Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2009, 21:24   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Littlest Bum Is Here!

Some of the members here may recall http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...way-28332.html from last July. At that time, Ali and Pat Schulte were expecting their first child around New Year's, but, well, you know how these things can go . . .

Sunday morning, December 13, 2009, Ouest Lill Schulte was delivered via Caesarean section into this world, weighing in at 7 pounds 1 ounce, and measuring 20 inches. To see a close-up of The Littlest Bum, go to:

bumfuzzle | home

This lucky little angel has no idea of the world of adventure that awaits her as the child of this pair of intrepid travelers!

TaoJones
Old 15-12-2009, 21:55   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I quit following their escapades after the sail rip off...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 22:02   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wow, you've missed quite a lot then, Scott.

TaoJones

PS: Sail rip off?
Old 15-12-2009, 22:08   #4

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
They have continued to go on adventures and live adventures. They are currently in Puerto Vallarta Mexico, embarking on one of the biggest adventures one can ever have, children!
Spencer
Old 16-12-2009, 00:13   #5

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Congratulations to the lucky parents. Wonderful blog too.
Old 16-12-2009, 00:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Wow, you've missed quite a lot then, Scott.

TaoJones

PS: Sail rip off?
Ya ..the french guy in the Islands that overcharged them for sail repair that they then skipped out on...and then bragged about....something like 9k worth IIRC

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 16-12-2009, 03:20   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Scott,

I think you have the Bumfuzzles mixed up with the Freebirds couple. They're the one that stiffed the French guy in Grenada.
Old 16-12-2009, 03:49   #8

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
Small correction. Pat and Ali's baby's name is spelled Ouest (French for West and pronounced the same way). My husband has been a faithful follower. I have enjoyed their web site as well. I guess the thing I admire the most about this couple is at a very early age they readjusted their priorities. I am decades older and I am just now figuring out what Pat and Ali did in their early what thirties?
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 09:05   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Yawl Later View Post
Small correction. Pat and Ali's baby's name is spelled Ouest (French for West and pronounced the same way). My husband has been a faithful follower. I have enjoyed their web site as well. I guess the thing I admire the most about this couple is at a very early age they readjusted their priorities. I am decades older and I am just now figuring out what Pat and Ali did in their early what thirties?
Sea Yawl Later, thank you for the spelling correction on the Baby Bum's name. I've gone back and edited it appropriately. Ali and Pat Schulte were in their mid- to late-twenties, actually, when they began their circumnavigation. They're bold and fearless and absolutely dedicated to one another - all of which helps when you choose to lead an adventurous life.

Scott, Hud has it exactly right - Pat and Ali had completed their almost-four-year circumnavigation before the Freebirds couple set out. The Freebirds site was back up and functioning last time I checked, but that was a few months ago. I doubt they'll ever live down their decision to just sail away without paying the person who had performed some work for them down in the islands, even though they claim they subsequently paid him. (To read about what they did, go to the link Hud provided, above, click on Our Adventures, then October, November 2007. Scroll down to November 2007 and begin reading there.)

TaoJones
Old 16-12-2009, 09:27   #10

Boat: Cascade
Quite an interesting couple..
Old 16-12-2009, 13:34   #11

My Apologies to all...You are most correct...How did I manage that all this time...

I guess I have never then actually followed the Bumfuzzels..I will have to take a look.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 16-12-2009, 14:59   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No worries, Scott. Pat and Ali's website is bumfuzzle | home. If you click on "boat" in the menu line at the top it will take you to a page that gives a brief summation of their decision to just go for it - to buy a sailboat and sail around the world. At the bottom of that page you'll see some sub-categories that break out the various aspects of their adventure. "From the beginning" will, obviously, take one to the top of their logs, allowing the reader to accompany them on their voyage.

It's really interesting, I think, to read something like this and watch the writer change over time. In the case of the Bumfuzzle Bums, you can witness the evolution of a couple of determined ~28 year-olds as they go from naive dreamers to seasoned circumnavigators.

They never pretended to love sailing, and they acknowledge that they never really got very good at it, but for them the boat was just a means to an end - their magic carpet to take them places, slowly but somewhat economically. How economically? Well, they even break down their costs from initial fitting-out to a precise tally of costs on a monthly basis over the almost-four-years of their circumnavigation.

Warning: It's addictive reading. Enjoy!

TaoJones
Old 16-12-2009, 15:03   #13

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I wonder what the comparative cost of a four year journey round the world by other transport plus accomodation on land but near the coast would cost compared to the cost of purchase and running a boat is.

I bet the boat wins every time, plus, no amount of flying and seaside hotels could match the experience
Old 16-12-2009, 15:18   #14

Thanks Tao...you perked my intrest.....just what I need though..more screen time...

Old 18-12-2009, 13:19   #15

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
I agree about the Bumfuzzle blog. I followed them from the beginning of the Circumnavigation. I enjoyed how Pat developed as a writer, he was always a good read. The most fun part was how he underplayed his hand like a big dog. It's hillarious how "real yachtmen" believed he didn't know what he was doing..lol I figured him out pretty quick.... He does his homework and he is extremely competent, but mostly he expects to succeed so he does.... People usually get about what they expect, Pat met the world with innocence and smile so the world smiled back at him.

My favorite thing on their blog is when Pat was cleaning his winch, and found out it was two speed. He had been raising the sail 1:1 for months. I think they were thru the Panama Canal before he learned he had a 2 speed winch. Most would never tell that... but Pat used it for bait to hook all the serious Yachties into worry and tither about this young lad who was surely about to die. This poor misguided couple were certainly not made of the "stuff" it takes... no stiff upper lips, no sextant and tables on board... WHAT.. who do they think they are... leaving on this quest that only masters of the sea can ever hope to accomplish...lol Pat and Ali just went out and did it. They expected the best and got it.

I must compliment the contributers to this forum. I worried alot about exposing Linda to a group of people we might not enjoy, but that has turned out to be the best part... We have some very good friends that are fellow sailors and mean to know more. This forum consists of some of the most articulate and plesant people I have ever been assiciated with as a group. I was teling Linda this week how pleased I was to find such a crusier network, we were going on this adventure anyway.. but now the chance to meet some of you guys is certainly icing on the cake.

See you in the Exumas...
SV "Sea Yawl Later !!"
Rusty Sitton
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote