Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 00:01   #16

Boat: too many
Re: Video - Can You Fly ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
That stuff is completely insane! How do they stay airborne, you'd think the sheer size and weight of their balls would cause them to drop like lead....
I don't know about their balls but mine would be tucked up inside out of fear.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 00:04   #17

My keyboard is going to get dusty, because the last two responses I did with a new voice recognition software. This is just real trippy I'm getting to enjoy it. Does anybody know what speed those guys fly at?
Old 01-12-2011, 00:55   #18

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Military sent me. 4 months, I'm heading back to the US.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:44   #19

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
sorry, Try searching youtube for Transformers flying suits or skydiving and you should be able to find something.

I'll be glad when I'm out of Germany. Lots of stuff is blocked for me.
move to Holland Dan,no blockades here!vrijheid blijheid!
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:05   #20

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
My keyboard is going to get dusty, because the last two responses I did with a new voice recognition software. This is just real trippy I'm getting to enjoy it. Does anybody know what speed those guys fly at?
They're moving about 160mph. 3 feet of horizontal movement for every foot of vertical drop.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:32   #21

Boat: hunter 376

Yes the stuff is real. I flew a pre-curser to the modern wingsuit in the late 70s called a "windjammer" but nothing like the wingsuits of today. They are getting phenomenal glide ratios. I also did a base jump in 1980, when it was in its infancy, but it was years after I left the sport of skydiving before wingsuit and base jumping were combined. Following terrain at extremely low altitudes is known as "proximity flying" and, for obvious reasons, is both dangerous, and strictly for the most advanced wingsuit pilot. During close proximity flight, the parachute has no room for deployment, so the pilot relies on the wingsuit alone, until reaching a clear area with more altitude for deployment. There is a site online listing all base fatalities, and compared with the number of participants, it is a very long list, which gets added to on a very regular basis. Not for the faint of heart, but then, neither is water sailing">blue water sailing.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00   #22

if I was younger and the wing suit gave the glide ratio that allowed flying at 60 miles an hour I might've tried it in my day. But the days of me flying hang gliders are about 20 years in my past.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
Yes the stuff is real. I flew a pre-curser to the modern wingsuit in the late 70s called a "windjammer" but nothing like the wingsuits of today. They are getting phenomenal glide ratios. I also did a base jump in 1980, when it was in its infancy, but it was years after I left the sport of skydiving before wingsuit and base jumping were combined. Following terrain at extremely low altitudes is known as "proximity flying" and, for obvious reasons, is both dangerous, and strictly for the most advanced wingsuit pilot. During close proximity flight, the parachute has no room for deployment, so the pilot relies on the wingsuit alone, until reaching a clear area with more altitude for deployment. There is a site online listing all base fatalities, and compared with the number of participants, it is a very long list, which gets added to on a very regular basis. Not for the faint of heart, but then, neither is blue water sailing.
Phenomenal glide ratios..try 2:1...my Reflex wing has a true 5:1 but they say it is 6.5,and that is BS..Its not as daring as it seems if you find a mountian with a 5 to 1 glide and are wearing a suit with a 2:1 that leaves 3 feet of ground clearance all the way down..only problem would be pilot error and the 6ft tall fool that just has to see what is going on ...terminal valocity is not 160 mph is it ?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 18:29   #24

Boat: hunter 376

2 and 3 to one is actually phenomenal... for a suit, but not for a hang glider or parasail.
These guys are flying SUITS at well over 120 mph within feet of trees and rocks with a razor thin margin for error. Most of these flights begin with a freefall base jump, itself a dangerous feat, and again with a small margin for error. It does require years of skydiving and special training to do with a reasonable expectation of safety, but even still there is significant risk. It is most definitely as daring as it looks. Terminal velocity is normally 120 mph in a flat body position, but will increase to well over 180 mph in a flat out high speed dive. The sensation of speed is breathtaking. Doing it through a huge cloud on an otherwise sunny day is so surreal, an accurate description is futile.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 18:35   #25

Sounds like you speak from experience. I think the fastest I've ever gone was probably mid to high 40 mile an hour range in my hang glider. The noise my sail was making at that speed, because it wasn't one of those high performance double-sided wings, convinced me I sure didn't want to go any faster.
Old 14-10-2013, 08:25   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I still dont know how to post a link so I will just ask ,has anyone seen the guy jump from a mountain and land in the lake witout a parachute,so cool ,reminds me of the only dream that I have had over and over thru the years..If someone could post a link I would be grateful..thanks
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote