the time and did not have phone
or internet service
a lot of the time.
Our home is in Beaumont, Texas. Our boat is in Kemah
, Texas because my husband will be staying on SYL while he is on a turnaround in Baytown.
We did try to "steer" clear as much as possible. That is why we went intracoastal. Our only other option was to go by way of Cuba
and go around south of the spill. We know of another couple who left when we did and chose that route
because they had inboard motors (we have two outboards). They also had another couple fly down to help them and had all the appropriate charts
capacity. It was just my husband and I, we did not have charts
nor the fuel
capacity. We made the right decision. We did fine. Our boat needs clean up on the hull. Our motors are fine and had the oil been thicker we would have closed thruhulls but it was not necessary.
I hope this clears things up. Pictures and details are on our web site, www.sittononthebeach.com
Thank you for your concern. We are home safe and sound.
Sea Yawl Later