Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2011, 12:25   #1

Boat: inland kittiwake 24' and inland Pearson 32'
This Is Impossible

Hey everyone its been awhile.
Ok here's the deal. Now I know there are a million similar posts and bear with me on this but here's my problem.
I currently live in the midwest, that being said, I don't have the luxury to sit at the docks shaking hands. I have extensive experience on board all sizes of sailing vessels as well as powered boats, I hold an OD/Wiper MMD, TWIC, and am a NREMT-Intermediate. I'm finding it impossible finding ANY job on board ANY type of boat. Now I know there are a lot of people trying to land jobs on boats, but it seems as though it was easier to find these jobs about ten years ago, that's when I got a job on board a tugboat in New York. I have been all over the internet searching for any boat job, regardless of the amount of pay and all I have gotten back in return are scams, about 10 of them. Does anyone know how someone from the midwest might be able to at the very least obtain a solid contact? If so I would greatly greatly appreciate any and all help. Thank you all again in advance.
Old 14-07-2011, 12:49   #2

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"
Re: This is Impossible

Check the internet for off shore oil rigs using their own ferries to take crews on and off on a rotation basis. Apply directly to that company unless they sub contract the ferry service in which case you can get the name of a contact for the sub.
All the best !
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 13:56   #3

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford sloan View Post
Check the internet for off shore oil rigs using their own ferries to take crews on and off on a rotation basis. Apply directly to that company unless they sub contract the ferry service in which case you can get the name of a contact for the sub.
All the best !
Clif
Good luck with that, currently all coastal drilling is on hold, even though presidential ban is over, very few new leases are being approved.

All the jobs I've heard of are being filled by guys with 20 years of experience that have been collecting unemployment the last 6-9 months
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 14:08   #4

Boat: Hylas 46

Have you tried Marine Log? It's a monthly magazine, but there is also a website, which is probably easier. Check both the Jobs section for available positions, but also the ads for all of the marine companies to solicit.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 14:41   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Good luck with that, currently all coastal drilling is on hold, even though presidential ban is over, very few new leases are being approved.

All the jobs I've heard of are being filled by guys with 20 years of experience that have been collecting unemployment the last 6-9 months
Yup, that is what is up on the Gulf. You can not swing a dead cat down here without hitting someone with a ticket and a TWIC....

I have made a couple deliveries, but only by word of mouth. The paying work I have come across as advertised is (IMHO) not worth the trouble.

Things are tough all over.

I do wish you well, I hope someone else has something more encouraging to offer.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 14:51   #6

Boat: inland kittiwake 24' and inland Pearson 32'
Re: This Is Impossible

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I had contacted a handful of the rig companies and hadn't heard back from any of them, the ban might explain that. Like I said, I know this horse has probably been beat to death, but I'm not sure of any other avenues to go down and I'm sure the placement companies i.e. "crewfinder.com" have been inundated by recent college grads or people trying out a career change seeing as they are the first sites to pop up on search engines. I'm trying to gather some options or the "not-so-much-the-run-of-the-mill" companies from all you folks that eat sleep and breath water and boats.

"Have you tried Marine Log? It's a monthly magazine, but there is also a website, which is probably easier. Check both the Jobs section for available positions, but also the ads for all of the marine companies to solicit. "

I have not come across the "marine log" I will give that a shot.