Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 16:14   #76

Re: U.S. Healthcare Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
But hey...the NSA spying under Bush was Impeachable...but under Obama....psst....you are a right-wing-radical-tea-party-terrorist for even raising concern.
Calling BS on that. It was the "left" as you might call it (Snowden and Greenwald) who brought the NSA story into the sunlight, and the great flowering of the new police state happened under... who, again?
Old 20-12-2013, 16:15   #77

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
One could also ask why a pacifist (or isolationist) should have to contribute 25% of their tax dollars to the machinery of warfare?

But I guess you were ok with it growing up, and when you made your pile from investments?
I used money from private sector work to put into investments, not government nor used the government in anyway shape or form.

Warfare is funded by corporate taxes (at least in the USA)...if you own a corporation I could see you being upset. Personal income tax pays the interest of the federal reserve.
Old 20-12-2013, 16:16   #78

Quote:
Calling BS on that. It was the "left" as you might call it (Snowden and Greenwald) who brought the NSA story into the sunlight, and the great flowering of the new police state happened under... who, again?
Snowden was a libertarian....
Old 20-12-2013, 16:18   #79
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:

Snowden is a " leftie" cause he whistle blowed , boy the definition of " left wing " has come along way. ,!!

Dave
Old 20-12-2013, 16:18   #80
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
One of the many indications that you actually have no idea what you're talking about. Why don't you take a few minutes to look up that "congressional exemption"?
Cat...I'm confuzed...are you saying there were no exemptions for the politically connected getting waviers? Of course Congress and Staff are getting a special deal...that's the way Animal Farm works. Some Pigs are more Equal than others....I read the book in 9th grade.
Old 20-12-2013, 16:21   #81
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post

I used money from private sector work to put into investments, not government nor used the government in anyway shape or form.

Warfare is funded by corporate taxes (at least in the USA)...if you own a corporation I could see you being upset. Personal income tax pays the interest of the federal reserve.
I think if you do the maths you'll find that's nonsense. Furthermore you live in a society rendered stable by the application of tax , that allows both you and the corporation you invested in to make money.

The alternative is anarchy , where the guy with the bigger gun , just takes your money , I bet you'd be wishing for big Government then.

Have a look at history , where Government broke down and people began to protect their interests without regard to others , the history of the Weimar Republic and its immediate aftermath are a useful place to start. There are several others.

Dave
Old 20-12-2013, 16:21   #82
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh you can call BS...but Gitmo is open, NSA spying is at levels that Bush could only dream about and the President can now change a law without going to Congress. Calling BS sounds cool, until you have to actually do something with the call's Meta Data.
Old 20-12-2013, 16:24   #83

$4000 sounds like a bargain for that. But yes the Medical industry is the biggest, most powerful industry in the USA. If you have no insurance you might be charged $5000 for a couple hours work. If you have insurance and see the bill, it might be $800. Seems to me everyone should pay the same price. No wonder people dont pay their bills.
I had a 45 minute minor surgury early this year, the total bill was about $20,000, I only paid $120. out of pocket.... I've got decent insurance for the first time in the last 20 years...!

Old 20-12-2013, 16:24   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I think if you do the maths you'll find that'd nonsense. Furthermore you live in a society rendered stable by the application of tax , that allows both you and the corporation you invested in to make money.

The alternative is anarchy , where the guy with the bigger gun , just takes your money , I bet you'd be wishing for big Government then.

Dave
Read the grace commission report...it tells all about government waste and where income tax dollars go.

You can still have protection (police, military, etc) without government. Right now the guy with the bigger gun (government) takes your money anyways by force or threat...I prefer to keep my earnings. Anarchy does not mean without rules in means without rulers.

Oh and I'm glad the government "allows" me to make money. They shouldn't have any say so in private affairs.
Old 20-12-2013, 16:25   #85

Quote:
Oh you can call BS...but Gitmo is open, NSA spying is at levels that Bush could only dream about and the President can now change a law without going to Congress. Calling BS sounds cool, until you have to actually do something with the call's Meta Data.
I agree. I can only make the call.
Old 20-12-2013, 16:26   #86
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

I'd be more worried about Google then the NSA , the NSA wants to know everything about criminals and terrorists , Googke wants to know everything about everyone , very scary.

Dave
Old 20-12-2013, 16:30   #87
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

[QUOTE=ontherocks83;1419546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
when I look around my waterfront neighborhood, I see doctors, drug reps, implant reps, etc, etc. That and lawyers are pretty much the only ones in florida making any money. I can point you in their direction as far as cutting their pay.QUOTE]

What's wrong with doctors making money? They work hard to go through school, accrue massive amounts of student loans to do so. They study and work harder then anything I can imagine and aren't supposed to be paid handsomely? They mostly work hard long hours and have massive amounts of stress due to trying to keep people alive and healthy.

I can easily tell you that when there were complications when my son was being born and the crash team rushed in the attending that was in charge could not have been paid enough to keep my baby and my wife alive and safe. She earned every penny making sure they were ok. I would rather have someone who is driven to be competitive to make money then driving those people away because we don't want them to get paid.
Sorry, really can't agree with this. So because someone gets into a profession to make money it makes them good at what they do? Absolutely not. I would much rather have a doctor that got into the medical field because it's what he's always wanted to do, his life's dream. They tend to take medicine beyond a way to make a living and actually use their degree to help people. This to me is a major problem with a capitalistic form of health care.
Old 20-12-2013, 16:31   #88
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I'd be more worried about Google then the NSA , the NSA wants to know everything about criminals and terrorists , Googke wants to know everything about everyone , very scary.

Dave
Just like the IRS only wanted to target Tea Party groups this time around....you or your group tomorrow...
Old 20-12-2013, 16:32   #89
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post

Read the grace commission report...it tells all about government waste and where income tax dollars go.

You can still have protection (police, military, etc) without government. Right now the guy with the bigger gun (government) takes your money anyways by force or threat...I prefer to keep my earnings. Anarchy does not mean without rules in means without rulers.

Oh and I'm glad the government "allows" me to make money. They shouldn't have any say so in private affairs.
The point is that tax is spent generally attempting to create a stable society. So for example , we create supports for people out of work , or on very low income , so that you can sleep at night, not worrying about the starving rabble breaking into your house.

We educate our kids to consistent levels to try an achieve the common good of an educated populace

We implement a police force, law and justice system to ensure reasonable compliance with societies rules.

You are not an island , you do not live on the planet on your own, it's a community, that community creates the situation that " allows" you to generate and more importantly keep, wealth. Be thankful and pay your taxes. The alternatives are all around the world for you to see.

Dave
Old 20-12-2013, 16:33   #90

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
$4000 sounds like a bargain for that. But yes the Medical industry is the biggest, most powerful industry in the USA. If you have no insurance you might be charged $5000 for a couple hours work. If you have insurance and see the bill, it might be $800. Seems to me everyone should pay the same price. No wonder people dont pay their bills.
I had a 45 minute minor surgury early this year, the total bill was about $20,000, I only paid $120. out of pocket.... I've got decent insurance for the first time in the last 20 years...!
I thought we had good insurance, united healthcare. Right now Id pay another 4k not to hurt! My major gripe is how they can chsrge so much against an insurance co, a huge oop cost to the insuree and I could potentially gone to another reputable place for the mri and paid less than half my oop with insurance...
Closed Thread