Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-12-2012, 11:18   #106

Boat: Cal 29
Re: Top 5 Regrets of the Dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I am definitely a player . Takes all types!
Proof is the pudding Lassie. My guess is most of us are players. Or becoming players, making hard decisions, moving on.

Old 07-12-2012, 13:16   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Because we have Free Will (...)
Free Will = free will?

Or is it some sort of registered trade mark?

We may have it, we may not have it. Hard to say and I have seen proof to either take.

b.

Old 07-12-2012, 13:29   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
(...) consciously made wrong choices .
+1!

And I think we grossly overrate human condition if we think that someone who had no regrets and made conscious, wrong choices, will suddenly become a zen thinker and regret anything on their death bed.

Why not assume for a moment that some people are 'regretters' while others are 'non-regretters'. Now the regretters will regret all along and also when they are dying. The non-regretters will just die, no regrets, no Free Will, no nothing.

b.
Old 07-12-2012, 15:48   #109
Occasional User

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Because we have Free Will, Man should have no regrets when he dies since his life is the outcome of his conscious/subconscious choices. It is an illusion of the mind that we are helpless puppets being controlled by a Master Puppeteer. It is this illusion that creates any regrets we have about dying.
I would have to add to that ... if you live or have lived in a free country where you can exercise that free will. Not everyone has that opportunity, nor the the ability to move to somewhere else.
Old 07-12-2012, 16:11   #110
I promise to put my pants on

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I haven't read most of the pages of this thread!

I'm only 52 and know I will die! I currently have no regrets about things I haven't done yet, only regrets about things I have done in life far as family, moral etc.

I don't really believe most people at the end of their life lived such a good moral life and were such a good person that they can look back at it and be more regretful about things they didn't do over regretful for the ones they did do! While there are a few truly exceptional people in the world, most who try to claim they are more regretful for lost experiences over the ones they actually did is full of it!

If you have a "bucket list" that is more important to complete at end of life than past sins to correct, I whole heartily am glad you lived well and touched people! But I believe most of us would have been better to have lived a good day to day life!

I don't plan to read this thread again!
Old 07-12-2012, 16:21   #111
Occasional User

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I haven't read most of the pages of this thread!

I'm only 52 and know I will die! I currently have no regrets about things I haven't done yet, only regrets about things I have done in life far as family, moral etc.

I don't really believe most people at the end of their life lived such a good moral life and were such a good person that they can look back at it and be more regretful about things they didn't do over regretful for the ones they did do! While there are a few truly exceptional people in the world, most who try to claim they are more regretful for lost experiences over the ones they actually did is full of it!

If you have a "bucket list" that is more important to complete at end of life than past sins to correct, I whole heartily am glad you lived well and touched people! But I believe most of us would have been better to have lived a good day to day life!

I don't plan to read this thread again!
Every sentence but one ends in an exclamation mark (!). Have you had too much coffee today?
Old 07-12-2012, 16:42   #112

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Caribsailor-I am kind of hoping I end up as an aid to navigation-I'd like to think I can help some poor sailor have a better day!

Maybe the CG/NOAA could start a "Memorial Bouy Program". For a small donation, a brass plaque and a note in the charts!
Old 08-12-2012, 00:05   #113

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Some idiot would run aground, wreck his boat and sue your heirs because he was distracted by trying to read the plaque.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 00:51   #114

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles

I would have to add to that ... if you live or have lived in a free country where you can exercise that free will. Not everyone has that opportunity, nor the the ability to move to somewhere else.
You can only move to somewhere else if you stay of the TSA no fly list. lol
Old 08-12-2012, 03:45   #115

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Instead of banging on about it why not do something useful like go tidy a locker

There's is my lesson in life, (apparently traceable back to the Buddha 2,500 years ago). No point trying to make any sense of it, just get on with today and the rest will fall into place.

Some days getting on with it means packing in a job. (which I'm slowly doing, again)
Old 08-12-2012, 08:47   #116

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Free Will = free will?

Or is it some sort of registered trade mark?

We may have it, we may not have it. Hard to say and I have seen proof to either take.

b.
Barnakiel, The reason I have used the upper case in spelling "Free Will" is to define that it is a specific, well defined and commonly accepted philosophical concept used frequently among philosophers especially: Schopenhauer, Nietsche, Camus, Sartre, Aquinas, Campbell, Descartes, Plato to name a few . . . This would also apply when using concepts like Reason, Realism, Idealism, Materialism, etc. and to use the lower case as in "free will" would not only be gramatically incorrect, but would leave the term open to unclear and varied interpretations. I hope that answers your question.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:07   #117

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Barnakiel, The reason I have used the upper case in spelling "Free Will" is to define that it is a specific, well defined and commonly accepted philosophical concept used frequently among philosophers especially: Schopenhauer, Nietsche, Camus, Sartre, Aquinas, Campbell, Descartes, Plato to name a few . . . This would also apply when using concepts like Reason, Realism, Idealism, Materialism, etc. and to use the lower case as in "free will" would not only be gramatically incorrect, but would leave the term open to unclear and varied interpretations. I hope that answers your question.
Not a big thing in neuroscience though, where most of the decision making process seems to go on under the bonnet...

In the end who cares, reality is whatever you think it is, not really that much to do with the actual events but more with how you react to events. Might as well enjoy it
Old 08-12-2012, 11:12   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK, I get it. You meant 'Free Will' (not free will).

BTW I am surprised the above mentioned philosophers agreed on any definition. They do seem to 'somewhat' differ on any given issue.

The distinction is indeed new to me, but that's what makes life amazing - one can learn something new every day.

THX for pointing out the difference to me.

Cheers,
b.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:44   #119

Old 09-12-2012, 07:34   #120

Quote:
If you believe Man has Free Will then there are no right or wrong choices, only choices you have made in life. The regret you may feel from those choices is the mind's attempt to create order and reason where there is none. Irrespective of what we think, life is a succession of choices resulting from our Will. The Will is the Representation of life.

As an old-timey English teacher, I'm not really troubled by your distinction of upper/lower case "free will." Note however that you're also using upper case for the terms "Man", "Will", and "Representation". I think this blows your argument. An argument which is also a distinction without a difference. (Sophistry, plain and simple, IMO.)

Not that I give a sheet. I always felt that (P)philosophy was Mumbo Jumbo. But to lay it on CF members, many of whom can't even spell, and are too ignorant or uncaring to use the spell checker is a bully-ish bit of behavior.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: