Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-06-2016, 01:27   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: UK, EU and repercussions on cruising

I am not a lover of cashless.

This means if the banks have a problem your card is useless.

If they decide to put your account on hold.... you have no money.

If a business card reader is down, you cannot pay for the service you have just had.

Prices go up.

If the tax office want to check your account.. you have no say.

ostensibly a good idea, but just another form of control and extracting more charges on currency.

weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 03:04   #32

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

If a business card reader is down, you cannot pay for the service you have just had.

Prices go up.

If the tax office want to check your account.. you have no say.

ostensibly a good idea, but just another form of control and extracting more charges on currency.
Merchants have a cost associated with cash, cash tills, safes, security, cash transport and cash handling fees at the bank, so going cashless doesn't mean higher costs.

Working in IT on a credit card system for a major bank has taught me that having one card at one bank is plain crazy. I like cards from other banks than where I worked because I find ignorance can be bliss, but tend to cary cards for 3 or 4 different countries to be safe..... and cash as well. I don't care about the taxman, I don't want to go on a pub crawl using a card and seeing the card statement at a later date, too scary for me.

I do have English cards, but thankfully I had cleared out that account and put the cards into hibernation (incase I ever go to the UK for work or whatever is left of it as the banks are a pain to open accounts with), so no currency loss on £ for me

Old 28-06-2016, 07:56   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

If they decide to impose negative interest rates, you have no escape.

People are hiding cash in their microwaves as Sweden gets closer to being the first cashless society with negative interest rates
Old 28-06-2016, 10:57   #34
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am wondering how much of this rumor mongering causing fiscal panic and stock uncertainty has been a wilful manipulation?

Introducing a second referendum only extends the shopping spree on UK assets.

This old song comes to mind

Should I Stay or Should I Go https://g.co/kgs/IG8QIn
Old 28-06-2016, 12:30   #35

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I am wondering how much of this rumor mongering causing fiscal panic and stock uncertainty has been a wilful manipulation?

Introducing a second referendum only extends the shopping spree on UK assets.

This old song comes to mind

Should I Stay or Should I Go https://g.co/kgs/IG8QIn

The FTS100 is already back where it was 10 days ago. The panic is almost over...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-06-2016, 21:53   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
You've got that entirely backwards. It's the Italians that use Dutch (and German, Belgian) ports to get stuff from China.
Are you sure? Make me wonder why the Italians would use North Sea ports to get stuff from China and ad a quoted 6 more days to the trip.

Quote:
The biggest railfreight corridor in Europe runs from the North Sea ports to Northern Italy.
As you point out so well, runs from the North Sea ports to Northern Italy. It is to be stated than that corridor is not finished in the North due to some opposition to it and not finished in the South due to the Italians not so keen to switch from road to rail.

Quote:
Quite a significant portion of that passes through Switzerland,
How significant? Switzerland is not that wide.

Quote:
Systems allowing cross border transport without having to deal with customs at each crossing exist, and have existed for a long time.
Not so sure about that, I have seen a lot of trucks waiting at the Swiss border posts.

Quote:
How do you think things worked before the EU?
Depend of the period, 1939 to 1945 to prevent the risk of invasion trains traveled relatively freely accross Switzerland and with not much custom checks. Then things returned to normal. With the comming of the EU, Switzerland was back to the 1939 era having to negotiate with some bullies that did not care to much about other people environement. Thanks to a ski instructeur from Kandersteg tunnels where build and damage to the environement was minimised.
Old 29-06-2016, 22:09   #37

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Gold is always an attractive option in a crisis.
Old 01-07-2016, 00:06   #38

Boat: Island Packet 40

The Brits have got form on the going it alone business and in the past the harder you pushed the stiffer their upper lips got.

I suspect that when everyone gets through with projecting the pacifier (spitting the dummy) they will all settle down and make it work. The UK and Europe are so entangled in their commerce and trade matters that it will prove politically difficult to close Britain out completely.

However, since much of the dissatisfaction centred around unrestricted immigration clearing in and out might become a bit more intrusive.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:33   #39

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Are you sure? Make me wonder why the Italians would use North Sea ports to get stuff from China and ad a quoted 6 more days to the trip.
There is a lot in logistics that seems odd at first. But once you understand that reliability and price are more important than speed in such long logistic chains it makes sense. That said, I've underestimated the growth of Italian ports. But Genoa is still only a small player. The four main North Sea ports for example handle together about 4 times the number of containers as all other ports in Europe together. And you'd be surprised how much freight in Europe goes by sea, even within Europe. The port of Rotterdam has to be seen to be believed. It is so mindbogglingly huge...

Quote:
How significant? Switzerland is not that wide.
The bulk of rail freight between Germany and Italy does pass through Switzerland though. They even built a new tunnel for it (the longest in the world...).
In spite of Switzerland not being part of the EU more trans Alpine railfreight goes through Switzerland than through Austria...
Old 01-07-2016, 01:36   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I suspect that when everyone gets through with projecting the pacifier (spitting the dummy) they will all settle down and make it work.
Indeed. Hollande (who is history anyway) may cry "we'll punish you", Merkel (who really runs the EU) is already on the record saying, "calm down, and lets deal with this as adults, please".
Old 01-07-2016, 06:49   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Gold is always an attractive option in a crisis.
That's a great option if you get in before the crisis and get out at the peak of the crisis.

Too bad that's easier said than done and if you get it wrong, you buy at the peak and wind up selling after things settle down.

It is interesting that a lot of the EU leaders have suddenly taken a much more conciliatory tone. Doom & Gloom predictions made sense before the elections in an effort to sway the vote. Now that it's done, trying to make those predictions come true would be idiotic for all sides.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:50   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

There will also be a social backlash. Maybe in England they think it is OK to show someone a finger and then pretend everything is OK and we can still friends.

If I were to judge from the reaction of my local (Spanish mostly) friends, this is not the case. A common reaction is "they said they do not like us, may they go where they belong". No anger, just a deep disappointment in a member of the family who thinks themselves better that others only because the others are apparently less smart or affluent.

Very sad.

Life is not just economy and politics. These can be fixed over time. Falling out of love with someone may never cure.

b.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:39   #43

Boat: Mahogany Centerborder 30 foot, 1937

On a foggy day many years ago a british newspaper headlined "Continent isolated". Their attitude towards Europe hasn't changed that much since then, it seems.

Sent from my Lenovo B8080-H using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-07-2016, 16:17   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Before the EU, Swedish weather commentators would jokingly say 'plenty of bad pressure coming from over England. Then it all got PC and they were asked to substitute with 'low pressure weather approaching from the West'.

b.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:02   #45

One of the few positives effects from the Brexit campaign, Nigel Farage, and UKIP on my cruising is that I've learned a new word to use (or not) in Malay (as used in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia) and Pilipino (as used in the Philippines).

Seeing as this is a family-friendly forum, I'll do no more than post a link for those who wish to follow:

Farage and his UKIP party leave M'sians in fits of laughter - Nation | The Star Online

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: