Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 12:40   #31

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Raven,
Not sure who asked for a vote on authenticity. If Wheels says its genuine surely you are not doubting his word?
But following your suggestion I also zoomed in via photoshop and do not get the same results you did......
IMHO the backflow off the wave at keel base, the airborne anchor, all indicate to me its simply jumping off the back of an incoming wave.

Nothing special about that action, except in this case a camera mans in the right place at right time. I'm sure if anyone was going to fudge a picture - they'd do it off a more dramitic scene than this.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 07-02-2007, 12:43   #32
cruiser

Awww... crap. I was looking more at the water and such which is the hardest part to fake if it were a fake. I didn't look at the boat at all!

I guess I wouldn't be a good forensics guy.

Oddly, we have mouths of rivers with much current (6 knots) and standing waves at the entrances. It just doesn't work like the bars do though. Interesting.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 17:34   #33

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman
Hi Raven,
Not sure who asked for a vote on authenticity.
No one did. It's just my own unsolicited, friendly response to an image that does not look real.

Quote:
If Wheels says its genuine surely you are not doubting his word?.
It is a contradiction in terms and ideas, to call anything a revelation that comes to us at second-hand, either verbally or in writing. Revelation is necessarily limited to the first communication — after this, it is only an account of something which that person says was a revelation made to him; and though he may find himself obliged to believe it, it cannot be incumbent on me to believe it in the same manner; for it was not a revelation made to me, and I have only his word for it that it was made to him.
Thomas Paine, Age of Reason, 1794

Wheels, is this a picture that you shot? If not, what is its source?

Quote:
Nothing special about that action, except in this case a camera mans in the right place at right time. I'm sure if anyone was going to fudge a picture - they'd do it off a more dramitic scene than this.
Nothing special about the action? Hmmm.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 20:38   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
It's a fair enough question. It's hard to the difference in fact and fiction these days.

Is it real?? Well let me fill you in.
The photo is of the sailboat Belle. She was on a trip from Manly Qld to Brisbane. The photo was taken by Stephen Matters. Apart from that, I only knew him as I know you guy's, by internet connection only. I have no reason to doubt the guy, but I can not prove it is not hoax. However, if you look close enough, you can see all the rigging, the anchor is off the foredeck and the spray is pushing forward of the boat and onto the imediate area of the back of the wave. I honestly do not see this as fake. Fake has too many tell tale signs of which I see none.
The discussion we were having was on bar crossings and this guy talked about Ozy bars. I have tried to search the archives but came up with nothing. I remember it being a long time back. I thought it was on this board, but maybe it wasn't. I am very sorry folks, but a struggle with a huge memory loss problem and things can get hazy and mixed together.

Does any of the very originals here remember this guy??

Can any of our Oz friends fill us in on what bar this maybe?? Is there a Bar at Manly itself or is there a river between Manly and Brisbane that the boat may have crossed??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 21:18   #35

link-Nautical Tales

How about wide bay bar. The story is here although I can't help but wonder where the shrouds and backstays are myself. Not a pixel of them remains.
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 21:35   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe you need a better Monitor. I can see the shrouds and backstays. Hard to see, but I can see them.
Thanks for the link. That was a good read. And intersting to see the Photo was taken by Dan Jenner. Stephen must have been onboard Belle.

Old 07-02-2007, 21:40   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Maybe you need a better Monitor. I can see the shrouds and backstays. Hard to see, but I can see them.
Thanks for the link. That was a good read. And intersting to see the Photo was taken by Dan Jenner. Stephen must have been onboard Belle.
Fair enough! I might need a better monitor. Yay! going computer shopping!
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 22:05   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've got a good monitor, a top of the line video card, a reasonable spec'd computer, but still only running Win98. I finaly have all the bigs sorted and I am reluctant to upgrade :-)

Old 07-02-2007, 23:40   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Manly, Qld?

From this Manly to Brisbane?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:07   #40

Boat: now floating easy37
ill put in a vote for the It's real crowd, if you are going as fast as that boat would be going your mainsail isnt going to be drawing anymore as i reckon you would generate a small amount of apparent wind
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:12   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I showed this picture to my girlfriend last night and her reaction was:

"Ummm.. no"

I suspect she didn't think it would be one of the happier moments in sailing, and I can't disagree with her.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:46   #42

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
It's not surfing but the next best thing - planing a 30 foot sailboat before 30 knot breeze...........

Cheers
JOHN
Old 08-02-2007, 06:09   #43

How do they do that?

Okay, so how is it that a displacement boat of that size (how many tons?) gets thrown vertically (five, maybe six feet of air under the entire hull) and the wave shows no evidence of being parted or disturbed in any way beyond a bit of spray?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:38   #44

Hi Raven,
Assume you are still talking about the red hulled wave jumper - I'd guess she's possibly a 7-9 ton raceboat? Theres a good deal more than 5/6 foot of hull exposed - maybe 20!
My intepretation of the picture is the boat was heading out offshore against the wave - before an offshore breeze (you can see the breeze also lifting the spray off the wave top).
I'd also guess she was under motor - and went straight at the incoming wave to get through as opposed to tossed back. I'd be under max revs if it were me.
Whatever weight she was, she could easily have been lifted by that wave - and clearly none of us can see that impact on the shoreside wave face (as we are viewing from offshore).
But the photos captured her at the wave top and just before the wave rolled away underneath. You can see shes in the act of dropping - backed top to main and airborne loose anchor.
I'd also guess she came down with a big bang (as the wave has no back to speak of) ........ but it's exactly the scenario you'd expect in such a seaway.
And in regard to how unusual this scene is - practically such wave jumping happens hundreds of times over a four days race in the Sydney Hobart - when the wind is almost guaranteed to oppose the strong currents on that route and create very steep backless waves.
Which after several such thumps - is why so many get damaged.

I suspect you'll prove hard to convince - but it all looks genuine to me.
IMHO of course.
JOHN
Old 08-02-2007, 08:20   #45

Hard to convince

John,

When I referred to the 5 to 6 feet of air under the boat, I was talking vertical, using the keel as reference.

You're right, I'll be a hard one to convince.