Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 03:35   #1

Boat: 1976,Irwin 37 CC, Blue Bayou
WD-40 and it's various uses

A lady got up very early one morning and went outside to pickup the Sunday paper, she noticed someone had sprayed red paint all around the sides of the neighbors brand new beige truck. She went over and woke him up and gave him the bad news. He was, of course extremely upset.

And they stood there trying to figure out what could be done about the problem. They decided there wasn't much recourse but to wait until Monday, since nothing was open. Just then another neighbor came out of his house, surveyed the situation and immediately went to get his WD-40 out and cleaned the red paint off with it. Guess What! It cleaned up that paint without harming the original paint on the truck! I'm impressed!!

Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for A rust preventative solvent and de greaser to protect Missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three Technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'water displacement' compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you...' IT IS MADE FROM FISH OIL' . When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It is a miracle! Then try it on your stovetop... It is now shinier than it has ever been before.

1) Protects silver from tarnishing.
2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4) Gives floors that `just-waxed` sheen without making it slippery.
5) Keeps flies off cows.
6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7) Removes lipstick stains.
8) Loosens stubborn zippers.
9) Untangles jewelry chains.
10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
18) It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car. Removed quickly, with WD-40!
20) Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21) Lubricates gear shift on lawn mowers.
22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, well as vinyl bumpers.
26) Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27 ) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31) Removes splattered grease on stove.
32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35) Removes all traces of duct tape.
36) Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain
37) Florida's favorite use 'Cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
38) Protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time.
40) Ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
42) If you've washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and Presto! Lipstick is gone!
43) If you spray WD-40 on the distributor cap, it will displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

Keep a can of WD-40 in your kitchen cabinet. It is good for oven burns or any other type of burn. It takes the burned feeling away and heals with NO scarring.
mmckee1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:48   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Thanks for the list, mmckee. It's good for removing the residual adhesive from price stickers, too.

But, I was told by a marine electronics technician that WD-40 is his "job security". He said that when it's sprayed on electronic devices, it works it's way under the plastic coating of the sensitive parts, allowing them to corrode once the WD-40 evaporates. It will even work it's way trough wiring, under the insulation, and into the electronic components.

BTW, it was Carl, at Marine Electronics in Deltaville (not far from you) who told me this.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:52   #3

Boat: 1976,Irwin 37 CC, Blue Bayou
Hud,
It's really a good thought to add your info concerning the electronics aspect for the use of WD-40. I always keep a can in both my car and on our boat, with is being a 1976 Irwin 37CC, I need all the help I can get.

Take Care,

Mike
mmckee1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:29   #4

I prefer Bosheild. Any comments?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
A clock repairman I know says the same thing about WD-40. Keeps him in business when people use in on their grandfather clocks.

For electronics, try the old "TV Tuner" spray that Radio Shack sells. Works great on switches that don't work - especially car window switches. On stereo knobs too - I've saved many that had volume knobs not work.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:24   #6

I love WD40 for cleaning. The problem comes when you leave it on the surface. It attracts dust. Besides the cleaning tasks mentioned, it's a great winch grease solvent. The power spray really blasts the old grease out from between the gear teeth.

If you're going to leave it in place my favorite is Boeshield T9 if saltwater is around and Corrosion-X for general moisture protection (no wax). I carry all three plus Kroil penetrating oil for really frozen fasteners. Does anyone have another favorite?

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:16   #7

Send a message via AIM to Chesapeake
WD40 vs Boshield / Boeshield

DefJef :
Bosheild but found Boeshield T-9 instead.
Did you mean to say Boeshield ???
-- Have a g'day ;-)
Old 09-01-2009, 11:45   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If you're going to steal material from Snopes < snopes.com: Uses for WD-40 Spray Lubricant >; you should check their facts, and correct their spelling.
It's Convair not Corvair that developed the Atlas ICBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckee1952
... The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts...

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:09   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
WD-40

WD-40 is perhaps the most over rated product in history other than the Ginsu! It is always misunderstood too.

Please, if I hear one more time, "I can't get the bolt out and I've sprayed it with WD-40.." I'll crack!! WD-40 is not a penetrating oil!!!!!!! IMHO WD-40 is a waste of autoparts store shef space & preciuos boat space too. Don't use this product unless you are a woman trying to remove bubble gum.

