Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 22:25   #61

Boat: csy 37
Re: The Knife Thread

gerber multi-tool. the original, probably 20 years old. i keep thinking of getting a new multi-tool but the new ones appear to be poorly made compared to my old gerber, so i think i'll just hang on to this one. always on my belt, whether sailing, working on the boat, at home depot, weddings, funerals.....

out sailing i also carry a folding knife - a gerber chameleon. no longer made, although there is a newer but not as well made version here -

Gerber Remix Serrated Edge 22-01969 - gerberknives.co

i like it because i put my index finger in the large hole which prevents my hand from sliding forward over the blade.

i only had one knife wielding experience. coming in to allans cay in the exumas i decided to drop sail and run in on the engine due to some sharp turns i would have to make to get in to the anchorage. but between the admiral and myself there was a missed signal ('go to neutral!') and a dropped jib sheet, which quickly wrapped itself around the prop. i went forward, put the anchor down, then grabbed the first knife handy, and dove over the side. a couple of quick swipes of the super sharp blade and i was able to free the line. back up the ladder, anchor up, and back on course.

and the first handy knife i grabbed? it was a 98 cent pocket knife i bought at walmart....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 23:51   #62

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Had a Captain Currie English boat knife for a few years and it's handy. But a little while back I bought a small Opinel made in France for $20 and carry it all the time because it's light. Easy to keep an edge on too.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 23:59   #63

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I had a SOG multitool 20 years. Did not carry it everyday, but it was around for projects. Left it on a boat I sold. The phone never rang. Karma is a birch, hope the guy is ok.

Purchased another, this time with power assist blades. The pliers are easier on your hands.

Is the steel a little thinner? It might be, but who cares if all I am going to do is give them away anyway?! Lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	71rZMslAcaL._SY300_.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	56430

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001DZ...ls_o07_s00_i00
Old 08-03-2013, 02:27   #64

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

Boye sheepfoot. ok it was expensive, but a birthday present to myself . it really is the sharpest knife I have ever had and gives a very clean cut on synthetic line. The serrations do not seem to catch and pull on the threads as some other serrated knives I have tried.

Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:28   #65

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

ps my Leatherman Wave is what I use most of the time out an about......
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:43   #66
cruiser

Well, I don't see how I'd strip wire or crimp anything with those... anyone have other information?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:55   #67
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Well, I don't see how I'd strip wire or crimp anything with those... anyone have other information?

Crimping should be done with a dedicated ratcheting crimper, and if you can't strip wire with a pocket knife you are in trouble.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:11   #68
cruiser

I ran a construction company for twenty five years. (More or less, depending on how you count.)

Electricity is a powerful magic controlled by wizards known as "electricians".

If one is not careful, it will jump out of its lair (called a "panel") and smite your ass. Then you'll need to take a dump and get a cup of coffee, in that order. Even after that, you'll be really, really sorry that it happened.

It only strikes when it's certain the range is correct. It gives no warning. It will lay in waiting for years, or even decades, and then strike in the dead of night, lighting fires and leaving behind its signature scorch mark. Then its victims will stare at the scorch mark, the only sign of its passing, stare at each other, and whisper "we need an electrician."

It travels through your house in wires known as conductors, silently, invisibly, always there except during magical uproars called "blackouts". (Folks use the cry "the power's off! The power's off!" to mark the start of a "blackout".)

While largely domesticated, never forget that electricity is inherently feral, and is held in check only by the voodoo practiced by electricians.

In all that time, I've never been able to strip wires with knives without damaging the conductors. I guess I'll have to live with the shame.

You don't know what the notches are for or how to use them?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:29   #69
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Okay, I'll try to upload a picture of my knife. It's a Myrchin. Very nicely built, seems solid even relative to knives like Buck. If you like Buck Hunters, you'll love this knife.

So far, I like it, but I'm never certain I have serrated blades as sharp as I can get them. It has a whale on it, which is nice, and I can open both blades and roar around insisting people call me "Warf".

I have one question: what are the little square notches in the second picture for?
Always loved Buck (first love and all that)

As for the notches, try an email to Myerchin being as you are not getting much help here .

I would be keen to know also!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:36   #70
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
You don't know what the notches are for or how to use them?
Fishing line...
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 18:35   #71
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The small notches are for added grip in the finger choil. You can brace your finger or thumb their for added leverage. The notches provide grip.
Old 08-03-2013, 18:49   #72
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
This picture was taken for the awning but check outwhat is attached to the boom. Every boat should have that imho. It is a simple diving knife in a locking sheath. We have two masts so two of these.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 19:40   #73
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Something similar to my old layout, but I had two fishing knives with glow in the dark handles. And I sawed off the tips.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 20:10   #74
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Something similar to my old layout, but I had two fishing knives with glow in the dark handles. And I sawed off the tips.
Yes, these are the blunt knifes without point that can double as screwdriver

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 20:16   #75
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

Smart, commercial fishing knives are awesome. Only cost a few bucks each, and they are razor sharp and durable. I get mine from Seamar, good source for excellent commercial grade fillet knives as well as deck knives, vastly more bang for the buck than anything else.

Seamar Catalog - Knives