Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-04-2012, 10:56   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Re: Tanker ship fends off Somali Pirates (video)

Nicely done. I don't think that any more or any less was necessary.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 11:28   #17

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
For anyone who doesn't read Russian, the last frame reads "Not One Pirate was Harmed in the Making of this Film!"

LOL.
How true! The camera didn't harm them.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 11:32   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
How true! The camera didn't harm them.
Actually, I think they were referring to the fact there were no pirates on board. They took the pirates off and arrested them; then they used the pirate mother ship for target practice. That's why you see the cooks etc. with AK47's on deck joining in the fun.

Some pretty impressive weaponry (if not marksmanship) I would hate to get in the way of that minigun.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:37   #19

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Actually, I think they were referring to the fact there were no pirates on board. They took the pirates off and arrested them; then they used the pirate mother ship for target practice. That's why you see the cooks etc. with AK47's on deck joining in the fun.

Some pretty impressive weaponry (if not marksmanship) I would hate to get in the way of that minigun.
Aah, learn something new every day. Does that mean the Russian Navy does "catch and release" like the US Navy?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 12:02   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Aah, learn something new every day. Does that mean the Russian Navy does "catch and release" like the US Navy?
I don't know for sure. It was reported (and discussed on CF) that they caught one band of them, sank their mother ship, then set them adrift in one of their skiffs with no food, water, or working outboard. I don't know whether it is true or not. Fairly cruel if it is true.

One of the well-known problems is that no one wants to pay for imprisoning pirates who are caught, which is why they are usually released. Obviously , this creates the wrong incentives. We ought to all chip in and pay the Russians to keep them in Siberia somewhere -- how expensive can that be? Put them away for 10 years in a place they could never escape from, and pretty soon the pirates will run out of volunteers.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:25   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I did a little digging in the Russian internet about that clip posted by Deck Officer.

Indeed, the clip is a montazh which doesn't show the pirates being taken off. They were indeed being sunk for fun. The "cooks and oilers" shooting AK47's and RPG's are just having fun with weapons taken off the pirates -- the Russian Navy doesn't use those old weapons any more.

The pirates were caught after hijacking the Russian freighter "University of Moscow". The crew managed to barricade itself in the engine room until the Antisubmarine Boat Marshal Shaposhnikov (depicted in the clip) could come to the rescue.

The clip, nevertheless, caused a furor -- an investigation was opened by the military prosecutors of the Russian Pacific Fleet and by the FSB (former KGB), to determine whether any unarmed pirates were shot -- would be a serious violation of Russian military law. The article doesn't say what the results of the investigation were.

The article is here: Компромат: БПЛ Маршал Шапошников раcстреливает лодки пиратов (видео) - Новости @ inform - *ООИВС "*усичи"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: