Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 23:45   #1

Trailer Width and Regulations.

i know the legal limit is 8'6'', but what would you need to trailer a boat legaly that is 9ft 2 wide? if you get the permits for a wide load does that cover only 1 state or do you have to get a wide load for each state you go through?

what would the issues be transporting a 9ft 2innch wide boat? any personal experience?

what would you guys do to take the boat cross country? Cali to Florida or at least Mississippi

thanks
John
tomales bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 03:03   #2

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
Re: Trailer Width and Regulations.

My Ranger 28 is 9'6" wide. I have been told that as long as it is not overweight, not too long or too high that you can squeeze by without permits. The total height on trailer is 12' so I am good with height and length. This was passed on to me by one who used to haul boats for a living. His biggest pain was stopping at border crossings and having to wait for a permit after faxing the information in. That was because he was commercial and paid to do that.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 08:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See the links to States ➥ Oversize/Overweight Load Permits - FHWA Freight Management and Operations

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 08:30   #4

over 8'6" is ticket territory. Some LEO's might let you slide. But legally, they can impound you right there and asses heavy fines.

Each state will require it's own permit. Some states require special insurance, and have vehicle requirements also.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 16:28   #5

Quote:
Overwidth Permits:
States may grant special use permits to motor vehicles, including manufactured housing, that exceed the Federal 102 inch width limitation.
8'6" is federal, but some states actually go higher. I hear in Texas it is more like 9'.

Be sure to call the number for your state and get the information and if permit is required for your particular load.
Old 23-03-2011, 17:43   #6

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

For whatever it's worth . . . we trailer our boat hundreds if not thousands of miles every year. The trailer width is 8'6", and if you were to measure out to the outside of the side marker lights on the fenders, it's probably 8'7". We have never been stopped, questioned, measured, or even looked at funny by law enforcement while pulling the trailer.

I don't want to encourage scofflaw behavior, though. And probably when it matters most is if you get into an accident, then they'll use anything and everything against you.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 19:16   #7

any one have a guess at how much permits would cost to trailer the boat cross country? or even the permit costs of one state just to know the ball park prices.

in caly they dont seem to be that much. and it looks like im in the clear for jsut about anything besides the permit. for pilot cars it needs to be over 12feet and the trailer is under 10 and its under 14ft and shorter then 80 and deff does not weigh 80,000lb

Oversize Transportation Permits and Pilot Flag Cars

i am not sure about there states but my guess would be cali would be the more expensive or stricter state.
Old 23-03-2011, 19:27   #8

i think sub 10ft is the best size for all states i see that i would even think of going through all it costs is a permit under 30$ so not bat not pilot car needed
Old 23-03-2011, 19:27   #9

click the state and read the rules

Wideload Shipping.com state regulations trucking map.
Old 26-03-2011, 17:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomales bay View Post
Awesome link!
I was actually able to contact both Texas and Louisiana about obtaining permits to town my Ranger 28 home from Fort Worth, Tx. The only overage is the 9'6" wide.

Thanks!
Old 26-03-2011, 18:18   #11

Boat: compac 16

i like that link to but it misses a few states. not many though. pretty much if your trailer is under 10ft wide and sub 14 tall you can go through any state that i have seen with just a cheap permit and no need for a guide/flag car. from all the permits i have been able to contact/google they are all super cheap for a 3day-2week permit.

some states only let you travel weekends or weekdays not holidays. while some as long as you are sub 10ft or sub 12ft in width depending on state will let you travel 24/7. or if you weigh to much you are limited for the days or hours that they say. but from what i see is that if you are sub 10 or 12 and not to long or over weight they dont care when you travel.

and some states sell a year wide load permit for not much more then the two week permit. so 8'6 is the legal limit but its virtually no hassle to get a wide load permit as long as its not a super wide or over weight load. so all the boats i have looked at were under 8'6 now i dont even care and have been looking at anything under 30ft long and under 10ft wide opens the door to a lot of boats.

thanks
John

if any one has any questions on wide load permits PM
samson is offline   Reply With Quote