Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 21:45   #181
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Way to go Kate!! I am currently sailing- so internet is iffy. But CONGRATS!!!!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 05:34   #182
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hm. Weigh in day. Interest has slowed and so has my weight loss, sadly. The scales show absolutely no change, despite my strict fasting regime of rice and popcorn....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:22   #183
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK. Scales are broken. Must be. They haven't budged in ages! I quit!! Dieting sucks. Healthy eating is great - and who cares how big my hips are? (Except my husband, who maintains that losing weight simply shrinks tits).
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:52   #184

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Hi there. I hope you don't mind if I stick my head in here. I lost quite a bit of weight (about 45lbs) 7 years ago by going low carb. I kept it off with no issues until last year, when I became pregnant. Pregnancy and a low carb diet are not compatible. Now I am breastfeeding- again not compatible with low carb.

I need to drop 15 pounds so here I am. I gained 55 during my pregnancy and now have the last 15 that does not want to move.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:04   #185

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Hi Mimsy, good luck with your weight loss. Most of the people that kept this thread going have given up I guess.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:08   #186

That is unfortunate. I need someone to kick my a bit too beamy butt.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:12   #187

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hopefully you will adopt a healthy lifestyle with plenty of exercise and good food. As Aaza Dana says, dieting sucks.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:44   #188

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Hm. Weigh in day. Interest has slowed and so has my weight loss, sadly. The scales show absolutely no change, despite my strict fasting regime of rice and popcorn....
It is ingrained human nature to want a "full stomach" after each meal. The trick I used to lose weight without the stress of feeling hungry all the time was to eat Non-nutritious foods. That is foods high in fiber and extremely low in fat and only an average amount of carbs. The idea is to have a full stomach without much of anything containing calories in it. You have to research foods to find the old fashioned types of foods. Likewise stay away from anything made in factories or processed by factories. Processed foods have the fiber and non-nutritious parts removed so are extra-ordinarily high in calories per gram of foodstuff. This is a long term process of weight reduction so that you will not trigger the "famine fat storage" syndrome in humans.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:06   #189

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mimsy;
Sorry for the multiple posts, but in the park where I walk I often see a group of young mothers pushing their babies in walkers/strollers (whatever they are called these days). There are about a dozen of them, and I can say that whatever they are doing is working. They don't all walk the same speed but do get together during the walk for stretches and exercises.

Point of the post is to suggest that maybe there is a group near you that you could join.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:10   #190

Thanks DeepFrz, I've considered that as there is a group near us but my life is scattered between weekdays in the suburbs, weekends on the bay and boat just now so finding a group isn't the problem, its having the time in one place to actually benefit.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:20   #191
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I haven't given up guys, but my life has been so frantic lately, and last I checked I was up 2 lbs- uggh! Couldn't be that those oreos and oatmeal raisin cookies had anything to do with it! But I will be back on track here in two more weeks, after my son's wedding....
BTW- have a new grandson (first stressor)
My last one went to college (2nd stressor)
and then the wedding...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:28   #192

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well newt, you are doing well at 2 lbs. then. Congrats on all three major events in your life...

By the way, my weight fluctuates more than that at the best of times.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:53   #193

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Hey Newt, you'll get back on the plan. Life can be crazy.

Mimsy, I need that same 'beamy butt kicker' ;0)

I haven't really started 'a diet' but am doing my biannual 'cleanse' which is an herbal cleanse and I am not supposed to eat sugar, wheat, alcohol, caffeine, mushrooms, soy sauce, vinegar, condiments...you get the picture...

I haven't lost any weight but bloatiness is down...

I need to start exercising again...gotta do it...I think I will try to start rowing again tomorrow...

My metabolism has changed so much in the last five years...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:39   #194

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Fat Bastards Unite!

I am a fat bastard.. I love to cook and the only time I lose weight is when I am totally pre-occupied with a project of one sort or another.

Since I buy most of the food around here I am now buying only things that are good for me. Over time I am forced to eat out when on the road and that means too much salt. I have decided I love my mountain bike so the next thing is to ride to the dock to do deck bungs. (Thats like doing squat thrusts all day)

I love it when I lose a few pounds and don't even notice it. If I could find a project that would pre occupy me during the dinner hour I could lose weight and have something to show for it.

All that being said, a life that is too busy to have a beer sounds like some kind of boot camp. Oh well, one thing at a time.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:55   #195

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Some food for thought

I reached my goal weight on Saturday after 2 years of trying!

It's funny you know, after lurking on CF for a long term I recognised that there was information here that was not available around the yacht club bar. The difference being that on this site you can hear from people who have actually done what I want to do (a world cruise). Around the yacht club bar, you only hear an opinion form someone who hasn't done it. There is a vast difference between the quality of information available.

Then along comes this thread, something I do know a little about becasue I 've had a steady plan over about 2 years to get fit and, being lazy, I've done it with minimal effort. Not only that, I have created habits so that I am now not tempted by junk food at all. I am 53 years old and someone told my wife the other day they thought I was about 45. I'm not bragging, I'm trying to help you. I contributed to this thread up until about the middle of June, my last post being #57. I stopped posting because everyone preffered to listen to the "yacht club bar" people who had all the solutions (and excuses), but were still fat. Rebel Heart posted some photos of how he now looks early on on this thread after biting the bullet and doing what it took to get fit. I have done it differently but surely our opinions are worth listening to in prefernce to the "yacht club bar".

Again, here's mine. You have to start thinking like a fit person. All I have done is say, what would a fit person be eating and eat like that fit person.
I combine that with about 10 minutes a day of floor exercises. When weight was not dropping I concluded that a really a fit person must be eating less than I was.

My daily food intake now cosists of:
1 bowl of oats or a couple slices of toast for breakfast
Normally a meat pie for lunch (an Aussie tradition, but not really healthy)
A medium sized bowl of cooked vegetables at night, sometimes with meat.
About 50% of the time I have a glass of wine with the evening meal and about once a week I will go out with friends to a restaurant and eat a 3 couse meal with them. If someone at work brings in cake to celebrate a birthday or whatever, I celebrate with them, so I can still enjoy what is normal life. I have just retrained my brain to think like a fit person. I've worked out that I can't think like a typical Aussie or American because we are the two fattest nations on earth.

You know saling around the world seems a bit too daunting for most of my firends. It's because they look at the enormity of the whole project. I have concluded that it will take me at least a couple of years but is really just combining days sails, day after day while heading in the same direction. Getting fit is not much different, so trim your sails and stay on course!

Greg