Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2010, 15:40   #46

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i truly didnt realize there WAS a downside to cruising-----i have read this thread and i still donot know what the down side to cruising could possibly be.......
Waking up next to w1651???
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 15:46   #47

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Waking up next to w1651???
Really cruel! But you may have a point.
Old 25-06-2010, 15:53   #48

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i truly didnt realize there WAS a downside to cruising-----i have read this thread and i still donot know what the down side to cruising could possibly be.......
I think that the downside has more to do with incompatible defintions of cruising. If one partner wants to go do long ocean passages and the other wants to do Marina to marina crusies there is a problem.

Keeping the boat working with all of the different systems is a problem too.

Comfort -- I remember in my twenties racing sailboats in the ocean and sleeping on top of sails because there were no more berths on the high side of the boat. I don't think I would do that any more. I like my comfy berth.

Zeehag you have the advantage since there are more men who like the dream then women.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 15:54   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
since i wake up in my own boat, same place i go to sleep , i believe that isnt going to be an issue--i donot do marinas so that is not a problem--i could well be safe from that ... whatever fate..(as re--waking next to 1651 whatever--lol-)----

my boat is comfy---cozy with the teak and oil lamps and character ..... i am looking forward to sailing her...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 16:04   #50

Ahhh... the dreamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I'll read Hawthorn, Poe, Thurough, and Melville. I'll see the stars no one else sees like the southern cross at night and shake Moby Dicks Flipper if I want to. (He's still alive you know)
1) I'll read Hawthorn, Poe, Thurough, and Melville... I doubt it. They'll be way too dry for your own scriber's talent.

2) I'll see the stars no one else sees like the southern cross at night... I don't want to burst your bubble, but we look at it every night.

3) (He's still alive you know)... Not if the Japs keep going the way they are.

Hey if your sailing's half as good as your writing you'll have a good time... just let us know your boat's name when you get it... so those of us who love the serenity can anchor at least a couple of bays away
Old 25-06-2010, 16:06   #51

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Down side to cruising - my two cents:
its a love - hate relationship all the way.
You will love your boat because you will spend so much time redoing and maintaining it.
You will hate your boat because you will spend so much time redoing and maintaining it.

I go with Mark on the boredom. Another deserted anchorage and than another and another... In the beginning it will all look so new and exciting. after a while you will start to consider if you have the willpower to get the dinghy and go ashore or just stay on the boat and read a book while you wait for the weather to clear.

Each village will look the same, but the food is always new and the best you ever had.

I will add loneliness, you will have no one to talk too, if you are cruising with a life partner or a crew, after 4 or 5 months you will hear all their stories and know them by heart. you will learn to love the loneliness.

The graveyard watch -
you will sit in 4 in the morning in the cockpit sleep deprived, in pitch black, you will not be able to see 3 ft in front apart from a dim green light to the right of the boat and red to port, you will not be able to read a book or do anything involving light because you will loose your night vision, and that is in good weather.
To the graveyard watch in bad weather will add to all of the above, being soaking wet and shivering from cold.
You will learn to love the graveyard watch because of the amazing sunrises and the little things like finding the BBC radio playing that favorite song you haven't heard for years. looking at the clear sky full of stars like you never seen before. You will relish every cup of coffee.

You will be on your tows and wakeup from every little noise and know them all, always in stress that something might be wrong with the boat. you will love the sound of the water on your hull while sailing in 6 knots and above, and the halyards banging the masts at anchorage saying the wind is picking up.

You will hate water tanks, they are never full enough, and you will count every drop hoping it will last till the next place where the water are cheep or free. You will always think there is a leak in one of them, or that the pressure pump is not working well, or that the water are not clean. You will enjoy every hot long shower like you have never before, shaving will be a delight. A clean shirt will make your day.

If you are going at it with a soul mate or friends, you will know them inwards out, you will know every story they ever had or told, after a while you will start looking for topics to talk about because you all ready talked about everything, and you had never spent so much time together before. You will love them because they will share the most intense moments of your life.
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 16:23   #52

Introductions dreamer/reality

w1651, I'd like you to meet my wise old friend, DannySt.

DannySt, I'd like you to meet my new best friend, w1651...
Old 25-06-2010, 16:33   #53

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
w1651, I'd like you to meet my wise old friend, DannySt.

DannySt, I'd like you to meet my new best friend, w1651...

Sorry, its getting late here.
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 16:33   #54

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
I'll read Hawthorn, Poe, Thurough, and Melville. I'll see the stars no one else sees like the southern cross at night and shake Moby Dicks Flipper if I want to. (He's still alive you know)
And don't forget to talk to the mermaids. They're real you know.
Old 25-06-2010, 18:54   #55

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
There, I fixed it for you.

Teee Heee so simple Thanks

The more I think about it who you are waking up next to is probably one of the most important things to have right in this gamble!
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 21:56   #56
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
X1651, Yours is a wonderful post!

You are gong to bound into it and have fun! But let me point out a few home truths and then at the bottom give you a suggestion or 2

Quote:
walking the islands I go to and seeing the highest point of each. I will bring a tank,mask,fins, and regulator to dive the reefs or just to see what's down there.

You won't scuba dive in Turkey, its illegal.
The higest point on 1,000 islands without being able to differentiate between any (see below)
Coral all looks the same (see below)

Quote:
Hmmmm maybe get some dinner while Im there too.

No you won't its illegal to spear fish in many parts, or even fish off the boat in a lot of areas.

Quote:
I'll read Hawthorn, Poe, Thurough, and Melville.
Take Cosmo, Cleo, Womans Weekly and all the girly celeb mags or your Missus will bebunk. They are good fun to read too!

Quote:
I'm gonna hop skip and jump across the world at a whim
No you won't. You'll be dictated to by the hurricane seasons, the weather and your visas.

Quote:
. Freedom is my ultimate goal. Forget the job and the government and the electric bill from now on.

Your Government might suck but you will find NONE as good as the one you grew up with. The Government here has banned YouTube, Google Earth and Google Translate. Plus they will hit you for fees that make bills at home look fun. And yes, you pay for electricity and water

Oh, by the way, SCUBA diving is banned in Turkey unless you are on a tourist dive boat as they are worried you will steal antiquities.

OK now lets look at some of those points and see how you can do them and not get bored.
Your profile says you haven’t got a boat yet. This is good as it means you still have time!

* The sailing will be more fun if you have done a mechanics course

*"walking the islands" do some sort of biology course, or horticulture or some sort of course so you can identify more plants and animals and can notice the differences in each island across the world

*Photography course so you can put really great photos on your website (web designers course)

*"mask,fins, and regulator to dive the reefs or just to see what's down there" marine bilogy course of some sort so you can *really* see whats down there. Did I ever tell you about the Sea Cucumber and the Perl fish? The Sea Cucumber breaths through its ass. The Perl Fish waits for the Sea Cucumber to breath (the Sea Cucumber sees this and tries to hold its breath) and when it opens its ass to take a breath the Pearl fish swims up fast and lives in the sea cucumbers bum.
If you didn't know this you wouldn't look at a sea cucumber like I do

* "I'll read Hawthorn, Poe, Thurough, and Melville" yes, but read the history and geography books of the areas you are in too, or going to. As well, read some of the historical novels and romances set in the areas you're sailing. But life is not all classics... get some trash and current magazines too or you will be cut off from the world.
We have met many cruisers who have been cruising the pacific since before 9/11. They really don't know how the world has changed since. So keep up with current affairs

* "maybe get some dinner while Im there" Do a cooking course so you can prepare food in a zillion different ways and you can begin to identify some of the weird and truly wonderful foods not found at home (Pomplemouses!!!!!!)

* "Freedom is my ultimate goal. Forget the job and the government and the electric bill from now on." Many people, particularly high achievers just can't turn their minds off. They need things to keep them stimulated. Think how many IQ points you have. Each one likes to be tickled. Sure they also like having a little sleep occasionally too, but if for too long they get restless.

*** If you do all these courses before you leave home (or the ones that interest you) you will be the the most excited of all the cruisers because you will be able to scream: "LOOK its a Pearl fish!!!!! I bet he's lookin' for some ass!"

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 03:15   #57

MarkJ - well, you've convinced me. Strike Turkey off the list.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 05:01   #58

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The biggest downside of cruising that I've seen is having a spouse that does not like cruising, sailing, or even being on a boat. And I've seen lots of these cases. Usually, in these cases, (not always though) it's the male partner's lifelong dream and the spouse tolerates it (barely in many cases) or in some cases hates it. "She said she'd try it for a year" is heard fairly often. These boats are not happy. They have to go in marinas often to placate the unhappy partner. They have to ensure that the anchorage will be quiet whichever direction the wind might blow from. There's a long list of things that they cannot or will not do, such as sailing with a bit of heel.

If your partner loves the cruising life hang on to him/her!! If your partner doesn't like it, forget about it!
Old 26-06-2010, 05:28   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The biggest downside of cruising that I've seen is having a spouse that does not like cruising, sailing, or even being on a boat. And I've seen lots of these cases. Usually, in these cases, (not always though) it's the male partner's lifelong dream and the spouse tolerates it (barely in many cases) or in some cases hates it. "She said she'd try it for a year" is heard fairly often. These boats are not happy. They have to go in marinas often to placate the unhappy partner. They have to ensure that the anchorage will be quiet whichever direction the wind might blow from. There's a long list of things that they cannot or will not do, such as sailing with a bit of heel.

If your partner loves the cruising life hang on to him/her!! If your partner doesn't like it, forget about it!
Spot on. Know four couples at present who are unlikely to make it into their second year of cruising; in each case, the liveaboard lifestyle is clearly the female partners' idea of hell.
nautilass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 05:36   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
*** If you do all these courses before you leave home (or the ones that interest you) you will be the the most excited of all the cruisers because you will be able to scream: "LOOK its a Pearl fish!!!!! I bet he's lookin' for some ass!"

I knew there was a good reason for majoring in Marine Bio!

Quote:
Oh, by the way, SCUBA diving is banned in Turkey unless you are on a tourist dive boat as they are worried you will steal antiquities.
Not an unwarranted concern, I guess. But Greece isn't far away, and I'll bet the Greeks will let you dive, if only to annoy the Turks.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote