Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2015, 10:46   #16

Re: Voyage of the Mayflower, 1620 -- Routing?

It seems they were trying to take the rhumb line to Virginia but were set north by the Gulf Stream. They were so far off course that they stopped to re-provision in Newfoundland.

A little known story is thay in the spring of 1622 after the first terrible winter, the Pilgrims sailed their 38ft open single masted shallop for the 200 mile trip to Damariscove Island off Boothbay harbor Maine. There was a well established trading post on the island that serviced a year round fishing fleet that could see 40 boats at anchor in the summer. The island's gift of cod helped them survive until the harvest for the first Thanksgiving.

If you ever cruise Maine, be sure to stop at Damariscove Island which is uninhabited today except for a conservation caretaker and a family that has restored the old lifeboat station. it's not hard to imagine the Pilgrim's arrival in 1622.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 1.24.12 PM.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	113984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 1.41.40 PM.png
Views:	130
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	113985  

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 11:12   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Great thread.

I have not read any sources so my only guess is maybe they sailed the N route, above the Westerlies. That's how cruising boats go to Island and Groenland today. Level: easy (and cold).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 11:16   #18
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

They took 2 months to get there.

Also, other things more important were happening then:

May 17 – The first merry-go-round is seen at a fair (Philippapolis, Turkey).
June 3 – The oldest stone church in French North America, Notre-Dame-des-Anges, is begun at Quebec City, Canada.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 11:37   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

But the question is did they really go N of the Azores High, against the prevailing winds, as depicted in various maps?
The winds are against only above the Azores further out N they are variable with a good share of E'lies.

As any Low approaches you, it is easier for a boat to sail over the top of it: sailing N for atime then W and then S as the system passes below you.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 11:31   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I've done some more reading on this, and it seems they really went North. Barney seems to be right.

It makes me wonder how cool would it be to follow in their footsteps -- cross the Atlantic that way, the Northern route, from Southampton to Cape Cod, with a stop in Newfoundland. Maybe worth a rally?

The time of year they did it seems suicidal, however. Landfall on 9 November! In the middle of hurricane season, and with no weather information whatsoever. Wow! They had some cojones.

I think I would rather do it in a more benign season, maybe in May before hurricane season starts.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 11:33   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
It seems they were trying to take the rhumb line to Virginia but were set north by the Gulf Stream. They were so far off course that they stopped to re-provision in Newfoundland.

A little known story is thay in the spring of 1622 after the first terrible winter, the Pilgrims sailed their 38ft open single masted shallop for the 200 mile trip to Damariscove Island off Boothbay harbor Maine. There was a well established trading post on the island that serviced a year round fishing fleet that could see 40 boats at anchor in the summer. The island's gift of cod helped them survive until the harvest for the first Thanksgiving.

If you ever cruise Maine, be sure to stop at Damariscove Island which is uninhabited today except for a conservation caretaker and a family that has restored the old lifeboat station. it's not hard to imagine the Pilgrim's arrival in 1622.
Thanks; extremely interesting!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote