Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2009, 19:18   #1

Boat: Coronado 25 (Don't tell her I'm shopping for an upgrade)
Twitter as a Communication Tool for Cruisers / Sailors?

I just wrote two long paragraphs attempting to convince you why Twitter is a great tool for communication and how it would be awesome to be able to easily link up with any of the minds in this forum there. I deleted it in favor of these few sentences.

A lot of things people post things on Twitter that I find valuable that would be totally inappropriate and spammy in the forums. I'd say just go over there and add me, but I think it would be more helpful to everyone if there was a running list in a thread so everyone could refer to it.

There's a slot in the profiles for Skype, ICQ, et cetera, but no slot for Twitter. Mods?

I'll go first...
@sailtotrail
Andrew MacPherson (sailtotrail) on Twitter
Old 02-10-2009, 00:22   #2

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I
"I'm eating a sandwich........"

Mike...Guardian of the No-Tweet Zone
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 00:39   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Andrew, your whole post is an advertisement, so is your user name and your signature. Is your whole being just an ad?

I don't even have logo's on undies.

And here in this forum of a life far from the madding crowd the necessity of extra advertising is at its lowest lull of a outgoing tide of enthusiasm.... more like a breath of apathy, a gust of apathy at advertising.... a gale of apathy blowing advertising away....

Throw your twitter overboard! Follow it with your Raybans, Addadas, and the Shwooshy things. Chuck over all your AT&T's, your mobile phones, cell phones, blackberry, blueberry and just leave the tarts.

Be free to rush about the oceans!!!!!!!!!! Tell Mr Twitter to shove it up his butt! You are no longer behoven to a black box! You are now a sailor!!!!!

Mark of the clean, clear undies!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
I'm getting old...

I can remember when calling someone a twit could get you a bunch of fives. No, not the high fives, the one before that. Or was it the one before that.

So much new technology, so little time.

We've managed to avoid Facebook, the iPhone and Spot may even stay as a dog's name.

And singing in tune looks to be making a comeback.

I think I'll just go and take my arthritis meds.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:42   #5

Religion, Politics, and Twitter

Not being interested in Twitter does not at all warrant the cynical or argumentative nature of the first two replies.

MarkJ-
I'm sorry that 11 of the same letters appearing in my username on these forums, my username on Twitter, and my web address has incited your philosophical issues with advertising. Since you also have your web address in your signature, the fact that mine match (and perhaps personal details completely unrelated to this thread) appears to be my only sin. Unfortunately for my apparent advertising, I have nothing for sale on Twitter or my website.

In light of offending you, I have removed the redundant links from my signature for the time being. However! ...they only happen to be redundant because of the topic of this thread. Context does matter, so I'll take your criticism to heart and leave them off until this thread has aged a bit.

I've met several other sailors on Twitter who I find very interesting and insighful, which has also been the case on these forums until this hour. Since I have also enjoyed this site, I merely wanted to open the channel to people who are interested. I actually met a great contributor to this forum on Twitter before I discovered he was also on the forums.

Perhaps I appreciate Twitter because the negativity and mundanity are limited to 140 characters along with the ridiculously-more-common good stuff.

I hope y-OurLifeAtSea is always more like the smiles on your homepage than the tone of your reply.
---

This thread had no action until the hijacking, but I'm still interested in hearing from anyone who uses Twitter if that rare breed should happen upon this.

If you think Twitter is stupid, that's fine too, but please don't rain on everyone else's parade just because of your personal distaste.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:23   #6

Mike for king

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
"I'm eating a sandwich........"

Mike...Guardian of the No-Tweet Zone

You've got my vote. Keep up the good work.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:02   #7

@MikeinLA and @jdoe71

Thanks for showing solidarity by replying in 140 characters or less. I like your ironic approach.