Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2018, 18:57   #31

Boat: Boreal 52
Re: Talking about Tools.

Small molybdenum magnet. Mine is about 1/2" diameter, 1/2" tall, but there are lots around, find in hobby shops. Amazingly strong, you have to be careful not to pinch skin with them if near other metal objects. I use for fishing messenger lines through boom or mast. For example: I recently pulled a reef line through the boom when the stopper knot unknowingly came undone. What a PITA!!! In the past, I've used a fish tape. Instead, just tie some sail twine to a plain steel nut (not stainless steel). Insert into one end of the boom, and pull along from the outside with the little magnet till it gets to the other end, then use the twine as a messenger to fish the reefing line. Works a treat!!! Took about a minute!

Just be sure not to store anywhere near a compass!!!
svbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 18:59   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

High speed die grinder and carbide burrs
Saber saw
Circular saw
D-A sander
Drill
Right angle grinder
Polishing wheels
Ring compressor
Giant ratchet wire lug compressor with die set
Heat shrink gun
1/2 inch right angle drill and winch bit
20 various C clamps
Mallets
Chisels
Solder irons, 3 sizes
Torch
Sockets
Nut drivers
Spanners
Vice
Bench grinder
Taps & dies, metric and SAE
tiny tool sets
Wheel pullers, three sizes
Torque wrench
Level
Tube benders
Cross cut saw
Key hole saw
Coping saw
Pile of files and rasps
Shop vac
Massive pile of the usual hand tools
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 20:01   #33

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Upgrade wiring
New inverter installation
New alternator with higher current output.
Rebuild / reconfigure / replace battery bank.

And that’s just 3 years in to my present boat. I bought a TEMCo crimper on eBay for about $80 US. Vs $20 for the hammer tool that I don’t quite trust.
I like the convenience of making cables aboard.
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry, still don't understand. I did all of that on my boat and the shop did the crimping as a freebee when I bought the new cables (cut to my measurements) and connectors. San Diego, Calif. Guess the difference is that I was doing all that at one time. Except the new inverter which came later but used the existing cables. But still... Different strokes, no? Plus... I don't do eBay, but that's a story for a different thread!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 20:08   #34

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbravo View Post
Small molybdenum magnet. For example: I recently pulled a reef line through the boom when the stopper knot unknowingly came undone. What a PITA!!! In the past, I've used a fish tape. Instead, just tie some sail twine to a plain steel nut (not stainless steel). Insert into one end of the boom, and pull along from the outside with the little magnet till it gets to the other end, then use the twine as a messenger to fish the reefing line. Works a treat!!!
Clever! Wish I'd known that trick when we were in Bora Bora. Ended up using several metal coat hangers and a swab handle through the boom. Absolute PITA.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:50   #35

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Have several cabinets chock full of tools plus workshop with bench. Some of the more useful items: Shop Vac. Large vice. 6" dia grinder w/wire wheel. Drill Press. Drill Index in 1/64 increments. Hole saw set up to 4" dia. Spanner wrench to open Groco strainers. Neoprene gasket material. Tap & Die set. Metric and SAE wrenchs, sockets. Torque wrenches in 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2". AC/DC clamp meter. Fein wire stripper. Ancor crimping tool. LOTS of small LED flashlights scattered everywhere. etc., etc., etc.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:58   #36

Boat: Pearson 10M

Norseman Drill Bit Set 29pc Magnum Jobber Length 46962 Orange USA Made

Best drill bits i've ever owned and they are in an o-ring sealed orange plastic index.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:22   #37

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Butyl tape - will not age and great for many repairs (rebedding....), stays flexible for ever.
charly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:29   #38

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry, still don't understand. I did all of that on my boat and the shop did the crimping as a freebee when I bought the new cables (cut to my measurements) and connectors. San Diego, Calif. Guess the difference is that I was doing all that at one time. Except the new inverter which came later but used the existing cables. But still... Different strokes, no? Plus... I don't do eBay, but that's a story for a different thread!

A bit more explanation then.
I’m both impatient and like to cut to fit. And I enjoy doing my own work. And I’d rather buy the tools and raw materials.
Piles of lugs, lengths of cable.
I don’t want to measure then go to a shop and back to the boat. I’m happier doing it in situ.
And I get pleasure from the process.

The crimper came from Amazon and happens to be US made.

Definitely different strokes. I understand where you are coming from.

Happy sailing!
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:34   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

A couple of rolls of band aid type tape and some second skin.

And liquid tape.

AND, MOST important, an Admiral who knows where all this stuff is and what it’s called.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:44   #40

Quote:

Yeah, okay... WD40. Should go without saying.
WD40 is not a lubricant. It is a Water Displacer. There are better penetrating oils and lubricants out there. I use Ballistol for spray lubrication and PB Blaster for penetrating oil and getting at seized bolts. I keep Mecury 2-4-C lubricant around and use it on all bolt threads along with either a locking washer or a nyloc. This prevents the need to unseize bolts to begin with.

Quote:
Clear nail polish. Useful to waterproof a solder connection when shrink tubing is not an option (wrap with sticky tape before polish drys), or to delay the inevitable onset of rust on shackle threads and/or the like, or when you run out of "Loctite", etc.

Pencil type refillable butane solder iron. {Small can of flux, tube of solder.} What... you want to pay an electrician?
Nope, there absolutely no need to solder ANYTHING on a boat....EVER! Use crimp connectors and shrink tubing.

Quote:
Handful of 12 & 24 VDC LEDs with built in 100 Ohm resister. {A few each red, amber, green.} YOU might carry proper spares aboard for various control panel indicators (etc) but your neighbor in the anchorage might only have spare beer.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:44   #41

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Bolt cutters, the largest you can carry. Useful now and then on the boat, and critical if you are dismasted and need to cut away the stays/shrouds before the mast pierces the hull.

Extra long extensions for my socket wrench set, including flex joints.

Ditto on the oscillating saw. We keep a dremel one on board with various blades. Will do flush and plunge cuts and go through all types of metal.

Blue Locktite; plumbers thread sealant (for zincs and other leak-prone joints).

Electricians tape in several colors. Heat shrink electrical connectors. Dielectric grease.

Wooden or plastic emergency plugs for all thru-hulls.

Wrenches that you are certain will fit and work on your stuffing box.

One of those narrow yellow plastic drain clog cleaners they sell at hardware stores, the one that looks like a long, narrow sawfish bill.

Plumbers tubing cutter.

Sailmaker's leather palm and large needles with stout repair tread.

Set of small size taps for re-threading stripped threads or tapping new holes.

Narrow, small brass, stainless and plastic brushes with handles.

UV resistant electrical zip ties (last for years in the sun, found them on-line).

Small, rechargeable vac with narrow nozzle. We use the HomeDepot Ryobi brand. Not top quality, but the batteries are interchangeable with the two drills (large and very small) we keep on board. Less $ lost if you drop one overboard or the salt air damages the tool. We can actually charge the batteries with our little inverter while underway.

BP Blaster for stubborn nuts and bolts. Anti-sieze compound to reduce the need for the BP Blaster.

Pop rivet tool. We keep one on board as we have been replacing our canvas and
frames over the years, as well as some small fittings on the mast/boom/stanchions.

Multi-meter

a few surgeons clamps.

Very-long-handled needle-nose pliers.

Good luck!

Terry
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:16   #42

Quote:

Yeah, okay... WD40. Should go without saying.
WD40 is not a lubricant. It is a Water Displacer. There are better penetrating oils and lubricants out there. I use Ballistol for spray lubrication and PB Blaster for penetrating oil and getting at seized bolts. I keep Mecury 2-4-C lubricant around and use it on all bolt threads along with either a locking washer or a nyloc. This prevents the need to unseize bolts to begin with.

Quote:
Clear nail polish. Useful to waterproof a solder connection when shrink tubing is not an option (wrap with sticky tape before polish drys), or to delay the inevitable onset of rust on shackle threads and/or the like, or when you run out of "Loctite", etc.

Pencil type refillable butane solder iron. {Small can of flux, tube of solder.} What... you want to pay an electrician?
Nope, there absolutely no need to solder ANYTHING on a boat....EVER! Use crimp connectors and shrink tubing. Also no need for electrical tape on a boat. It just melts and makes a mess over time.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:31   #43

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Nope, there absolutely no need to solder ANYTHING on a boat....EVER! Use crimp connectors and shrink tubing. Also no need for electrical tape on a boat. It just melts and makes a mess over time.
Do you crimp LEDs to their resistors? Do you crimp coax connectors? (well, you can but not good for center pin).

There are many things that need soldering on a boat! I have always carried one and used it often.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:46   #44

Has anyone mentioned a flexible hose clamp nut driver? One of my favorite all-time tools. Amazon for around 12 bucks.
tomusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:11   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Do you crimp LEDs to their resistors? Do you crimp coax connectors? (well, you can but not good for center pin).

There are many things that need soldering on a boat! I have always carried one and used it often.
How often are you using shrink tubing when you solder LED's to resistors? That was the scope of the OP's post, which sounds more like electrical, while what you're referring too sounds more like electronics.

Yes, I absolutely crimp Coax.

Yes, I can solder, however, I simply haven't needed to on a boat. If you're building or repairing electronics, then great. Most people are simply replacing them.