Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:49   #151
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
I am amazed at how much better I feel, how much energy I have had and how I have not felt at all deprived of food. The key is to find an eating plan that works for you and then to have it become a forever lifestyle change. carbs used to rule my life and destroyed my metabolism. I feel like a new person and will never allow myself to go there again.
Thank you - and welcome aboard!! It's great to hear from folks who have found things that work for them! I will Google and read it - although if it puts a strain on the kidney, it'll prob be something I look at, listen to, and gently adopt the bits that I like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The good news lately is that I have been on a 3 week business trip and have actually lost 2 kilos in the face of lots of eating out and American restaurant portions and ingredients.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrr.....................

oops, I think I mean - well done!! Mean feat whilst in the land of super-size. I was just reading today about how portions have increased in size by 30% on average - and up to 50% in some cases (I think fast food joints etc) - so it must be quite hard to be sensible there. Especially since it's the land of toffee coated popcorn, I believe.....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 13:22   #152

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
BUT - I carefully tracked my nutrtion, and it was never the popcorn that took me over the limits - it was things like sushi and (in yesterday's case) pizza...

19 bags of toffee covered popcorn in 3 weeks, but it was the sushi

DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 14:06   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by graj0 View Post
All calories are not created equal.
No - european ones are metric and measured in kiloJoules

mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:42   #154
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post

19 bags of toffee covered popcorn in 3 weeks, but it was the sushi
I know - so hard to believe isn't it??

But true!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:53   #155

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource
Thumbs up

Congratulations on your blood pressure Kate! Even more than what the tape measure/your clothes say, this is terrific! With results like that, you know you are well on your way now...

ps.- Try to stick to types of sushi that have more fish and less rice, etc, in it. More bang for your buck and less in the way of extra carbs...
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:39   #156

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Yes, congratulations on getting the blood pressure down. It will likely come down even more with the changes you are making.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:43   #157

Boat: Snapdragon 27 - La Barre
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
No - european ones are metric and measured in kiloJoules

But 1 calorie will always equal 4.2 kj.
graj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:51   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by graj0 View Post
But 1 calorie will always equal 4.2 kj.
Exactly! Now you tell me what appeals to you. You fancy a bit naughty like....say.... toffee covered popcorn (a purely hypothetical example) and it says on the side of the non-EU packet 100 calories and on the EU packet 420 KJ.

Which one do you eat? Remember that people are rarely logical
Old 09-08-2010, 20:27   #159
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
210.8 today. No toffee popcorn but a little bowl of ice cream to celebrate....This week I should get down to uncharted territory.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:54   #160
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I can't believe it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
210.8 today. No toffee popcorn but a little bowl of ice cream to celebrate....This week I should get down to uncharted territory.
YEAH!!!! Now we're on a roll!!! (I wish I could change those words to just "Happy..." and fill in the blanks ourselves!!!

Devastating news.... In my newfound healthy lifestyle I decided to start tracking my cholesterol intake as well, and some days it was like double what I should be eating. On further investigation - it turns out to be the grilled shrimps. Yep. Healthy, low cal, low protein - I've been pigging out on 'em this week, to celebrate the start of shrimp season, and it turns out they're bad for you.....
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23   #161

Boat: Traditional 30
I lost 70 kilos of fat and dead weight in less than twelve months. But gee, divorces are expensive.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:41   #162

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40
all the fear of cholesterol is really very misplaced. Cholesteraol is necessary for cell repair and a precursor to all of our necessary hormones. read more detailed info at Mercola.com search cholesterol there.
the real problem we have is with the inflammation in our arteries and veins that is caused by diets too high in carbs and sugars. that is what actually pits the plaque in the arteries that cause heart disease.
Even high fat diets like Atkins will lower cholesterol, despite all the eggs, meat and shrimp you can eat on these.
I find I do best cutting out processed food, sugar, unhealthy fats and consuming plenty of protein, vegetables and a limited number of dairy and fruit.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
......and it turns out they're bad for you.....
Everything is bad for you. Everybody dies of something eventually.

If you want to understand the scale of what you are up against, remember that oxygen is carcinogenic, but try NOT breathing and see what that does for you.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:08   #164

A guaranteed weight loss from a newb boater

I have always dreamed of sailing around the world. At my age now .. I would settle for a sail to anywhere. (I'm 45 and have continued to live in PA much to my dissatisfaction - career necessities).

Anyway, regarding the weight loss, on this I am well versed.

If you eat at least 500-700 cals a day of lean protein
No more than 700 cals of carbs per day: preferably complex such as brown rice.
and only 150 to 200 cals in fats (omega 3's or olive oil primarily)
Drink at least a half gallon of water a day (preferably twice that)

You will drop lbs faster than you ever believed possible, and you will teach yourself how to eat healthier. You can adjust your loss by adding or subtracting carbs and/or by increasing excercise (don't go below 300 cals of carbs).

I should add that this is the best diet for a man and was given to me by an MD who specialized in nutrition and weight loss. I have found that the weight drops off you very fast... up to 5 lbs a week if you max it out (I don't recommend that pace for any length of time over 6-9 months).

I would also add that at some point you need to find where you are comfortable so that you can develop good eating habits. Diets suck and I look at this as an endeavor to adjust eating habits.

In the end you need to stay away from empty carbs and keep your proteins lean. You will reach this formula naturally if you eat only whole grain and fruit carbs and lean meats. It is a way of life .. eating naturally ... not a diet.

Best of luck!

Brian
fanfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:35   #165

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
I just went on a diet. The best diets are an actual lifestyle change, not just eat less for a few weeks. The diet I chose was the brown rice diet, because I saw an obese co-worker drop half his weight in less than a year. He dropped it soo fast we were worried he had a disease, and formed a group to go to his cubical to ask about it. After talking with him I tried it myself. It is a simple diet. Eat controlled portions of whole grains 3 meals a day, limit dairy, meat no more than 2 oz once a day. 2 servings of fruit and 1 serving of vegtables per meal. snack on fruit or vegy only. No salt, no sugar. 30-60minutes of excercise EVERY day. Vigorous walking or swimming, etc.. I've been on it for 2 months and lost 20lbs per month. cholesteral dropped 35 points. I was high and my Doctor suggested drugs before the diet, now I am normal. Whole grains and fruit are what our digestive systems were made for. Give it a try.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote