I need to vent and cannot afford a shrink. Had been at this marina owned by a Town, which shall remain nameless for now, for eight years. Fees
went up every year, boaters' rights went down.
We used to have a shack as a clubhouse where we could gather, watch TV, cook or play cards. Then they built a beautiful structure instead. It has a well equipped kitchen, but the marina (government) employees use it as a lunch area and we have no access. It has a large party room, but when it is not rented to outsiders for weddings and such is under lock and key. There is something loud going on almost every weekend till midnight. We've seen party goers, well, "going" from our docks into the water
as we walked by. Walking through broken glass, cigarette butts and puke is now the norm.
We had boaters going away for a few days and when they returned they found transients in their reserved spots. The transients were not moved, and the rightful tenants were forced to move instead from slip to slip until the transients decided to take off. No reimbursements, of course.
The marina hired more people. The washrooms are dirty and broken.
The access gates broke open last winter. It took about six weeks until they were fixed, and in the meantime some boaters that had their masts down lost
stuff from them.
Two weeks ago we got an email
informing us that the water
dropped to 5 1/2 feet in places on way to ramp
, so we are urged to haul out
early. We paid summer dockage and hydro through end of October, but there will be no reimbursements for an early haul out
. The memo said they will not dredge until AFTER all boats are out. It's nice to know, but the spring thaw will bring the dirt back just in time for next year's launch.
So I scheduled to haul out this week. Two days before haul out, out of the blue, I am contacted by the marina manager who asked that either I take the mast
down or I get a cradle
. I have my own seven extra strong stands, which I used for the past eight years, chained together. I always kept my mast
up. I have full insurance
with 2 MIL liability. My insurance
knows how I store my boat and is actually very happy with that.
I told the marina manager that two days notice is morally and probably legally wrong and asked what will happen if I do not agree with these conditions. Was told that they will NOT haul me out.
Any comments or advice as to how can a boater fight back, what laws are out there to protect us and, if all fails, a good marina or yacht club in or around Toronto?
Of course, feel free to post your own experiences.