Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2009, 17:57   #1

Boat: Pearson 26
Title / Registration

I have a 1988 O'Day Daysailer I bought from a retired doctor. He said he didn't have the title for it because the boat yard that sold it to him (at least 15 years earlier) never gave him one. Now it seems impossible to get it registered and legal. Do I need to go to the boatyard and try to get a title from them? Are they even going to bother with such a trivial thing (from their perspective) on a day sailer they sold so long ago? Is there an easier way to get this done? (I'm in MA, btw, if that makes any difference). The Registry is pretty useless when it comes to offering any suggestions.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 18:27   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
it looks like you need to get a bill of sale from the doc...and contact the title division..

Massachusetts RMV - Registrations and Titles FAQs

Massachusetts RMV - Registrations and Titles FAQs

They can also do a search on previous titles with the vin number or in your case maybe the hull number
Old 31-12-2009, 18:42   #3

Boat: Pearson 26
Yeah...the doctor wrote a bill of sale, but according to the registry, I can't register the boat without the title. And the only way to get a title (apparently) is to go back through the chain of ownership until I find the last lien holder that says it's free and clear - paid in full. Then I have to get all the signatures on the title from each of the transferees and bills of sale for each transfer - ugh. There has to be an easier way?
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 18:49   #4
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
The hin search will tell you who holds the title for the boat. Often boatyards end up with abandoned boats with no title. They either go the lien route where they file a lien then send the owner a registered letter requesting resolution of the lien then can take legal ownership (title) if lien is not resolved. Sometimes they sell boat as salvage where original titleholder is still the actual owner if questions arise. The hin search will tell if the yard did their homework and who is the legal owner.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration