Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:45   #121

Boat: Allures 44
Re: Top 5 Regrets of the Dying.

I crammed a lifetime of experiences into the first few decades. Recently I've been forced to slow the pace because some of my family members have health issues. For now that means cruising during the summers instead of sailing full time around the world. That's fine. A life well lived is about making use of time and opportunity, not checking items off a list.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43   #122

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
A life well lived is about making use of time and opportunity, not checking items off a list.

Plus my list keeps changing. I started out, like many, intending to sail around the world. A circumnavigator I met in Ala Wai ~ 1960 opined one had to sail RTW to realize you didn't have to.

But anyway Life (with a capital l) got in the way. Halfway through I no longer cared. Now, not only am I not going but I realize that for me, at least, sailing RTW means inclusive of the two big capes like my heroes did, and I damned sure am not doing that.

If I slide through these last few years anchoring out in So Fl and the keys, moving every few days, finding a safe-ish place to land my dinghy as needed, that will be good enough. If I read the signs correctly, I could be one of the last with this opportunity. And no regrets will be forthcoming as I go backwards over the side for that last time.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:31   #123

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Better than one that says his last words were: "Hey, watch this!"

My family have all agreed that on my headstone will be

I ENJOYED IT.
stilroaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:48   #124

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
As an old-timey English teacher, I'm not really troubled by your distinction of upper/lower case "free will." Note however that you're also using upper case for the terms "Man", "Will", and "Representation". I think this blows your argument. An argument which is also a distinction without a difference. (Sophistry, plain and simple, IMO.)

Not that I give a sheet. I always felt that (P)philosophy was Mumbo Jumbo. But to lay it on CF members, many of whom can't even spell, and are too ignorant or uncaring to use the spell checker is a bully-ish bit of behavior.

Blue Crab, as a former English teacher you know that words like Reason, Free Will, Idealism and Materialism are abstract nouns. It has been common usage and accepted practice in most writings of philosophy to capitalize these words to distinguish them as philosophical concepts rather than generalized terms open to various interpretations. Similarly, terms like Transcendentalism, Romanticism and Realism are capitalized when used to describe periods of literature as you should well know from your previous academic studies. To characterize my comments as sophistry is not only innacurate but unfair and to characterize philosophy as "Mumbo Jumbo" denies the intellectual legacy of 3,000 years of Western Thought. In a forum of free and open discussion, contrary opinions need not be described as "bully-ish" if they don't agree with your ideas.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37   #125

pirate Re: Top 5 Regrets of the Dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Blue Crab, as a former English teacher you know that words like Reason, Free Will, Idealism and Materialism are abstract nouns. It has been common usage and accepted practice in most writings of philosophy to capitalize these words to distinguish them as philosophical concepts rather than generalized terms open to various interpretations. Similarly, terms like Transcendentalism, Romanticism and Realism are capitalized when used to describe periods of literature as you should well know from your previous academic studies.

As stated, I have no real argument with this usage as above. As a cultured man, I prefer symphonic music from the Classical era myself rather than modern combinations of sounds and speech such as Rap, Crap, and Hip Hap.

To characterize my comments as sophistry is not only innacurate but unfair and to characterize philosophy as "Mumbo Jumbo" denies the intellectual legacy of 3,000 years of Western Thought.

Perhaps, and though I cannot cite chapter and verse due to an utter lack of a written record, I assure you, Sir, that the term "Mumbo Jumbo" is an established term dating from antiquity and still in use today under the perjorative "GovSpeak."

In a forum of free and open discussion, contrary opinions need not be described as "bully-ish" if they don't agree with your ideas.
Ah, the crux of the discussion. My reference to "bully-ish" was directed to your insistence on formalities when intercoursing with outspoken and prolific CFers, many of whom are dullish or unwashed or in my case: both.

So, while my thoughts on this matter remain, as do yours I am certain, I will defend your right to hold such morbidly boring beliefs to my death. (yeah, fecking right! or til I'm outa sight.)
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04   #126

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Jeez Virginia Boy, I hope you don't get a job in the Tourist board ! and there was me thinking of going over for a holiday and have a look at parts of the Great Loop.

David Old Jersey, I never tried drugs and always got enough highs from a few beers with people who are genuine friends, Morphine brings on malaria symptoms so I guess that's me f....d ! I guess I'll just over the side for Davy Jones locker
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:34   #127

So, while my thoughts on this matter remain, as do yours I am certain, I will defend your right to hold such morbidly boring beliefs to my death. (yeah, fecking right! or til I'm outa sight.) BlueCrab 2012

Since I am dealing with an extremely genteel and educated soul whose refinements and command of Literature and the English language are second to none, I would proffer the words of the late Wm. Shakespeare who commented in 1588 in "Love's Labour Lost,"

Good Lord Boyet, my beauty, though but mean,
Needs not the painted flourish of your praise;
Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye,
Not utter'd by base sale of Chapman's tongues.

By the way, which of the five regrets of dying does this represent?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:11   #128

And from Bill's contemporary:

“It is not the responsibility of knights errant to discover whether the afflicted, the enchained and the oppressed whom they encounter on the road are reduced to these circumstances and suffer this distress for their vices, or for their virtues: the knight's sole responsibility is to succour them as people in need, having eyes only for their sufferings, not for their misdeeds.”
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Arguably 1,3, and 5.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:31   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

And now for something completely different.A bit of levity.

Coops.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:56   #130

No joy here in the USA: "This video contains content from SME, EMI Music Publishing and EMI, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that."
Old 10-12-2012, 14:07   #131

Quote:

And from Bill's contemporary:

“It is not the responsibility of knights errant to discover whether the afflicted, the enchained and the oppressed whom they encounter on the road are reduced to these circumstances and suffer this distress for their vices, or for their virtues: the knight's sole responsibility is to succour them as people in need, having eyes only for their sufferings, not for their misdeeds.”
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Arguably 1,3, and 5.

And how appropriate to quote the comically tragic Idealist Don Quixote de la Mancha as your elevated persona. A knight errant, indeed!
Old 10-12-2012, 14:48   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
No joy here in the USA: "This video contains content from SME, EMI Music Publishing and EMI, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that."
Well, wouldn't that put bird droppings in your ice cream then? Sorry folks.

Coops.
Old 10-12-2012, 16:52   #133

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
when intercoursing with outspoken and prolific CFers, many of whom are dullish or unwashed
Darn right.

Why don't you guys take it private.

Or start them chiseling your headstone with it.
Old 10-12-2012, 17:36   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Or start them chiseling your headstone with it.
I'm thru arguing. I don't really know my Mumbo Jumbo from my Bad JuJu, or my Hoodoo from my Voodoo for that matter.
Old 12-12-2012, 19:18   #135

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Regrets are for those that are not in possession of self forgiveness. Bitterness are for those lacking possession of forgiveness towards others.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote