Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 16:16   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Thieves in the night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
In my area, Procyon lotor, is one of the major nocturnal thieves if one can find a way to get aboard.
You have coons that far north???? When did they start appearing there (I am assuming your location is still "in sight of Alaska".
Old 04-01-2012, 20:25   #17

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

They have spread north from Vancouver since the 1950s, particularly along the coast. They were introduced into Haida Gwaii in the 1940s as a fur bearing animal whose pelts could be exported to Japan. However, the market fell through, but the raccoon population exploded and they can now be found throughout the Charlottes with something of an adverse effect on native bird populations.
Old 04-01-2012, 22:33   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
They have spread north from Vancouver since the 1950s, particularly along the coast. They were introduced into Haida Gwaii in the 1940s as a fur bearing animal whose pelts could be exported to Japan. However, the market fell through, but the raccoon population exploded and they can now be found throughout the Charlottes with something of an adverse effect on native bird populations.
Very interesting. Racoons were unknown in Alberta until they started showing up about 15 years ago, now having made it as far north as the Red Deer river valley. Fish and Wildlife would prefer they were not here, but there is not much that can be done.

Forced introductions of non-native species always has negative consequences, as the indigenous wildlife (and that goes for fish and plants too) is not able to deal with the invasive species.
Old 04-01-2012, 22:52   #19

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Re: Thieves in the Night!

I kept expecting an M. Night Shyamalan ending.
Old 07-01-2012, 17:52   #20

Quote:
In my area, Procyon lotor, is one of the major nocturnal thieves if one can find a way to get aboard.

Astrid:

Indeed! Another reason to keep the hatches secured especially when tied to a dock. This was bought home to me by this little exchange on the VHF. http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2010/...-stowaway.html
Even a high end crewed yacht are not immune from these criminal critters getting on board.
Old 07-01-2012, 19:38   #21

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.

My worst nightmare--Hey lady, we hear yer lookin fur a crew.
Old 07-01-2012, 19:46   #22
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Having seen what happened to a large dog which tangled with two of these critters, I would run from that! A nightmare indeed...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:27   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

How did you get my family Christmas get together pictures?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:13   #24

Boat: hunter 376

Years ago we spent the night aboard in North Vancouver's Deep Cove, and were kept awake all night by racoons screeching and fighting all over the docks and climbing all over the boat. Now it seems otters are becoming the pesky critters, since we are seeing them all over, including downtown vancouver. Between the racoons, otters, and rats, well, we just keep enough openings to provide ventilation. A small bear climbed into an open window in our cabin once...what a mess...
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:43   #25
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
Years ago we spent the night aboard in North Vancouver's Deep Cove, and were kept awake all night by racoons screeching and fighting all over the docks and climbing all over the boat. Now it seems otters are becoming the pesky critters, since we are seeing them all over, including downtown vancouver. Between the racoons, otters, and rats, well, we just keep enough openings to provide ventilation. A small bear climbed into an open window in our cabin once...what a mess...
Otters are a huge problem on our docks. They have an unfortunate habit of crapping on anything touched by a person, ie docklines. They leave a terrible mess on the docks, and one boat had a female give birth to pups in the aft cabin of someone elses boat. Noone could get her to leave, she attacked all who approached. Eventually animal control had to remove her and the pups. A big male moved into my hard dinghy for a while and wouldn't let me approach. I had to get the dog to scare him off. They can be quite large and intimidating...
Old 08-01-2012, 09:49   #26

We don't seem to have a large sea otter population up this way, although there are occasional sightings around the islands. We do have the bears though, but fortunately I haven't had one visit the boat--even a small one can wreak havoc inside a cabin or a boat whilst looking for goodies.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:02   #27

Boat: hunter 376

Actually, the otters here in the Vancouver area are river otters who adapt readily to the ocean. They are often mistaken for sea otters which are much larger and slower than their river cousins. This was pointed out to me by the Vancouver Aquarium.
When I talked of a bear entering our cabin, I meant our cabin in the woods, not the cabin of our boat.
BTW, 2 weeks ago an adult black bear was sighted in the middle of downtown Vancouver... in a garbage truck...they figure he was in a dumpster somewhere in the burbs...got dumped in the truck, then re-appeared downtown.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:19   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
We don't seem to have a large sea otter population up this way, although there are occasional sightings around the islands. We do have the bears though, but fortunately I haven't had one visit the boat--even a small one can wreak havoc inside a cabin or a boat whilst looking for goodies.
It would be river otters at the docks even though it's the ocean. One had a litter of pups under the dock I moored at a couple of years ago. The pups kept wanting to come out and see me and mom would hustle them back under the dock. I nearly stepped on mom one dark night much to both of our consternation. They like to crap in the same spot so if they get on your lines you have to wash them or the pile will just get bigger.

Racoons are wonderfully adaptive creatures. They were originally native to tropical river banks and they just kept pushing north as they figured out new food supplies.

Seagulls are forever bringing things to my boat. Ravens and crows too. Mostly mussels they drop from a height. Ugh.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23   #29
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Seagulls are forever bringing things to my boat. Ravens and crows too. Mostly mussels they drop from a height. Ugh.

Ugh is right. The first thing my kids do on the way down the dock to the schoolbus in the morning is kick all the mussel shells back in the water. Some of the dock dogs have an unfortunate habit of chewing them up and eating them. Sometimes it makes them quite ill. Ugh.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:50   #30

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Just a question. Are seagulls normally nocturnal or is it the lighting in the area that keeps them active?