Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 10:10   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Do you really consider the average Dane to be wealthy.... living in dinky little apartments and riding their 30 year old bicycle to work in sub zero temperatures while toking on their cigarette? There's also a high tax on new bicycles.
Well, yes. By any standard, the average Dane (just like the average westerner everywhere) is wealthy.

I've never been there. All I can tell you is that by most international metrics I can find, Denmark comes out looking pretty damn good.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:12   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Well, yes. By any standard, the average Dane (just like the average westerner everywhere) is wealthy.

I've never been there. All I can tell you is that by most international metrics I can find, Denmark comes out looking pretty damn good.
'Looks awesome....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	112280  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:15   #48

Quote:
Looks awesome....
Could be Canada .
Old 05-11-2015, 12:39   #49
cruiser

Sailorboy,

It's good to hear from you. How was your summer?

Is this the year to cast off the lines? Or continue on the treadmill...
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 13:11   #50

lol

being italian (and from the north of italy, totally different from the south) i just can agree with all the argument around here...why should i work 10 hours a day, living a in a smal flat, buy a small car, had no money apart and pass all my next 40 years in this way?

for a toyota yaris 1.3 99ps...180 euro years as tax, plus 900 euro year as insurance (i have some extra like windows insurance and so on, but no full coverage) and my 4 years old car now value is abour 4.000 euro..so i pay a same new car every 4 year of insurance...

average salary...finland, denmark MINIMUM 1800 euro...france 1500 euro, setted by law...italy...work for free for 6 months, then we will let you know if you are good for this workplace..the manager of a 10 people office, working 12 hours a day get 1500 euro/month..

seriously...a teeth cleanining from 70 to 120 euro, from private doctor
healt system is pratically almost free, is 43 euro each exam, no matter what, free if poor and so on...heart surgery 43 euro, broken bone the same...

average 100 square meters flat (333 ft square) is from 150.000 euro to infinite...150.000 to be refitted all and G eco class..(meaning 1 millimeter glass window and stone wall)...if you want it A class with heated floor and so on, over 350.000 euro...i get a sun odissey 55...

ah no sorry..46 ft, meaning 14 meters..because i have to pay a lenght tax on the boat...take a look here
Agenzia delle Entrate - Tassa annuale sulle unità da diporto - Come e quando versare
so, accordin to the italian state if you have a rusted 60 ft barge with no engine you are richer than someone who owns a 300.000 extra luxury ribs with 4x 300 hp outboard...he will pay 0 taxes on it..ZERO...

well...i'll stop here before getting mad about it....

cheapest marina annual fee for a 46 ft...from7.000 to 9.000 euro...
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 00:54   #51

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
'Looks awesome....
Which summer day did you take this picture in? Worse in winter

Actually Ken, most of us here ride bicycles even though we have cars because finding a parking spaace in the city is a major undertaking. Bicycling is generally also faster than taking the car if you are moving around in the city.

But yes - Denmark is vey expensive. taxes are high. Our politicians like to boast that we have few rich people and fewer poor people. Just one great big middle class.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:42   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Just a nice, gentle reminder from your local friendly moderator that a number of posts have been deleted, because, well, they don't comply with our rules. You know, the ones you all know.

Such as discussing moderation.

See, some of us DO have a sense of humor. So, carry on and be nice.

Yes, there are some seriously whacked out prices that are asked for at times, but that is not something we can comment on. The market place usually sends the message well.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:07   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

See, some of us DO have a sense of humor.
er...... which some?

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:14   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I used to work in Finland during the 90s, and was in all the seasons. