Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 23:21   #91
cruiser

Re: Surviving World War Three at Sea

When Cap Pat suggested heading south, me things he forgot about tropical deseases unless he's stocked up on medications for just about anything. Colder climates have far fewer deseases.

Eastern Canada and Maine look good, so does the Baltic.
Old 08-05-2017, 00:26   #92

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
When Cap Pat suggested heading south, me things he forgot about tropical deseases unless he's stocked up on medications for just about anything. Colder climates have far fewer deseases.

Eastern Canada and Maine look good, so does the Baltic.
If there would be a big one with Russia a party you can forget the Baltic. All of the Baltic states are viewed by Russia as its historical area, a view the native population's don't share (hence NATO memberships). Without Nato they would probably have gone the way of Crimea.
But yeah, don't see nuclear armageddon on the horizon either and the whole prepper lifestyle to me seems a bit ...hmm... funny
Old 08-05-2017, 07:22   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Maybe naive, but I always assumed the US had not stepped up the opposition earlier because they had the means of ensuring any NK launched nuclear would explode before it left their own countryside. Now, with more launching capacity and suicidal allies, the situation is obviously getting more serious and Trump may be the right man at the right time??
No comment.

Quote:
I also assumed the "starwars defence system" was abandoned because they'd worked out a more economic way of doing it. Could it be the economic solution was "the do nothing option."
Starwars was a well-timed bluff. The US knew that the USSR was economically fragile, and behind technologically, and the threat of one more new military front to spend on caused them to fold. (Me praising Reagan. Who knew.)
Old 08-05-2017, 08:16   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
(Me praising Reagan. Who knew.)
You didn't like his movies?
Old 08-05-2017, 08:23   #95
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
If there would be a big one with Russia a party you can forget the Baltic. All of the Baltic states are viewed by Russia as its historical area, a view the native population's don't share (hence NATO memberships). Without Nato they would probably have gone the way of Crimea.
But yeah, don't see nuclear armageddon on the horizon either and the whole prepper lifestyle to me seems a bit ...hmm... funny
Lets all hope Cap Pat's had his malaria shots and brings along enough mosquito netting as he makes his way south following the nuclear apocalypse.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:48   #96

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Lets all hope Cap Pat's had his malaria shots and brings along enough mosquito netting as he makes his way south following the nuclear apocalypse.
Heh, going south is probably a good plan regardless of the initial motivation . As long as one is prepared for the local bugs, that is.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-05-2017, 08:48   #97

Boat: 17' Boston Whaler

Dumbmad, SDI is not abandoned. I worked on the first iteration back in the eighties. The current system is compact, portable, accurate, and well deployed throughout NATO. The other guys have systems too, though not proven better than the US hardware to date.

As for generally surviving an exchange, it will be a matter of luck. All aboard at the time will try and survive of course, and those ships in open ocean will have the best chance. Maybe one could end up on Pitcairn or the like, but most life sustaining islands are already inhabited, and there will be strife ashore. I believe there will be pockets of survival here and there. Odds are it won't be me, so happy to just sail on and not worry about it.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:52   #98
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

every few years this pops up its ugly head and so far, how many apocalypses have we endured?? come on chikkin little--lets just go sailing and enjoy life.
life after said apocalypse aint gonna be worth living-- give it up.
life is soo much better without daily newspapers and sensationalist rags to spew propaganda and dogma and doctrine among those alive and living on this planet.
back to tacos guisados and playing with kittens and friends here in pair a dice ville
Old 08-05-2017, 09:02   #99

I guess I don't understand the rationale behind mocking someone for their beliefs. I'm sure CaptPat's experience over the last 50+ years supports his belief that this is a very real threat and he sure seems like he's got a head on his shoulders. Even if you don't share his opinion, I don't think it's too much to ask that people respect his right it. I don't know how old you guys are, but even growing up in the 70's and 80's there was an ever-present threat of nuclear war and, looking back, there were a number of times that I thought that that's how most of us would go.

A couple of years ago I didn't think nuclear war was at all likely and hadn't since the fall of the USSR. These days, with unpredictable people like Kim, Putin and Trump in power I really have no idea what the chances are, but I personally feel that it's significantly more likely than it was in the very recent past. It's not something I worry about but I don't fault anyone who does, especially if they lived through the 50's and 60's.

I personally don't think that we're heading for any type of collapse of civilization, but I'm sure most people would call me a prepper. I have a large store of food, multiple strategies for water, a generator, etc. Why? That's how I was raised. I do a lot of canning in season, so you're going to have a lot of food. I also raised chickens, quail and rabbits for food for years, so you need to be able to store large quantities of meat at a time, because that's how harvesting works. We didn't raise animals when I was a kid, though my mom was raised on a farm, but she make everything from scratch and canned or froze a very large portion of our food. My dad was always prepared for emergencies, just as his parents were; likely a combination of personality as well as going through the depression. As a kid, we often lost power for 3-4 days at a time in the winter, so the freezers were in the garage where they'd stay frozen when that happened. A few years ago we had a long cold snap that ended up freezing my water supply for pretty much all of Jan & Feb. Because I was ready for it and used to low water consumption when camping, it wasn't much of an issue.

Stuff does happen and a little preparation goes a long way to making it easier to handle. We all have different experiences that lead us to hold the opinions that we do and shape our fears/concerns. If someone rational is concerned about something that I'm not, it doesn't mean they're wrong, it just means that their experiences have led to that concern.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:49   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderless View Post
I personally don't think that we're heading for any type of collapse of civilization, but I'm sure most people would call me a prepper. I have a large store of food, multiple strategies for water, a generator, etc. Why? That's how I was raised.
Most people need to do a better job of being prepared for basic and common emergencies - like a few days stockpile of food and water, basic first aid, a generator, flashlights, alternate lighting/cooking arrangement if the power goes out, etc. Even this city boy has a small generator. We keep a decent larder because we'd rather grab spaghetti sauce off a shelf than run to the corner store on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I'm not a prepper, just proactively lazy.

A distinction can be made between someone who through preference or necessity (eg a farmer) stores food and supplies, and exercises some forethought in general preparedness... and the self-identified group of 'preppers'.

If you spend alot of time thinking and talking about catastrophe, reading 'prepper' forums and sites, if you know what shtf means, if you listen to Alex Jones, if you own camo but you don't hunt...

Hey, it's a hobby like most others. I can't find the link but a noted biologist or botanist wrote this incredible rip on the notion of personal seed banks, and the fantasy that Joe Average Non-farmer could take their $$$ ready-made prepper seed bank and actually end up with successful yields.

Survival requires cooperation, not isolation and armaments. Plus, after the EMPs you're gonna be playing a lot of card-games, so you'll need a larger social circle.

Me, I'll be in the corner making little regenerative radios from my horde of Soviet tubes.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:22   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

CFers.

The mods decision was to cull a few posts from this thread that were overtly political and deviated somewhat from the topic. We were frugal in our selection although a few more posts were tagged for removal, we left them to allow the thread to continue in its direction.

It causes too many problems here on Cf and a lot of friction to discuss present day policies and viewpoints related to political figures.

The mods are here to help the CF posters... sometimes we have to help you in spite of yourselves... In sensitive topics like this... please be aware that your fellow poster probably does not agree with you and will start ripping on your post so best to leave all opinions on politics alone.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:29   #102
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderless View Post
I guess I don't understand the rationale behind mocking someone for their beliefs. I'm sure CaptPat's experience over the last 50+ years supports his belief that this is a very real threat and he sure seems like he's got a head on his shoulders. Even if you don't share his opinion, I don't think it's too much to ask that people respect his right it.
This has to be the funniest paragraph in the whole thread. 🙄

There a no right to have others respect your opinion.
I have been through the US constitution in particular the Amendments and there ain't one there.

He's studied it for 50 years and been wrong for those 50 years and you want us to respect his wrongness?
Old 08-05-2017, 10:36   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
This has to be the funniest paragraph in the whole thread. 🙄

There a no right to have others respect your opinion.
I have been through the US constitution in particular the Amendments and there ain't one there.

He's studied it for 50 years and been wrong for those 50 years and you want us to respect his wrongness?
I didn't say that others have to respect his opinion, rather respect his right to have his own opinion.

Some people just can't play nice with others.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:55   #104

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Surviving the apocalypse is simple. Many 55 gallon drums of salt and pepper.
8 billion bipeds wandering aimlessly around is alot of meat on the move. Plenty for all.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:06   #105
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It's good to read that some know how many countries are being bombed by the USA. By the way, I am an ex-military guy as well and know that even artillery shelling is considered a bombardment. Raining down missiles is bombing as well, certainly in the context I used the word.

Other things to know: the US military is active in 150 countries besides the USA. They have more than 300,000 active duty military stationed outside the borders of the USA. I was stationed in a foreign country as well so don't take this as criticism; all I want to say with these statements and numbers is that we do not have the safest situation of all times like some want us to believe.

About reading about this: there is a good trilogy called "36 hours" IIRC. It's very good and realistic even though the EMP event has a natural cause instead of a military.
Closed Thread