There are far better products for what you want to do than a one size fits all snake oil or "kerosene in a can"..
Old 09-01-2009, 12:53   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WD40 states on their web page that WD40 does not contain kerosene, silicone, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (the propellant is CO2).

However, if one checks the MSDS sheets for various Countries (yes, they use slightly differing terms, but check the CAS citations), a controlled-flash-point kerosene and paraffinic oils seem to be recurring themes.

Over time, the paraffinic oil will react with atmospheric oxygen and polymerize, creating what is technically termed a "gummy mess."

If you want a solvent, use a straight solvent. If you want
lubrication, use a good oil (they do vary in resistance to oxidation).
If you need to clean and maintain electrical contacts, use a product made for that purpose.

WD40 MSDS (s):

CANADA: http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d447382569.pdf
Stoddard Solvent 8052-41-3 45-50%
Petroleum Base Oil 64742-65-0 30-35%
Non-Hazardous Ingredients Proprietary <10%

USA: http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d494716385.pdf
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8
64742-48-9
64742-88-7
45-50
Petroleum Base Oil 64742-65-0 15-25
LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 12-18
Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9 2-3
Non-Hazardous Ingredients Mixture <10
Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9 2-3%

AUSTRALIA: WD-40 Company - MSDS Sheets for WD-40, Spot Shot, 2000 Flushes, X-14, 3-IN-ONE, Carpet Fresh, Lava,
solvent naphtha petroleum, medium aliphatic 64742-88-7 >60
petroleum base oil as
paraffinic distillate, heavy, solvent-dewaxed (severe) 64742-65-0. 15-25
corrosion inhibitor unregulated 1-10
wetting agent unregulated 1-10
fragrance unregulated 0-1
carbon dioxide 124-38-9 2-3

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 13:40   #11

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Yes on Boe-Shield. Also yes on Corrosion-X. I rarely see any need for WD-40, with those two substances on hand as well as a suite of real lubricants and solvents.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-01-2009, 13:51   #12

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
WD-40 is perhaps the most over rated product in history other than the Ginsu! It is always misunderstood too.

Please, if I hear one more time, "I can't get the bolt out and I've sprayed it with WD-40.." I'll crack!! WD-40 is not a penetrating oil!!!!!!! IMHO WD-40 is a waste of autoparts store shef space & preciuos boat space too. Don't use this product unless you are a woman trying to remove bubble gum.

There are far better products for what you want to do than a one size fits all snake oil or "kerosene in a can"..

I agree. WD40 is a decent cleaning agent (for metals, not electronics) and should NEVER be used as a lubricant.........Having said that, a quick sray in the intake, works pretty good for starting that stubborn diesel sometimes.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 15:57   #13

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Fish Oil?

So I have to read the label ...hate that...made from fish oil? WD= 'water displacement, 40th formula'. Its mostly composed of hydrocarbons. [Wickipedia info] I had a good friend who actually messaged it into a sore knee and said it worked! Got rid of the pain. I immediately told her to stop, that its likely the petroleum could be picked up by her capillaries and cause serious problems.
So, kerosene has been alluded to, parafin...I like it for my hinges and firearms, though I'm cautious about using it when persuing game that can smell. I do appreciate the many other uses first mentioned. But please don't put it on humans.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 16:14   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
two things you DON'T want to do with WD-40

1. Apply to bicycle chain (it will gum it up. use Tri-Flow instead)
2. Apply to a burn. (use silver sulfadine instead)
Old 09-01-2009, 17:40   #15

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I personaly like WD40 to loosen up gummed up things and then after it has mostly evaporated I will apply a 3&1 oil or whatever viscosity oil I think will work best..

I am new to boeshield T-9 as a can came with my boat...I sprayed a new combination lock with the stuff and it turned it into a waxy mess in a week..so far Im not impressed with its lubrication ability but it might just be the cats meow for long term storage of metal parts if they dont have to function speadely..I collect firearms to some degree and am thinking it might just make a great long term storage protectant..but it would defintly need to be cut back off with hoppies #9 to get the smooth action back.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote