Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34   #1

Boat: PDQ 36
The People You Meet

The Admiral and I are still in this agonizing boat buying process. Who knows how long this is going to last?

She went off to do something important, so I, as guys tend to do when unsupervised, went into a pub near the marina. I'm a sociable guy so instead of selecting a seat off by myself, I sat down next to a chap at the bar. I introduced myself. I said, "Hey, I'm Joe." He said, "Satan, glad to meet you." He actually stuck out a cloven hoof as I offered my hand to shake, so, I assumed it was the real Satan. He wasn't showing off or anything. A hand came up, quickly changed from hand to hoof and back to hand again. Otherwise he looked like Leonardo DiCaprio. I think he's known to be a shape-changer so I wasn't taken aback by the whole situation. There was a bit of a sulfury smell, so, like some cruisers he may have been in between showers. Of course, he giggled a little when I said I was trying to buy a catamaran. Yep, Satan is a monohull guy. We joked around about that a little. "Don't you know those things flip over....hard to find a parking spot...marinas charge you double..." I said, "Yeah, but if my hull gets holed I'm not going to the bottom of the sea." Of course, he wouldn't care about that. It was fun. We talked about this and that for about an hour and then he had to go. "Duty calls!", he said.

Then I was by myself for a while. I thought about how I was exposing myself on the internet with all these posts. I'm sociable but who wants everybody in their business? Now the CIA, NSA, and YMCA have way more information than I wanted them to have. I swipe my credit card and twenty people in Vienna, Virginia know what I ate for lunch. It is one thing to have a beer with Satan. Quite another to be totally exposed on the internet.

How come Gord hasn't welcomed me aboard? Did I do something wrong? I feel like I've done something wrong. Is he okay?

I have met quite a few Australians. They are everywhere!! I haven't even been out on a boat yet. New Zealanders too! I met a Kiwi(Is that okay to say?) in New Mexico. Totally land-locked. I only had one beer with Satan, so I was sober. There have been very few occasions when I've met Australians or New Zealanders and a party didn't break out. For me, that is not a bad thing. The one from New Mexico occurred while the World Cricket Championship was going on. Holy begonia! Even his wife ran away when he started teaching me about cricket. Yes, I was drunk by the time this party ended. I was simply incredulous about how a single inning could last days (sorry, if the facts are kind of woozy) Americans complain that baseball takes too long. "Threes hours, OMG!" "3 and a half hours, no way""Four hours, you might as well just stick a fork in my eye!!" That is our National Pastime!! This gentleman was absolutely enthralled about how long the single game could take. I was amazed.

Time to take a break.
NautiBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:05   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: The People You Meet

Saten is everywhere! The prince of darkness! The greatest deceiver! "Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of the enemy are deceitful".

People are basically the same all over the world. It's just some are brought up in a hatred society and/or with no value of human life.

And yes, modern life is intrusive into privacy that's where cash comes into play. But credit cards are necessary if you want to reserve or rent.

What gets me are the grocery store, and others, that want you to have a membership card. All they are doing is tracking your life style and how much you spend.

And this is why a lot of us become cruisers. And I won't speak for Gord but Welcome aboard! He'll show up eventually. He's probably doing research on another thread.

I no nothing of sports unless one considers diving a sport.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The People You Meet

Welcome to CF...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27   #4

Boat: OEM, proportional

G'day Nautibits. Where's the beer?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:33   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

welcome.....have fun
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Cricket was invented simply to annoy the Americans!

5 days for a test (internationals) - and sometimes after day 3 you know it will end in a draw......or that the Series was lost before you start the game. and sometimes the Series is an even number of games!.........."play up, play up and play the game".

Anyway, welcome to CF!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Cricket was invented simply to annoy the Americans!

I thought that was Golf damn Scotts or is it Scutts?
Robin williams explains it pretty good, I laughed so hard I cried. Oh By the WAy , Welcome to this place, prepare for the mono sailors to try to convert you, btw did you make an offer on the 32 yet?

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiBits View Post
Of course, he giggled a little when I said I was trying to buy a catamaran. Yep, Satan is a monohull guy.

It is one thing to have a beer with Satan. Quite another to be totally exposed on the internet.
You made two serious mistakes!!!

1 - You disagreed with Satan (unusual that he was trying to help you)

2 - You didn't pay for his beer!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02   #9

Hi guys!

I admit I am getting a bit paranoid now though. I know I'm not Satan and I'm pretty certain the Admiral isn't either. But, who knows about everybody else? After spending an hour with him(her?) though, I'm thinking this whole 'deceiver' bit may be a tad overblown. I know it makes great theater though. In America, we have this whole 'Freedom of Religion' thing going on. Which, truth be told, can also be thought of as 'Freedom from Religion'. Thankfully, the mods here have not found it necessary to develop an infringement of inalienable rights clause to cover this topic(yet). I know most of you have met or actually worked with a boat broker at some time in your life. I felt way more comfortable chatting it up with the great Satan than I have speaking with some brokers. No, I haven't met every broker yet. I guess I'm working on it. I understand they have a job to do and a family to feed, just like the rest of us. "Professionally maintained and constantly upgraded..." I'm going to translate that automatically to "May have a few leaks, but still floats!" if the boat is currently in the water. If on the hard, I'll omit the "..still floats" part.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:10   #10

Don't be so hasty....air is considered a fluid.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16   #11

Micah, I know it says you're in Germany, but I have to ask if you're Australian before I tell you where my beer is

Zee, Chester heard about how much fun Bubba is having, but was not impressed. You know how cats are.

DOJ, YES!! I remember that craziness now. In America, a tie is a good as a loss. That is why so many of us still do not understand soccer, futbol, Fußball, or whatever you call it. We're all about whining here. I mean winning. Dang spelchek!

DulceSuenos, yes and now haggling.

DonL, he already had his beer. He nursed it for an hour, like a Brit. Next time I meet him I will buy him one. I need all the help I can get.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

you have lots to learn about boat ads I see, I'll help you with a few meanings:

new = wasn't orginally on the boat
rebuilt engine = somewhere in the past had new oil and maybe a filter
knowledgable owner = knows it is time to get rid of it
recent bottom job = had to paint over the bisters
extra sails = you are going to need backups
never chartered = only abused by owner
Old 01-03-2013, 11:29   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sneak a fresh caught fishie into chesters dish...you may need to sashimi some and lightly cook some...dont know which way your cat.....bubba wouldnt have wanted to go with me had he known in advance there would be no fancy feast most of the time, and ..

but he can chase many different species of birdeees.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:31   #14

Yep.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:39   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
you have lots to learn about boat ads I see, I'll help you with a few meanings:

new = wasn't orginally on the boat
rebuilt engine = somewhere in the past had new oil and maybe a filter
knowledgable owner = knows it is time to get rid of it
recent bottom job = had to paint over the bisters
extra sails = you are going to need backups
never chartered = only abused by owner
has previously circumnavigated = needs a major refit
good starter boat = only the clueless would buy this
state room = lined locker
owners state room = large lined locker
little used = abandoned
keen vendor, as upgrading = bank about to foreclose on house
new price = been for sale for a year, price approaching reality
needs some TLC = do you have 5 years of your life to spare?
contact us for more details = I was too lazy to include all the info you will need in the advert, 3 guesses how the sale will go .
recent upgrades = owner vaguely remembers
Much loved = no money spent
thousands spent = could never fix it
needs only xxx to be fixed = owner finally lost the will to live / go divorced / shot self.
classic = old
ideal liveaboard = not seaworthy
Genuine Reason for Sale = ROTFLMAO!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote