Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2015, 13:41   #781
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: The Mallorca Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Weavis, seeing that apparently Atoll has you leaning to go over to the dark side (cats), I just came across this addition in our classified that might fit the bill for you. Apparently they have crossed oceans, AND they can do the French canals.

Would give you two options to get to the Med.

Oh, and it is affordable.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-154531.html
LOL... I actually bought one last year. It was in my possession for exactly 2 weeks and a friend begged to buy it from me. I Paid £4K for it. Nice but way too small in the interior. The Diamond 24 has far more room.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 14:29   #782
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Weaviseseses new submarine
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 14:34   #783
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 13-10-2015, 15:00   #784

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We won't be getting a Catamaran. The weather here in Corsica and Sardinia is changing, so this is why the season has concluded. Last week we spent two days in force 8 conditions while sailing down the coast of Corsica and an entire day in Force 9.5 (40-50 knots) continuous heading through the Bonifacio straight and down to eastern Sardinia. Honestly, there's no boat I'd would have rather been on than our Oyster. I'll post some video of the storm just as soon as I get it edited.

Here's a picture of our Chartplotter screen showing our entrance into Olbia last Friday. Not fun, but we did it.... Just the two of us. Sailed in and docked the boat without an engine. To the naysayers.... Yes, two 58 year olds can safely sail a 54ft boat in without any power in 35 knot winds.
That looks like WORK!
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 15:06   #785
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
That looks like WORK!
My wife was brilliant during the entire weather event; with her continuous help, she made everything seem easy. I'm working on the video.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 16:02   #786

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
My wife was brilliant during the entire weather event; with her continuous help, she made everything seem easy. I'm working on the video.
It'd be great fun to see a vid of your docking maneuver under sail, Ken. I think I would have checked engine oil, coolant & belts, and then wimped out by turning the engine on at the last minute as the dock approached! Don't you love it when people who have never had to encounter that situation tell you what THEY woulda done??! Seriously though, I am impressed, and it's always confidence inspiring to hear from other big boat owners what is often derided but is in fact doable (in experienced hands).
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 16:52   #787
cruiser

I've needed to dock the boat without an engine on a windy day several times, it really isn't very difficult. Furl in the main prior to the approach, then sail in with the jib only out 20-30%. Limit boat speed to just what you need in order to maneuver, then furl in the jib or release it 100-150ft from the dock and coast it using momentum. Have a large loop of rope ready midship tied to a cleat, then drop it over the target cleat on the dock as you drift towards it. One time I had a fender explode from the sudden pressure caused the wind force directly broadside and another time, a fender rope tore in half from coming in a little too quickly, but neither time was any damage caused to the boat other than a smudge that was easily rubbed out.

Another way to stop the boat, is to come about up into the wind, use momentum, then allow the wind to push the boat up to the dock. We don't just wing it, I go over what we're going to do ahead of time, which works great with my wife....not so good with the drunken idiot last year who wouldn't listen or follow the plan.

A few years ago in Long Beach, CA, we used to sail our Hunter 450 into the marina, down the row of boats and right into the slip on just the high freeboard alone. No sails at all.
Old 13-10-2015, 17:08   #788

Probably easier to pull off solo than with the type of incompetent/disabled crew you describe. Your wife sounds like she's a champ about it all. Depending on wind direction, getting that spring line onto the dock cleat or piling is likely mission critical. Nice little skill-set to have in your arsenal whether you find yourself in the same situation again or not.

One thing I've noticed in the plus column for the bigger/heavier boats is that things happen more slowly, and when s**t happens it is usually more forgiving to correct. I suspect your fin keel makes maneuvering a bit easier in close quarters than my modified full keel. My prop-walk in reverse is downright viscious, but at least it's predictable. I've learned to manage it, but it hasn't always been pretty.

We best get back to the good doctor's catamarans & that pesky monkey guy . . . or else . . . .
Old 13-10-2015, 17:15   #789
cruiser

The only issue with a larger, heavier boat, is you only get one chance. You can't bail out and try docking again like when you have a working engine. You need to get it right the first time, or get out the rubbing compound.

And when things don't go right... there's a lot of momentum to make things go crunch. So, I'd say less forgiving... and don't even try putting your hand/arm out to grab something or try to stop the boat.
Old 13-10-2015, 17:39   #790
cruiser

one word

Bowthrusters

unless you're on the Merrimack.
Old 13-10-2015, 18:00   #791

Yes, I would agree it's less forgiving when it comes to docking and you're already committed, but it seems I have more time than I expect when wind & current might otherwise have a smaller or lighter boat already in trouble. In fact, I often find it easier to back into a slip and am usually surprised how much time I have to make the necessary maneuvers. And yes, I always let crew know -- especially newbies -- to use the roving fender vs. trying to "fend off" with their own body strength. Inexperienced crew often don't realize how dangerous & futile that can be on a heavier boat.

Nope, no bow thrusters on my boat Monkey, for better or worse. Despite having poor steerage in reverse, I have excellent control over the bow in fwd for whatever reason. Docking was intimidating at first, of course, but now with experience it has become quite manageable. You develop & learn to deploy little tricks that are often unique to your own boat, and oddly enough it's often easier singlehanded because you have to think everything through so carefully ahead of time. Thus far this is all under engine power mind you. Haven't yet mustered the courage, nor found the need, to pull a 'Kenomac' & attempt it under sail. It's probably easier than it seems as Ken suggests. I suppose with time . . . .
Old 14-10-2015, 02:40   #792
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Went down to the Centaur today. Some family members moved up here a few months ago and I waved goodbye to it sadly.

Well now Im here, and #3 nephew is not a winter sailor.......

Its on the Hard. Went inside, a light clean and rubdown here and there, put on the stove for heat and made coffee. Snuggely on a cold morning.

Took spinnaker outside and opened it to warm in the rising sun and turned it over to be sure was dry. Raised sails to dry them and then carefully repacked them. The slight breeze helped.

Sprayed shackles and turnbuckles with WD40 and wiped carefully, just wanted a sheen of protection on them.

Laid out chain on anchor and checked each link. Retied the rode.

Checked engine fluid and visual check of belts etc.

Checked electronics.

Checked seacocks, moved them each and reset to closed.

Checked keel, checked rudder and mountings, checked prop and shaft. Checked anodes.

Checked all working lines and replaced one. Tomorrow I will examine the mast and rigging.

Just woke after a 30 minute nap. It does not get any better than a warm sleeping bag on a berth.
Old 14-10-2015, 06:12   #793
cruiser

Come on Weavis.

Quit knapppping. Lets go for a hike on the moors and catch us a pony. That should cheer us up.
Old 14-10-2015, 07:51   #794
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Come on Weavis.

Quit knapppping. Lets go for a hike on the moors and catch us a pony. That should cheer us up.
Pony and fries.
I want onions with mine....
Old 14-10-2015, 23:55   #795
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Been checking out the mast and rigging from 6am. Got 2 spotlights and binoculars. Everything seems fine. New rigging 5 years ago. No signs of corrosion or rust~ all connections deckside look good.Tracks for sail are new.

Well what can I do now?