Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 08:56   #1

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
This Is Our Yacht Club

I have begun to think of CF in terms of a yacht club. Specifically in terms of the moderation. Would you go down to the club and insult someone? In most cases not intentionally I am sure.

On occasion when members have been in the bar all day they need to be told to get up and go sleep it off down on their boat. Things get out of hand. (Not sayin it's not fun.)

Just imagine yourself down at the yacht club and the be nice rules make sense. How are you going to get Gord to explain the rule of 12 (which we all need to know) if we are all in a long term harrangue?

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:11   #2

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
I insult my fellow yacht club members frequently. I expect to be insulted in return. It is the quickest, most honest form of communication I know. Civility means taking twice as long to say something so that no one is offended, even when one should be, and running the risk that the point gets lost. Bad ideas, crackpot schemes, unfounded opinions and general stupidity should be addressed as exactly that, and if the individual on the receiving end gets all butthurt, GOOD. It means they may be less arrogant, stupid, annoying, naive, idiotic, stupid or just plain jerkish next time.

I have a name for those I insult, who insult me in return- friend. Chances are, that is how the friendship was formed.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:23   #3

Some people deserved to be insulted. You're defined as much by your friends as your enemies.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:27   #4

I am with you on bad ideas and unfounded opinions but I love crackpot schemes. I love it when they work. It's hilarious when they don't. (Hopefully)

Todd
Old 07-12-2010, 09:36   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I've always thought that 'one only gets one chance to make a first impression'.

So joking around with someone you know is different then coming right out and stabbing someone you've never met. Here on CF, some of us have been here for a while and do take our liberties with other long term members which could be construed as insults.

But on the other hand bljones seems half right. As a Navy sailor in the S.Pac., in port, we would get into fist fights with the Aussies after passing insults back and forth then end up buying each other a beer, and sometimes not!

Life is all about 'how well' one handles each situation.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

bljones seems half right.
Woohoo! a huge step up from the most common evaluation, which is "he just ain't right"
Old 07-12-2010, 09:58   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
And then again, some of us are like wolves, and gang up on a newbee.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i stay away from snot clubs, and i love watching crackpot schemes fly!!! especially those i have interest in or start....blue blazers make me itch. the stoopit hats make me cringe. calling a 25 ft sailboat a yacht makes me shudder-- where do ye place the helo?? isnt room!!! pushpits are an item only found on luggers.... not sloops or ketches.
yipes...lemme outta here--not cf--i LOVE you guys and gurleez---lets go sailing--quick before some fur flies..LOL... mebbe a fly with fur would be a good thing?? can see it better???
beer, anyone?? goes well with popcorn.....
and half right is better than allll wrong, isnt it/?? but then, who isit really is the judge of right and not right?? or is it right and left??/ is all in th e mined of the inturpritur....

wolves are gentle compared to some wolverines in some forums..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:06   #9

AHH So

I think Del has a point. The worst fight I ever got in in my life was with two drunken CPO's from my own ship. After I got done sweeping off the pier, I was never given another dirty job. But I was 19 then and was gonna live forever.

It could have been the wrong impression but it worked out okay. Still that was the navy and not the yacht club. And Z not snot club with nose in the air.

Todd
Old 07-12-2010, 11:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I think Del has a point. The worst fight I ever got in in my life was with two drunken CPO's from my own ship. After I got done sweeping off the pier, I was never given another dirty job. But I was 19 then and was gonna live forever.

It could have been the wrong impression but it worked out okay. Still that was the navy and not the yacht club. And Z not snot club with nose in the air.

Todd
lol--- i am here because of no blue blazers and no snot--lol--is good here.
that snot club my grandmother joined me into "for life" was a lil tooooo toooo--- i was 16--i am still OFF yacht clubs..LOL....she wanted to have luncheon at the yacht club- i just wanted to be left alone....she wanted a princess for a granddaughter so she could have "influence" -- her transition to reality never happened,as i continually mortified her-was my JOB...and here, snot clubs members are bullies to those choosing to abstain from the misadventure. my only yacht club is, by design (pun intended) leaky teaky yacht club. we have similar issues..and are helpful to one another, as opposed to competitive and snotty--now if we could get reciprocity in st thomas.........rofl. i prefer instigating to bullying-but a good smack upasideda head never hurt more than the time it takes to open a pretend beer....i LOVE it here--yeah, i been smacked too--is all part of life and living the adventure.
Old 07-12-2010, 13:49   #11

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I insult my fellow yacht club members frequently. I expect to be insulted in return. It is the quickest, most honest form of communication I know. Civility means taking twice as long to say something so that no one is offended, even when one should be, and running the risk that the point gets lost. Bad ideas, crackpot schemes, unfounded opinions and general stupidity should be addressed as exactly that, and if the individual on the receiving end gets all butthurt, GOOD. It means they may be less arrogant, stupid, annoying, naive, idiotic, stupid or just plain jerkish next time.

I have a name for those I insult, who insult me in return- friend. Chances are, that is how the friendship was formed.
Aaah... the fallback position of the linguistically challenged, and a subtle admission that your knowledge is defficient in this area.

I DO think you come across as a belligerent dickhead, but if you buy me a beer you can be a mate...

Just don't spill it on my double breasted blue blazer with 9 carrat gold buttons. I need to keep it looking good because I wear it with an open neck shirt to stuffy, black tie events.

But I really enjoy the CF 'club', precisely because it has such a wide range of interesting and colourful characters.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 19:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Aaah... the fallback position of the linguistically challenged, and a subtle admission that your knowledge is defficient in this area.

I DO think you come across as a belligerent dickhead, but if you buy me a beer you can be a mate...

Just don't spill it on my double breasted blue blazer with 9 carrat gold buttons. I need to keep it looking good because I wear it with an open neck shirt to stuffy, black tie events.

But I really enjoy the CF 'club', precisely because it has such a wide range of interesting and colourful characters.
Mr. Pot,
While pointing out that I am linguistically challenged, you misspelled deficient and carat, but thank you for emphasizing the correct spelling of colourful.

Sincerely,
Mr. Kettle
Old 07-12-2010, 20:07   #13

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 20:11   #14

pot and kettle--you are a pair to draw..lol... if your buttons are only 9karat--you BOTH misspelled the word,,LOL.... then you arent worthy --need 14 karat buttons they are prettier........
we NEED tO be colorful---we SAIL!!!!! BESIDES, SOME OF US CANNOT TYPE
yes i speak for self..(duh--cant tell by now--yer blinder than i am..LOL)..
Old 07-12-2010, 20:27   #15

Boat: Catalina 22
While we're quoting William Arthur Ward, this one seems appropriate as well:

Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you.
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote