Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 10:59   #91

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
LOL!!! This is great - I hope everyone's enthusiamsm and support continues... and doesn't wane like my enthusiam for exercise will!
------
- Last month, when I went to collect my stepdaughter from the airport, there was toffee coated popcorn in. I bought 20 bags because you hardly ever see toffee coated popcorn in Kuwait! I managed to wolf them down in 18 days. So... When I collected my step son from the airport four days ago, I bought another twenty, and decided to use them as a treat when I achieve goals. If I achieve the goals I will get one a fortnight. I feel that is a good thing.

I have been at this for a week now - and was stuck on 82.9kg..... It wouldn't go away!! This morning the scales said 82.4kg. Who knows, they might be back up tomorrow morning, but at least I know they're not broken!!! And at this rate, another week and I'll get another bag of popcorn.

Reward is good!! Treats are good!! I will not binge!!
You have received quite a lot of good advice, especially regarding change of lifestyle vs. dieting. I hear you saying that you are a compulsive eater.

Quote:
There are complexities with the biology of compulsive eating that separate it from a pure substance abuse analogy. Food is a complex mixture of chemicals that can affect the body in multiple ways, which is magnified by stomach-brain communication. In some ways, it may be much more difficult for compulsive overeaters to recover than drug addicts. There is an anecdotal saying among Overeaters Anonymous members that "when you are addicted to drugs you put the tiger in the cage to recover; when you are addicted to food you put the tiger in the cage, but take it out three times a day for a walk."
Compulsive overeating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To change your life's eating habits you have to really want it. You have to find a way to keep that desire on top of compulsive urges which your mind has a thousand rationalizations for, like rewards of carmel popcorn. You must find substitutes for all the problem/fake/comfort foods you use. The only real reward is a new healthy you. Best of luck. I can see a lithe you under all the camouflage. See her?
Old 20-07-2010, 11:29   #92
Armchair Bucketeer

For every day I was off the Crack I allowed myself a hit of Smack Eventually of course the source of my problems was tackled - stress. I got fired But I never liked that Air Traffic Controllers job much anyway

Long term you gotta find a way to no longer see these "treats" as treats. so you don't eat them because you don't actually want them, not from willpower / being good.

How? Dunno But you could realise that plastic food is designed by Food Companies in league with "the Govt" and [insert favourite conspiracy] to be full of chemicals and secret stuff to not only make money for the ruling classes but to keep the peasantry fat and stupid. The proof? Look around!!...........or read my new book: "How to lose weight by escaping the clutches of the Global Satanist Green Lizard controlled Chemical Food industry Conspiracy - Volume XVII" . Remember, you heard it here first
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 13:27   #93

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
If you can lay your hands on ,try and read "Life without bread" by Dr Wolfgang Lutz,Austrian internist and cardiologist. He explains in quite good detail what he has recommendd his heart patients to do . He himself follows his diet still at age 93. And no it does not mean literally without bread but reassessing portions of what should be on the plate . And yes of course a doctor's visit would be recommendable before trying such a drastic change.
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 10:43   #94

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource
Aaza Dana,

I have found success with not only (surprise surprise) exercise, but also cutting waaayyy back on the 'refined carbs'. I try not to eat anything that has white flour in it, and started eating way more vegetables and fruits. Substituting legumes in half of the dishes you would ordinarily have meat in is also helpful if you're up for it, or even replacing half the meat in a particular dish with legumes, so it's not completely without. Indian and Middle Eastern types of foods lend themselves to this enormously, with many dishes being meatless by default. Lots of spices in your food, if you're up for it - if it tastes good you won't notice a lack of sugar/salt/grease/what have you.

And, of course, the thing we try to remember at all times when grocery shopping for our house: If you buy it, you will eat it! (the reasoning being that, conversely, if you do not buy it, it will not end up on your *ss! lol)
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 13:57   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosinglesource View Post
... I try not to eat anything that has white flour in it, and started eating way more vegetables and fruits.
I have had some unexpected successes. The fruit bowl gets emptied very quickly as the kids tell me that "fruit is always allowed" (something I used to chant at them when they were small and wanted sweets). Next "problem" is that they will rarely touch white bread anymore. They only eat wholemeal or wholegrain bread.

Their friends think that they are crazy....
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 15:06   #96

Boat: Sundance 23
Well, I'll be monitoring this thread carefully. I wish you the best of luck.

I, too, am a Fat Bastard, needing to lose 40 lbs at least. I feel my knees stressing, and I'm 6'3" at 265#.

I have a club membership and need to ride the bike, lots. I'm ready to change the diet, but I can't see myself giving up rice. I don't eat much bread. I love spicy foods, so I'll be switching to a more Med-type diet.

You'll help motivate me. I definately need a life-style change. Not eating or drinking after 7p seems an impossibility, as I get home at 6p. I don't see myself ever completely giving up Beer, because I brew the stuff, too. Getting it down to one a day doesn't seem impossible.

Lots of work to do. I want to feel better and be more nimble when on the boat.
Old 21-07-2010, 22:41   #97
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Even Fatter Now!!!

Fiddlesticks. Up to 84.2 now. That just can't be all muscle!

Yesterday's Food:

Bfast: small bowl of healthy bran stuff with low fat milk ().
Lunch: cucumber, salmon & avocado salad (); california roll (), spicy tuna roll (), four large shrimps in batter (); one scoop ice-cream ()
Dinner: cucumber, salmon & avocado salad ()
Supper: four pineapple slices

OK, so because we went for Sushi at lunch time, I didn't pig out on fruit all day like I usually am; but I think to have gone UP two kilos is a little too much. That can't all be muscle! It looks like I'm gonna have to give up the sushi and revert back to the popcorn after all!!

I have been running half hour every day, and doing yoga sometimes too; and am enjoying the lifestyle changes. Oh well, fruit fast for me today!

Anyway, morning all, have a nice day!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 02:37   #98

Quote:
Fiddlesticks. Up to 84.2 now. That just can't be all muscle!
Let's start with some basics - are you weighing yourself at the same time each day, on the same scales and putting the scales on the same piece of floor each time? Are you wearing the same clothes each time?

Give it a while. Your weight will go up and down but as long as it trends downward - that is the key.
Old 22-07-2010, 03:30   #99
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Let's start with some basics - are you weighing yourself at the same time each day
Yes - right after I do my morning pee, and before I drink my morning tea.
Quote:
on the same scales
Yes
Quote:
and putting the scales on the same piece of floor each time?
Yes
Quote:
Are you wearing the same clothes each time?
Yes - about 10kg (maybe 20kg) of blubber and nothing else!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 03:58   #100

Quote:
Yes - about 10kg (maybe 20kg) of blubber and nothing else!
Too much information!!!!

I guess it is a case of giving it more time. You will get "ups" as well as "downs". Women can retain fluid every so often (and I don't want to start on m***cups again!). Give it a few days - if it went on really quick it might come off really quick as well.
Old 22-07-2010, 10:21   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
AD- down my first kilo (214). Just hang in there. Try no refined foods (rice, ice cream) but you know that
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 10:33   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Kate, if I could make one suggestion. Add more calories to your breakfast. Add some oatmeal and mix some fruit or berries in, like muesli. I mean the real muesli, not the stuff in the box. I mix up granola, multigrain bran, blueberrys, yogurt and soy beverage and that will carry me through to mid afternoon. Then a sandwich or sandwich and side salad will keep me going until dinner. Use your imagination and find something you like. Anyway, take it for what its worth.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 12:18   #103

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Kate,

Don't know if the location listed under your avatar (Kuwait) is accurate but if it is, your weight fluctuations MAY be related to mild dehydration. I remember reading somewhere that a person can lose up to 5% of body weight in fluids before becoming thirsty. My suggestion earlier in post #66 to drink two glasses of water 20 minutes before eating may help this problem as well by keeping you well hydrated for your "weigh ins".

One trick I used many years ago was to plot my daily weights on graph paper. Daily variations are easily smoothed out by eyeball and any long term trend will become obvious after about 10 days.

BTW, you don't really need 17kg of butter (post #79) to visualize the problem. Just go to a local butcher shop and have them show you 5 kg of fat trimmed from a pig. You will get the message!
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 12:39   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
...Don't know if the location listed under your avatar (Kuwait) is accurate but ....Just go to a local butcher shop and have them show you 5 kg of fat trimmed from a pig.
Ummmm... I suspect that Kuwaiti butchers will not have many pigs on display. think about what part of the world it is in.
Old 22-07-2010, 13:19   #105
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Fatty Goodlander

Last time I checked, Cap'n Fatty Goodlander was skinny but you won't find a better read than his books. (Check by author on Amazon). He is so screamingly funny that my friend reads him while enduring five-hour chemo infusions. Janet Groene, Janet Groene's BoatCook
JanetGroene is offline   Reply With Quote