Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 08:39   #1
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Using the Ignore and Thanks Buttons - Curious

How many of you actually use the Ignore button?
How many you use the Thanks button rather than posting a "Thanks" as part of the thread?

Just curious to see how others operate here!

I guess if nobody responds to this thread, then you all have me "Ignored"

Edit: Err... what happened to the ignore button - it's disappeared - or I have lost it !!!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41   #2

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Re: Using the Ignore and Thanks Buttons - Curious

Ignore- never.
Thanks- slightly more than never, 3 or 4 times for really outstanding posts. Maybe I should use it a little more.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:45   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

There's an ignore button?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
There's an ignore button?
Used to be, never realized it was missing until tonight - guess I (we?) didn't use it enough.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 07-04-2012, 08:55   #5

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednotzee View Post
Ignore- never.
Thanks- slightly more than never, 3 or 4 times for really outstanding posts. Maybe I should use it a little more.
Same here.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:56   #6

The only ignore buttons i know off are in "Thread Tools" and selecting "Ignore This Thread", or by clicking on the user name and selecting "Add Wotname to Your Ignore List"........
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:00   #7

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

I've had a couple of instances where someone put a question into the comments field with the "Thanks" button. I rarely go to the page that shows those comments so tend to be answering way late. Is that a common practice for others? Seems like the PM works better for those questions since we get notified about the message.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:11   #8

I enjoy thanking people that post quality content. I've gotten a few thanks as well and it was nice to know that people appreciated something I took the time to write.

Its an easy way to pat someone on the back without seeming creepy by emailing/pm'ing them directly when you don't "know" them.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:16   #9

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I like both. I've used and received thanks many times. I have ignored 2 people, they're both very negative and usually mean and I don't come here to fight or watch a fight. This place is about helping and receiving help, community, and entertainment.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
I've had a couple of instances where someone put a question into the comments field with the "Thanks" button. I rarely go to the page that shows those comments so tend to be answering way late. Is that a common practice for others? Seems like the PM works better for those questions since we get notified about the message.
Good point. I must confess that I only chanced upon the User CP page which shows the "Thanks Received" messages a year or so back and was surprised to find some Thanks Messages. Felt bad that people had taken the time to thank me and I wasn't aware. Perhaps it would be good to have an alert similar to the PM alert.

Of course I go there first these days - 'cause I am shallow and need yer approval . but oh the disappointment of an empty page
Old 07-04-2012, 09:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
.........Its an easy way to pat someone on the back without seeming creepy by emailing/pm'ing them directly when you don't "know" them.
Fair point
Old 07-04-2012, 11:24   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The "Ignore" feature for an individual member is the last item in the pull-down menu that appears when you click on the member's Username in a post that he's made. Click it to put a member on your "Ignore List". You can edit your "Ignore List" in the "Settings & Options" section of your User CP (Control Panel). There are more "ignore" options in the "Ignore Manager" at the bottom of the list on the left hand side of your User CP page.

You can select the option of receiving a PM notification whenever you get a "Thanks" from another member. Look for "Messaging and Notification" in "Edit Options" in the "Settings and Options" section of the User CP.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:43   #13

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
You can select the option of receiving a PM notification whenever you get a "Thanks" from another member. Look for "Messaging and Notification" in "Edit Options" in the "Settings and Options" section of the User CP.
Thanks, Hud. I was going to click the "Thanks" button, but it seems to have disappeared.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:57   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

I use the Thanks button and normally enter a why in the comments. I also for years didn't even know I could see who had thanked me and didn't see the first 30 or so.

I've only put a couple of people on my ignore list over the years. But I have found that all of those people stopped posting over time. They were new hateful types and after a while they probably got enough push back that they left and went somewhere else to be an a-hole at.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:25   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
How many of you actually use the Ignore button?
How many you use the Thanks button rather than posting a "Thanks" as part of the thread?

Just curious to see how others operate here!

I guess if nobody responds to this thread, then you all have me "Ignored"

Edit: Err... what happened to the ignore button - it's disappeared - or I have lost it !!!
I have quoted your post in full as I think that means that people who have you on "ignore" can read it .

FWIW I never have anyone on ignore (just makes their posts seem more interesting ) - there are however folk whose posts I skim through, if that . BTW you can't put any Moderators on Ignore.........

But I do use Ignore for entire Sub Forums! The Open CPN one springs to mind, sometimes the Multihole sub forum and possible a couple of others (can't be bothered to check).....given that I access the posts via the "New Posts" button it really does change (and for me = improve) the CF experiance. Others (who get easily offended by folks being freindly to each other ) may wish to ignore the offtopic sub forum. In addition I sometimes ignore an entire thread - which works well for me, as out of sight does = out of mind .

Thanks I usually use for Funnys - and occassional for those providing good info, especially those newer to CF.....just to let them know that their presence is noticed and appreciated - by at least one person!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote