Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 21:27   #121

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.
Re: The Cult Of Likabilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Not every non-conformist is a leader, but often leaders are non-conformist. They lead others to the very ideas that become consensus.

Without these forward thinkers we have no new ideas. Yet every "new" idea is surplanted.

Does anyone recall "Oblio and the land of the Point"?
No, but I DO recall George Orwell's "Animal Farm".

And William Golding's "Lord of the Flies".

There's a point to be made here but heck - trying to make that point would conform to the forum usual. On the other hand, NOT trying would also conform with those who elect to observe yet not actively participate.

Conundrum.

Think I'll go for a sun-downer.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 03:09   #122

'Conforming' to a specification (because it works) in engineering, or physics, or chemistry, or anything similar, is a very different animal to 'conforming' to peer pressure or even fashion (let's call it Social conforming).

Social conforming is an extremely dangerous animal, and those that seek to exploit it are even more dangerous.

The worst tyranny of all, is the tyranny of the mob, and the worst tyrants are those that seek to create and exploit the tyranny of the mob.

Frequently (perhaps ultimately, always) this does backfire though, as Robespierre found to his cost. There are those around that don't even begin to appreciate the vulnerability of their necks.

The reason I don't 'do' what we call 'Social Media' (Facebook and the like), is because I do not need to be reminded just why I was glad to get away from the company of some of the idiots I went to school with.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 03:20   #123
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Water flows downhill everywhere on earth. Why say otherwise? It's a waste of almost everybody's time to argue that.
That is a totally irrelevant comparison. Social interaction has absolutely nothing to do with gravity. I can say a hundred billion ants can't all be wrong, but the truth is it's got nothing to do with sentient beings who want to decide their own path.

As for a blanket statement like " Water flows downhill everywhere on earth" that's also totally false. It's not flowing downhill on over 70% percent of the world which is under water. Ocean currents are not flowing downhill. It's not flowing downhill where there are no hills.
Water vapor certainly is water and steam doesn't flow downhill.

How does a false statement equate with anything of value in this?
Old 13-12-2015, 03:30   #124
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

About as much as your response..😃😃😃
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 03:32   #125

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
What do you expect from people who use composting toilets and Porta Botes?

Composting head= conformist

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-12-2015, 03:43   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
That is a totally irrelevant comparison. Social interaction has absolutely nothing to do with gravity. I can say a hundred billion ants can't all be wrong, but the truth is it's got nothing to do with sentient beings who want to decide their own path.

As for a blanket statement like " Water flows downhill everywhere on earth" that's also totally false. It's not flowing downhill on over 70% percent of the world which is under water. Ocean currents are not flowing downhill. It's not flowing downhill where there are no hills.
Water vapor certainly is water and steam doesn't flow downhill.

How does a false statement equate with anything of value in this?
Sure, it's permissible to to include observations of natural phenomena when attempting to explain human behavior. To claim the use of such analogies as false or without value stifles nonconformity.
Old 13-12-2015, 03:51   #127
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Okay. meteorites light up when they hit the earth's atmosphere. Therefore conformists are mindless.

Don't bother arguing with me. I'm right.

There, did I get the accepted CF format right?
Old 13-12-2015, 04:35   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Okay. meteorites light up when they hit the earth's atmosphere. Therefore conformists are mindless.

Don't bother arguing with me. I'm right.

There, did I get the accepted CF format right?
An enlightened thought and very nonconformist. ...provoking, mindless, not worthy of argument when discussing the "cult of likability".

I must confess that I would expect more sound cause and effect relationships if we were discussing electrical circuits or plumbing. Many, like me, don't see the rules when discussing topics that can't be evaluated with numerical data. I probably like the way you think!
Old 13-12-2015, 04:36   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it’s another nonconformist who doesn’t conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity.” ~ Bill Vaughan

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 04:53   #130
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Conformists are usually found huddled round the Anchor Threads.. 😃😃😃
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 05:25   #131

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Conformists are usually found huddled round the Anchor Threads.. 😃😃😃
except those using a Fisherman with no chain despite having a modern anchor in a storage.
or are those the actual conformists because that is how L.F.Herreshoff did it?
i'm getting confused.
where is the Rum bottle?
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 05:26   #132
CLOD

Boat: none

Go along to get along, with enforcement.

Nope doesn't exist anywhere
Old 13-12-2015, 07:45   #133

"I hate to jump on the "do it right bandwagon" but..."

Borrowed the above quote from a different thread because I think it does a good job of illustrating a type of groupthink pressure I feel like I see a lot, which I think is oftentimes misguided, the Every-boat-must-be-a-blue-water-boat-!!! mentality.

If I had to guess, there is a very slim minority of forum members who have ever crossed an ocean and an equal slim minority that have any aspiration to do likewise. The reality is that most boats spend most of their time sitting at dock not going anywhere. Despite this reality, I think all too often the "do it right bandwagon" drowns out more reasoned thinking.

Countless times I have seen newcomers looking for simple cheap solutions only to be shamed into thinking they need to spend $10k on repairs for a $5 problem on a $5k because you know, better to do it right than it do it all.

Not everyone wants to cross an ocean. A lot of people don't want to spend a million dollars on their boat. A lot of people just want to go out on the bay a couple times in the summer when then the weather is nice. I think a lot of people on this forum seem to not be able to understand this.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 08:20   #134
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
... I think all too often the "do it right bandwagon" drowns out more reasoned thinking ...
I've asked: "If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?" over 27,000 times, and never had a good answer.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 08:24   #135
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I too have often seen threads where a question from a newbie wanting an inexpensive, simple boat for relatively easy sailing runs into what you mention.

Common example, I want to buy this Brand X boat for $10,000 to sail to the Keys and maybe over to Bimini. Oh no, you must buy a steel, full keel, double ended, gaff rigged ketch with radar, AIS, SSB, etc, etc, etc to do that. However always in these threads you do see the voice of reason calling BS on the nonsense.

Also, I have to say and I'm sure you know this, just because someone has crossed and ocean doesn't mean they are an expert and infallible source for information, and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
"I hate to jump on the "do it right bandwagon" but..."

Borrowed the above quote from a different thread because I think it does a good job of illustrating a type of groupthink pressure I feel like I see a lot, which I think is oftentimes misguided, the Every-boat-must-be-a-blue-water-boat-!!! mentality.

If I had to guess, there is a very slim minority of forum members who have ever crossed an ocean and an equal slim minority that have any aspiration to do likewise. The reality is that most boats spend most of their time sitting at dock not going anywhere. Despite this reality, I think all too often the "do it right bandwagon" drowns out more reasoned thinking.

Countless times I have seen newcomers looking for simple cheap solutions only to be shamed into thinking they need to spend $10k on repairs for a $5 problem on a $5k because you know, better to do it right than it do it all.

Not everyone wants to cross an ocean. A lot of people don't want to spend a million dollars on their boat. A lot of people just want to go out on the bay a couple times in the summer when then the weather is nice. I think a lot of people on this forum seem to not be able to understand this.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote