Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2009, 20:12   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Superbowl XLIII

Whats the Superbowl have to do with boats?

Plenty...

We have the Vikings which of course are famous for their boats.

Dolphins are found in the water.

Buccaneers are found on the water.

Seahawks are found above the water.

Need I go on?

Enjoy!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 20:27   #2

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
YYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you mods for allowing this thread....

Alright everyone, all thougts on the Superbowl welcome...

I belive we all know where my allegiances lie. However, after watching player and coches interviews, IMHO the STEELERS are taking this game very lightly, and that is downright dangerous. The Steelers ARE the better team, but it scares me that they are the more relaxed team. Arizona, having not been in a Superbowl in the past 1 million years, seem hungry and ready to fight. The Steelers, on the other hand, seem like they are already victorious. THIS SCARES ME. WAKE UP BOYS.

My Steelers are the better team, but if they approach the game with this relaxed attitude they may punched in the face.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Bill
Old 28-01-2009, 03:42   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The mods received several PMs requesting a superbowl thread. All forum rules will apply but we will let this one run.

Just a reminder. This place is about boats and boating. We have gone off forum frequency on a couple of threads recently but we really don't want this to become the trend.

There are lot's of boat sites that allow far ranging topics. Many of those forums you can hardly find the boat stuff.

One of the things unique about CF is that we are all boats 24X7 and if you want to talk boats this is the place. The aisles are uncluttered, so to speak.

OK 'nuff said. Enjoy the bowl...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 04:08   #4

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Here's to a Superbowl distraction from the cold winter conditions here in Maryland. I bet BadFish has it worst than me. Our 2" of snow yesterday has now crusted over and is getting coated with a layer of ice from the freezing rain and drizzle that has fallen overnight.
I think I'll get the canoe out and go sledding.(1st boating reference)

Sorry Badfish about the STEELERS upcoming loss. I am an NFC and an underdog fan generally if my team is not playing....Go SAINTS!!!! The Saints play down in the Bayou and you can use a BOAT to go to the games in Hurricane season......Here's hoping for a great game!

Is your boat in a heated shed BF? you could go watch the game on your BOAT.

Thank you mods for the "off topic" in the off topic forum. Seems like that shouldn't be a problem with it being in the OTF. But thanks again and come on Spring!!!!!!!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 07:36   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Just be sure to make a boating reference in all you're posts.

Very good SeaKing. BadFish, you're going to have to do better.

Time to start racking up some boating reference points.

Saints 1, Steelers zippo.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 07:58   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As always in football, injuries could change the expected outcome of the game.

The Steelers have a good, almost spectacular, defense and an adequate, but not spectacular, offense. The Cardinals have a good, but not spectacular, defense and a spectacular offense - when their quarterback has sufficient time to execute.

Obviously, the Steelers' defense won't hold anything back in their attempt to pressure Kurt Warner, but if the Cardinals' O-line is up to the task of keeping Warner protected, then it could be a long day for the Steelers. Similarly, if the Cards' defense can hit Roethlisberger as hard as Martha Fleishman did (look it up ), then the Steelers could be forced to use Byron Leftwich to try to find a way to score.

Good luck with that.

If the Steelers' outstanding defense can put some points on the board, or at least put the offense in great field position with turnovers, they could have a lot to say about which team hoists the championship trophy at the end of the game.

I'm one of Troy Polamalu's biggest fans (I love his game, but I still hold it against him for leaving USC a year early ), but Warner is probably too experienced to give him many opportunities to make a game-changing play. The Cardinals are too deep with targets for Warner's passes for the Steelers to cover everyone the way they want to, but I expect Polamalu and Clark will punish those receivers severely if the opportunity presents itself.

Bottom line: Steelers should win what I expect to be a close game, but if you're wagering on the outcome, take the Cardinals and the points (currently +7). The over/under is 47.

TaoJones

PS: Boating reference for David - Steel hulls go down like the Titanic when the seemingly impervious material is penetrated. Cardinals fly like the brightest-colored spinnaker on a J-boat.

PPS: Superbowl XLII was last year, so if that's what we're discussing, I'll take the Giants. Heh.
Old 28-01-2009, 09:51   #7

Wish I could bring my boat down to Tampa for some cruisin this week. Could use some warm weather. Anyone gonna be cruisin in ol' Tampa Bay this weekend for the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
if the Cards' defense can hit Roethlisberger as hard as Martha Fleishman did (look it up ), then the Steelers could be forced to use Byron Leftwich to try to find a way to score.
Good luck with that
We don't talk about that incident around here. Big Ben can sure take some punishment, but Byron is probably the second best backup in the league (I'd say Matt Cassell is 1st)

The Steelers offense has played outstandingly in the past two games. The o-line, which has been our biggest weakness all year, has stepped their game up a few notches. Giving Willie Parker some running room really opens up things for Big Ben, who can already make things happen in the worst of situations.

The Steel Curtain will punish and shut down the high-powered offense of the Cards, and the Steelers offense will outperform the Ariz O.

In my opinion, the biggest advantage the Cards have is head coach Ken Wisenhunt and O-line coach Russ Grimm. These former Steelers coaches know Pittsburgh's schemes and plays, but more disturbingly they are aware of many player's individual tendancies in situations.

Game will be close, but the Steelers will run away with it in the 4th.

Cheers

Bill
Old 28-01-2009, 14:06   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
<snip>
We don't talk about that incident around here. Big Ben can sure take some punishment, but Byron is probably the second best backup in the league (I'd say Matt Cassell is 1st)
<snip>
Matt Cassel was an outstanding athlete at Chatsworth High School, and you may be right that he's the best backup QB - he sure got a lot of practice at it at SC. He's the only quarterback in NFL history to ever start an NFL game at QB without ever starting a single game in college.

Of course, he had the bad luck to attend SC at the same time as Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart, and then found himself on the same team as Tom Brady in the pros. Still, it will be interesting to see if the Patriots can keep him happy as a backup when Brady returns next season.

Byron Leftwich became a huge disappointment in Jacksonville, but maybe he's content to be a backup now. As you indicated, Roethlisberger is pretty durable (his motorcycle accident would have killed most men, I think) so the playing time available for Leftwich is minimal. If he has to pick up the reins for the Steelers offense Sunday, he could be like fresh, raw meat for a hungry Cardinals' D.

Lame boating reference: Mike Tomlin, skipper of the Steelers impressive vessel, is heading into uncharted waters (for him), and his former tactician and navigator are now aboard the Cardinals' yacht - the one with the finest boathouse in the league, The Big Toaster.

TaoJones
Old 28-01-2009, 14:15   #9

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Although I was praying for an Eagles / Steelers Superbowl (Fly Eagles, Fly!), I will be routing for the Steelers too. GO STEELERS! Remember, it was the Eagles who CRUSHED Dallas and trounced the Giants...there is something to be said for that!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 14:56   #10

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
When I play the ponies, I tend to bet the jockey. Warner's got some magic going on right now. I'm taking the Cardinals.
Old 28-01-2009, 15:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Although I was praying for an Eagles / Steelers Superbowl (Fly Eagles, Fly!), I will be routing for the Steelers too. GO STEELERS!
I also wanted a Pennsylvania Superbowl. Got some friends from the other side of the state, die hard birds fans. I remember at college, when the Steelers/Eagles played, there was a real rivalry there.

I don't think Kurt Warner's the jockey you want to bet on right now. Throughout his career, Warner's only been as good as the recievers he's had (Bruce/Holt in 99 and now Fitzgerald/Boldin). If his recievers get shut down by say, a defense ranked #1 in the league, Warner will be hard pressed to make plays happen unlike his counterpart in Roethlisberger, who has done that his whole career. Big Ben's been pretty hot himself lately, even if Warner has the better numbers. Only numbers that really count are W-L. Roethlisberger wins there.

The Cards this year have yet to play a team with the physical presence of the Steelers. They will be punished.

Cheers

Bill
Old 28-01-2009, 16:07   #12

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Steelers by 7...watch out

Remember the Pats 'perfect season'...then they lost. Completely routed my understanding of 'who' should win games. Knocked the wind out of my sails, and the keel fell off too. So I'm in fear of that 8 & 8 team actually winning. But in 2009 its the PC way. I'll watch the game until if founders. ie remember the Bears vs the Pats? I watched for 1 quarter. When the Bears ate the Pats for breakfast. Go Steel Curtain!

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 16:12   #13

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Bill

You make a good point. It'll be interesting. I think either a blowout by the Steelers or a great contest which the Cards'll win. Defence is easier to play consistantly than offence but I think that the Cards offence is peaking right now. I'll be putting my money where my mouth is on Sunday. Cards by 8. (Of course, I'll be taking the points)
Old 28-01-2009, 19:39   #14

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
I think it will be a high water(points) game, Warner will be in the Hall of Fame one day not because of this game but his whole story. This is his third superbowl, not bad for a grocery store stock boy. I think the win will come on multi fathom(boating depth reference) passes to the fitzgerald/bolden fast frigate from the older skipper Warner.

Cards 35, Sinking Curtain 27
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 19:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Cards 35, Sinking Curtain 27
Ouch...

Care to wager?

If Pittsburgh, best sports franchise in the history of existense, wins, you be puttin a Steelers sticker on your boat (no bilge) and take a pic of your ugly mug next to it. If they lose, I will d the same with a Cards or Saints sticker.

Watcha think, eh?

Cheers

Bill