Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 21:41   #31
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I think you will find that

with most so-called "charitable outfits". The bulk of the money they get in goes to support the infrastructure for more fundraising.

There was a thing about Morris Dees of The Southern Poverty Law Center
and the millions he rakes in.

Others are some of the charities that have Veterans tied into it.

In other words do your research before you give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
It seems that there is also reports that he was using the handicapped children as a line to actually gain money to support himself...

a controversial figure ?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 12:32   #32

Boat: Alden Malabar Sr 33
Re: Tristan (Arthur) Jones

All of the above. He was largely a fraud but more sadly a very insecure guy with a perennial chip on his shoulder who always walked around with a belly full of jealousy. A very colorful writer who could have had an amazing legacy, he wrote stories riven with lies, outrageous lies claiming to be in places on the globe when he could not possibly have been there. His sloppiness in researching his own fabrications are appalling. And we now know from Anthony Dalton's expose how dark his life really was and how profoundly sad it ended.
sloopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:18   #33

Boat: Pearson 34-II

As is the case with many intelligent, creative people, Tristan sought to rewrite reality into a narrative of the real and imagined world. For those who question his veracity, I would tell them to not judge him by the standards of a trite travel writer with precise reportage of his/her travels or by the reels of brain-dead videos by egomaniacally obsessed YTK "sailors" with a view to sailing stardom, but rather as a talented, introspective writer of tales of the sea and the human condition. I have read all of Tristan's books and they take the intelligent reader away from the mundane things that clutter our lives to a place of introspection that only a great storyteller can spin. Truth or Fiction? Who cares? Proficisci parabat . . . Rognvald
Old 02-05-2018, 07:43   #34

Rognvald hit the nail on the head. Or, as I like to say, never let the truth get in the way of a really good story.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:10   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
As is the case with many intelligent, creative people, Tristan sought to rewrite reality into a narrative of the real and imagined world. For those who question his veracity, I would tell them to not judge him by the standards of a trite travel writer with precise reportage of his/her travels or by the reels of brain-dead videos by egomaniacally obsessed YTK "sailors" with a view to sailing stardom, but rather as a talented, introspective writer of tales of the sea and the human condition. I have read all of Tristan's books and they take the intelligent reader away from the mundane things that clutter our lives to a place of introspection that only a great storyteller can spin. Truth or Fiction? Who cares? Proficisci parabat . . . Rognvald
Well done!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote