Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 20:25   #1

Boat: C&C 38'
We Are Coming Home

A good friend and former US Marine sent us a bunch of music CD’s. It took them a month and two days to reach us. He knew what I liked and sent those but he also sent unfamilar songs that he thought that we would like.

When the first Charlie Daniels song got to the point where he recites the pledge of allegiance my wife, Denver, stood up and put her hand over her heart. I stood facing her and we joined Charlie Daniels in the pledge of allegiance right here in our African living room. It brought tears to our eyes and choked us up.

We will leave South Africa to retire and return home to the USA in a little over 7 months. We first left our homeland in 1999. We will return in 2009. What a tumultuous ten years. When we left one could look us up on the Internet and send us messages. We were in Chile on 9-11-2001. Then the world changed. We were taught personal security. Can you believe that -- American missionaries needing security measures! We were told, "Stay indoors and keep a low profile." I replied, “I did not become a missionary to keep a low profile and stay in my home!” All our names and addresses were removed from the Internet. The next time we came back to the USA there were young men in the airport armed with automatic weapons. They made me put my pocketknife into checked luggage.

Even with the security measures some of our missionary colleagues were blown up. Several were imprisoned. Some missionaries here in Africa were hacked to death with machetes. I still fume over the TV pictures of Moslems in Cape Town tromping on the flags of Israel and the United States while they burned George W. Bush in effigy.

It will be good to get back home. It will be good to see our children and grandchildren. Denver's daddy died while we were over here. She could not go back for the funeral. We are hoping to get back while her mother is still alive. Our three youngest grandchildren were born while we were overseas. We have some catching up to do. My high school is having our 50-year anniversary but I am going to have to miss it. That is a shame.

So to that old friend, thanks for helping us remember that we are Americans.

God bless America
Old 07-11-2008, 23:10   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
God Bless you Cowboy Sailor and Brother.

Keep the faith its his battle to win anyway
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:33   #3

Boat: Reniell, 1975 & 2600- lazy Dazs
Send a message via AIM to wlshor
Cowboy Sailor, Thank you and your wife for your faithful service to others. You gave up much in order to do so. It is folk like you that I look up to. You are America heros. I pray that your coming home will be quick and easy. And that you will find your love ones well. Wilson
wlshor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:56   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Hopefully your sacrifices were rewarded along the way, and you have no regrets. BEST WISHES in getting home, and being safe. Like everything else in our lives. Not much stays the same.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 13:36   #5

Boat: Cal 34
Sounds like an interesting life. I commend you for expressing your freedom, even if I disagree with your chosen vocation.

Unfortunately, when I travel, I say I'm Canadian. Foreigners are visibly more friendly.

Things that make you go "hmmm...."
HobieFan is offline   Reply With Quote