Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2010, 22:09   #76
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
This is a great thread and I hope it dissuades a lot of dreamers from getting a boat and then start complaining about the drawbacks....

For those constantly drunk on the dream of a high seas adventure, but need a kind of confirmation therapy to bring back some reality….. I suggest you join the “AA”, which in this case stands for:Attitude and Adaptability”

For those who need to make lists in order to account for their actions, make 2 Lists:
1/…Downsides of the Cruising Life
2/…Downsides of the Shore Life
I am sure you might find some of the items on each list…interchangeable.

The point I am making is that whether you live in a Palace or a 3rd World hovel, Super yacht or a budget clunker… having the right Attitude and Adaptability to make the most of what you have and find happiness within, has little to do with the size of you storage locker.

For inside that locker… all you tend to keep are… recreational complaints.

Your real life needs no comparison or judgment by others…. just a desire to recognize you own comfort zone and not your neighbors.

Be Happy!....
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 10:05   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
It might be for you but not for me. By traveling you mean seeing other countries, sights, cultures etc. Did that many years ago. For me cruising is sailing, living in my little floating home, and warm weather. Frankly if you want to "travel" fly to where you want and then rent a RV. A few of my cruising friends are doing that in NZ right now. A lot easier than sailing there.
I think for most of us it's a bit of both. Bit of hard work-time alone-introspection as you're crossing an ocean, then sightseeing-culture-tourism once you arrive somewhere.
Besides, I checked Expedia on the side...for me, two weeks RVing in New Zealand is going to be a major expense. $2100 just for the plane, add in RV rental, food, gas, normal tourist costs (admissions, souvenirs) -- take those kind of numbers over to the "Cruising $500/month" thread, and they'll blow a gasket!
Plus, despite all that money, on the plane I don't get to see any of the interesting things that are between here and there.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 10:48   #78
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
being hit in the face by flying fish beats the dickens out of a bag of pretzels on an airplane any day......also better than any movie ...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 10:52   #79

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
. . . For those constantly drunk on the dream of a high seas adventure, but need a kind of confirmation therapy to bring back some reality….. I suggest you join the “AA”, which in this case stands for:Attitude and Adaptability”

For those who need to make lists in order to account for their actions, make 2 Lists:
1/…Downsides of the Cruising Life
2/…Downsides of the Shore Life . . .
I really like the "AA" reference - short and very apt. And as to the 2 lists I am sure that I would have no difficulty filling an entire page with "downsides of the cruising life" - single spaced.
However, doing the same thing for the "downsides of shore life" would require at least a whole ream of paper, single spaced, double sided.
- - In reality, going into a new endeavor with a realization that not everything in the cruising life-style is pure joy and delight will go a long way to preventing early termination of the "experiment" at the first or second "nasty" occurrence. It is a life-style, -on average- that can be superior to life on land for people who are attuned to cruising with its emphasis on self-reliance and ingenuity. Not everybody (IMHO, damn few) can live a life where they are responsible for everything they do and the consequences. Out on the oceans you live or die depending upon your own decisions and preparations - there is no pulling over to the side and calling Triple-A for help.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 11:01   #80
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I really like the "AA" reference - short and very apt. And as to the 2 lists I am sure that I would have no difficulty filling an entire page with "downsides of the cruising life" - single spaced.
However, doing the same thing for the "downsides of shore life" would require at least a whole ream of paper, single spaced, double sided.
- - In reality, going into a new endeavor with a realization that not everything in the cruising life-style is pure joy and delight will go a long way to preventing early termination of the "experiment" at the first or second "nasty" occurrence. It is a life-style, -on average- that can be superior to life on land for people who are attuned to cruising with its emphasis on self-reliance and ingenuity. Not everybody (IMHO, damn few) can live a life where they are responsible for everything they do and the consequences. Out on the oceans you live or die depending upon your own decisions and preparations - there is no pulling over to the side and calling Triple-A for help.

exactly
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 11:10   #81

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
being hit in the face by flying fish beats the dickens out of a bag of pretzels on an airplane any day......also better than any movie ...
Flying Fish can be nasty with their sharp wings. One night out in the Atlantic Ocean I thought somebody was shooting at my boat as there where continuously pings and bangs as a school of flying fish tried to fly over me. Some did not make it to a high enough altitude to clear and the impacts were loud. One even managed to fly through the cockpit pilothouse door, down the companionway hatch to the galley. My two cats (big kittens at the time) could not figure out what this thing was . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020903WhatsaFishingFish2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	17356   Click image for larger version

Name:	020903WhatsaFishingFish3.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	17357  

osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:55   #82

(1st post, been lurking awhile)

I don't have a boat, pretty much a dreamer, not sure if I ever will have one bigger than needed for recreational fishing/diving for several reasons.

As a non-boat-owner, I'm surprised to see that what I would have considered one of the biggest barriers to BEGIN a life on the water, is not not one of the reasons mentioned that moves people to land. I don't see "ran out of money", or any variation of that, mentioned anywhere.
oakback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:10   #83

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakback View Post
(1st post, been lurking awhile)

I don't have a boat, pretty much a dreamer, not sure if I ever will have one bigger than needed for recreational fishing/diving for several reasons.

As a non-boat-owner, I'm surprised to see that what I would have considered one of the biggest barriers to BEGIN a life on the water, is not not one of the reasons mentioned that moves people to land. I don't see "ran out of money", or any variation of that, mentioned anywhere.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-up-14778.html
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:19   #84

Oops, time to go back to lurking.
oakback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:53   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
As far as quitting goes, you'll know I am done, when you find my boat sailing around with out me aboard. I'll leave the title on the galley table with my signature on the transfer so someone else can continue on where I have left off.

Just give me a shout when your ready
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 13:34   #86
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
Just give me a shout when your ready
Or just a location
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 13:53   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Or just a location
Better idea: PM me lol
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote