Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Top 5 Regrets of the Dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Mai koa jai...

Poop pa sa Thai nid noi...
The first word I learnt was Mao.......

....from hearing it a lot .

FWIW, during one my (many!) failed attempts at learning Thai I decided to learn to read (and write it)..........I produced some flashcards for the Constonants (I never got around to the vowels!) - I put them online (circa 2004?) in Word (with an explanation in my usual "style" ). They can be printed straight onto sheets of business cards........

Thaiflashcards

Obviously we all learn slightly differently, but I found them quite useful as I could flick through for only a minute or 2 (when I could be assed!) rather than having to sit down for an extended study session .......I recall that at one time I could recognise them in random order - pronounciation sucked though .........if I'd kept it up, I would now be fluent - or at least literate!

errrr, back on topic - one of my regrets will very likely be not learning a second language (above numbers, beer and 'eff orf ).

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:05   #92
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Thanks everybody for your comments. Sorry it's taken a few days to respond. I originally wasn't going to say anything but this thread was just so timely. My Mom and Dad had a place in the Keys, and Dad was the one who, when I was 14 years old, sparked my life long love for sailboats with a simple comment. "You can go around the world from here on a sailboat" No matter where life took me, how hard I worked, how far away from the ocean I was, I can never look at a body of water without remembering those words. I brought Dad to our home a little over two weeks ago and Hospice of Broward stepped in. I always knew there was Hospice, but I never knew how phenomenal they really are until now. They made Dad very comfortable and helped us understand each phase he went through. Though it was very hard to let Dad go, he went the way he wanted and not in some cold hospital. Again, thanks for all the condolences from everyone.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:30   #93

Boat: Seafarer 34'
Send a message via Skype™ to KelleyG

While I'm no where near dying (of old age anyway), I just quit my corporate day job in NY to avoid #2. About to embark on a 6 month sail through the Caribbean and open up a hostel in Colombia. Working for yourself and doing something you truly care about is so much more rewarding!
KelleyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42   #94

Disclaimer... I have not read the comments in this thread.

It's sort of a dumb idea... assuming that we have the option to go for things which are outside of our day to day existence... things that seem achievable but for rather insubstantial reasons we may let them prevent us from these dreamed about experiences.

The constraints are often things like... available time.... family responsibilities/obligations... finances.... technical know how... All of this as it applies to getting a boat and cruising off into the sunset... for X years.

I never dreamed of, thought about... sailing off and living a cruising life style. I fell into sailing by accident, found it quite wonderful and ended up with my own boat because the friend who got me hooked backed out a partnership deal on a boat so I went it alone on the boat I still have 27 yrs later. My life circumstances permitted me to go cruising for 4 years when I was 43 yrs young. My parents had recently passed.. I was divorced with no children to care for... I was unburdened by property to hold me... and the economy dipped and I have savings to blow so... I did the probably no wise financial decisions and took the money and sailed off for 4 yrs. It was 4 yrs of wonderful experiences... pre internet... but it was not a dream until I made it a goal the year before I actually left.

At 65 I am too old to be doing what a young me would have done. But I have no regrets about not doing anything before I died. I've traveled many places... but of course there are many more I've not seen with my own eyes. That's too bad. But I see so much with digital media these days... it's almost as good.. Some experiences definitely need to be real and not memorex.

Now I'd like to finish the boat list.... hahaha
Old 07-12-2012, 08:43   #95

Kelly,
I don't what sort of help or advice I can give you two... but contact me and I am more than willing to share my experiences. And I'm close by.
Jef
Old 07-12-2012, 09:04   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Disclaimer... I have not read the comments in this thread.

It's sort of a dumb idea... assuming that we have the option to go for things which are outside of our day to day existence... things that seem achievable but for rather insubstantial reasons we may let them prevent us from these dreamed about experiences.

The constraints are often things like... available time.... family responsibilities/obligations... finances.... technical know how... All of this as it applies to getting a boat and cruising off into the sunset... for X years.

I never dreamed of, thought about... sailing off and living a cruising life style. I fell into sailing by accident, found it quite wonderful and ended up with my own boat because the friend who got me hooked backed out a partnership deal on a boat so I went it alone on the boat I still have 27 yrs later. My life circumstances permitted me to go cruising for 4 years when I was 43 yrs young. My parents had recently passed.. I was divorced with no children to care for... I was unburdened by property to hold me... and the economy dipped and I have savings to blow so... I did the probably no wise financial decisions and took the money and sailed off for 4 yrs. It was 4 yrs of wonderful experiences... pre internet... but it was not a dream until I made it a goal the year before I actually left.

At 65 I am too old to be doing what a young me would have done. But I have no regrets about not doing anything before I died. I've traveled many places... but of course there are many more I've not seen with my own eyes. That's too bad. But I see so much with digital media these days... it's almost as good.. Some experiences definitely need to be real and not memorex.

Now I'd like to finish the boat list.... hahaha
DefJef:

Sounds like you had a pretty good plan for someone who really had no plan at first and now you have good memories from pursuing it. Sometimes the best thing is to follow those opportunities as they show up.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:58   #97

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Because we have Free Will, Man should have no regrets when he dies since his life is the outcome of his conscious/subconscious choices. It is an illusion of the mind that we are helpless puppets being controlled by a Master Puppeteer. It is this illusion that creates any regrets we have about dying.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:04   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Because we have Free Will, Man should have no regrets when he dies since his life is the outcome of his conscious/subconscious choices. It is an illusion of the mind that we are helpless puppets being controlled by a Master Puppeteer. It is this illusion that creates any regrets we have about dying.
I disagree. I don't think it's the illusion that it was out of their control that makes people regret things, it is the thought that they consciously made wrong choices .
Old 07-12-2012, 10:25   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I disagree. I don't think it's the illusion that it was out of their control that makes people regret things, it is the thought that they consciously made wrong choices .
If you believe Man has Free Will then there are no right or wrong choices, only choices you have made in life. The regret you may feel from those choices is the mind's attempt to create order and reason where there is none. Irrespective of what we think, life is a succession of choices resulting from our Will. The Will is the Representation of life.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:30   #100

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

"Mark, If you go to Denali or Yellowstone, the rangers there might find a bit of you left. The bears and wolves in both parks rarely turn down a free meal. "

If not for the rangers on Denali, I would still be up there. Thanks guys it wasn't my time yet.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:32   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If you believe Man has Free Will then there are no right or wrong choices, only choices you have made in life. The regret you may feel from those choices is the mind's attempt to create order and reason where there is none. Irrespective of what we think, life is a succession of choices resulting from our Will. The Will is the Representation of life.
I certainly believe I have Free Will (type A personality here ). I am therefore free to make right or wrong choices .
Old 07-12-2012, 10:43   #102

Quote:
I certainly believe I have Free Will (type A personality here ). I am therefore free to make right or wrong choices .

"Right" and "Wrong" are subjective terms that change with place and time. That is why "right" decisions made at one place/time in your life become "wrong" in another.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:54   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"Right" and "Wrong" are subjective terms that change with place and time. That is why "right" decisions made at one place/time in your life become "wrong" in another.
I agree, but as we have free will these are our choices to make and we live by the consequences.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:07   #104

Boat: Cal 29

Quote:
I think so. But that's not the end of it.

"What you have is what you chose. To move on, choose it."

Life is hardball.

Some watch. Some play.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:15   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I think so. But that's not the end of it.

"What you have is what you chose. To move on, choose it."

Life is hardball.

Some watch. Some play.

I am definitely a player . Takes all types!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: