Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-12-2012, 21:00   #136

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Re: Top 5 Regrets of the Dying.

I just came across this while reading Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath". The characters are discussing someone who is afraid of dying.

"... Fella having fun, he don't give a damn; but a fella mean an' lonely an' old an' disappointed - he's scared of dyin!"

Old 12-12-2012, 21:13   #137

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I just came across this while reading Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath". The characters are discussing someone who is afraid of dying.

"... Fella having fun, he don't give a damn; but a fella mean an' lonely an' old an' disappointed - he's scared of dyin!"
Exactly!

Old 12-12-2012, 21:28   #138
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Since the OP wanted a List:
David Letterman Drum Roll please:

5:: I just renewed my Medical Insurance
4:: I never did learn to play the violin
3:: I still have some money left in the Bank
2:: I never apologized for that thing!! …not telling!
And the number on regret….
1:: I was never able to prove my own Immortality!
Old 12-12-2012, 22:27   #139

I just have one question; what risk?
Oh, you mean stubbing your toe on that same cleat, AGAIN!
Sailing has to be the safest physical sport on earth. Even ocean sailing. With the millions of sailors out there these days, it is a miniscule percentage who come to harm. Anyone who uses the danger of sailing as an excuse not to sail, should probably not get out of bed in the morning, either.
Old 12-12-2012, 23:16   #140

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Every sentence but one ends in an exclamation mark (!). Have you had too much coffee today?
Just his last sentence was important...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:25   #141

Boat: Catalina 30

Having already done the going room temp thing once, I don't remember much of the last after the nurse put a pen, TOD card and stethoscope next to me. That is when I drifted off to a warm island. I do remember after returning to this world being very PO'd that the doctors told my spouse to go ahead and leave because I was okay.

Like many of you, I can say a major regret is taken care of with owning a boat. In fact many major regrets are gone with owning a boat. Except owning a different or maybe another boat. But, that is something still possible to take care of.

Now if only I had a new friend to share not having a regretless life with. Or rather a dog.
Old 21-12-2012, 20:18   #142

Boat: hunter 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
How odd, there always seems to be a new thread relevant to my situation no matter how far removed from sailing it is. After a lifetime of good health, and having reached my 54th birthday on Saturday, I will be undergoing major surgery this friday, so pondering my mortality and life's regrets has been foremost on my mind for a few weeks.
A foot traverse of Banks Island in the high arctic was nearly realized in my younger days, but shall remain as my only unrealized regret, unless I manage to actually accomplish it someday. Hard for some to understand, not so much for others, but last weeks Paul McCartney concert here in Vancouver was a lifelong dream come true, especially since I missed his last Vancouver appearance 48 years ago.
Other than that, I did over 500 extended freefall parachute jumps, did scuba, climbed a few mountains, did search and rescue work for 7 years, had a career that took me all across Canada and around the world. Have two healthy happy grown children, a grand-daughter almost three, a wife who loves me for all my faults, a downtown condo overlooking False Creek, a cabin in the woods I built myself, and a Hunter 31 we sail to islands and coves around the incredible BC coast, and finally, a lot of great friends in the False Creek Yacht Club. I co-own and operate a successful manufacturing plant, and want to retire someday, not to soon, and own a bigger, better boat. And this from a guy who was raised in foster care and on welfare, quit school at 16 and left home to be free of a violent alcoholic. Regrets? With a life as great as I've had? Nah. But, bring on the surgery, the best chapter of my life hasn't been written yet. I may yet walk across Banks Island, and the sailing is just gonna keep getting better and better.

"I had a friend who lamented the price of fuel for his beautiful motor yacht, so I asked him if he had heard of a wind generated propulsion system for boats.
"no," he replied, "what do they call this system?
"sails" I replied."

Cheers,
David
Home from the hospital, surgery went well, thanks for the best wishes.
Although I was supposed to get a private room, none were available, So I recovered in a 4 bed ward, which allowed me an opportunity to meet some people who were in a similar situation. One in particular, was admitted a couple days into my recovery. he was loud, abrasive, and complained to all about his problems, his health, no money, poor treatment by all his doctors, ect. I was able to gather he had some very serious health problems, faced multiple surgeries, lived alone, and was 1000 miles from his home in Northern B.C. He was bitter and angry, as one might expect, and spent most of his time just staring ahead and scowling. After chatting with him for a while, he accepted my offer to pay for tv service at his bed, which gave him something to occupy his time, and gave him at least one aquaintence so he felt a little less isolated. (One of the nurses heard what I had done, and came to tell me what a wonderful person I was, so I told her I bought the tv just to shut him up for a while.)
It had a remarkable effect on him, and gave me time to reflect more on life's regrets. Unlike my abrasive ward-mate, My one health issue has been resolved with surgery. I live only a few minutes from the hospital, and had frequent visits from my grown kids and my wife, who spent many hours fussing over me and spending time with me watching movies. I have no financial woes, and my extended health plan pays my salary during my entire recovery. Compare that with my ward mate, and I can tell you I walked out of that hospital with a deep gratitude for what I have, and can truly appreciate that saying "there but for the grace of God go I."
Old 22-12-2012, 00:03   #143

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Every day above the sod is a good day.
Try and do one good deed every day, even simple things like good manners and etiquette can give another person respect and self confidence. This life we have is not a practice run so enjoy every moment and treat people as you would like to be treated yourself. Enough of the serious stuff. Pet hates ? people with bad manners and those that eat/chew gum with their mouth open, UGH absolutely disgusting !
Have faith Shorebird, the boss didn't ring down FWE for you yet.
Good Luck with the convalescence.
Old 22-12-2012, 03:01   #144
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
"there but for the grace of God go I."
Glad the surgery went well.
Maybe your ward mate being confronted by death will realise that no matter how poor, or no matter the adversity, a smile is free and makes the smiler as happy as the smiled.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 05:32   #145
Armchair Bucketeer

[QUOTE=shorebird;1112494]Home from the hospital, surgery went well, thanks for the best wishes.[QUOTE]

Good stuff Yer don't tend to appreciate decent health until you lose it .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 07:34   #146

Boat: Tartan 33

Quote:
I walked out of that hospital with a deep gratitude for what I have, and can truly appreciate that saying "there but for the grace of God go I."
Shorebird, glad all went well. A common belief across many religions is that if you do good to others, that the same good karma/luck/mojo/whatever comes back to you.

It always good to "pay ahead" just in case.

Bll
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 07:35   #147

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Blue Crab, as a former English teacher you know that words like Reason, Free Will, Idealism and Materialism are abstract nouns. It has been common usage and accepted practice in most writings of philosophy to capitalize these words to distinguish them as philosophical concepts rather than generalized terms open to various interpretations. Similarly, terms like Transcendentalism, Romanticism and Realism are capitalized when used to describe periods of literature as you should well know from your previous academic studies. To characterize my comments as sophistry is not only innacurate but unfair and to characterize philosophy as "Mumbo Jumbo" denies the intellectual legacy of 3,000 years of Western Thought. In a forum of free and open discussion, contrary opinions need not be described as "bully-ish" if they don't agree with your ideas.
Regret #6 - The number of minutes of my life burned in English (...now should that be a cap, or not...) classes. Past Participles? Irregular Verbs?
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 07:51   #148

Shorebird:

Glad things went well. Any hospital bed you can walk away from is good. Though of course it is better to avoid them if you can and remind ourselves to enjoy every day that we are on the water. I was reminded of this when I stopped at City Island on a cruise a few years ago:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: DESTINATION: CITY ISLAND PART TWO: ISLAND OF THE DEAD
Old 22-12-2012, 08:32   #149

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Top 5 Regrets of the Dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafthaus View Post
Regret #6 - The number of minutes of my life burned in English (...now should that be a cap, or not...) classes. Past Participles? Irregular Verbs?
I hear you mate. And English is always capped. Good recall!

A+
Old 22-12-2012, 10:09   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I just have one question; what risk?
Oh, you mean stubbing your toe on that same cleat, AGAIN!
Sailing has to be the safest physical sport on earth. Even ocean sailing. With the millions of sailors out there these days, it is a miniscule percentage who come to harm. Anyone who uses the danger of sailing as an excuse not to sail, should probably not get out of bed in the morning, either.
I find your comments and that of G-girl somewhat short sighted. When all I did was sail in the Caribbean, I thought sailing was simple too. Come on up to the Columbia Bank and go sailing with me. And though most of my life I must admit I thought I would never have regrets, I now see things I could have done better, relationships I should have taken care of that I did not.
No, I have regrets. I should have loved more.
And if you feel like sailing is easy, come up and go to wind on 20 ft. swells. And tell me why I have a titanium humerus. And why people die out here on a regular basis.

But I still can't give it up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: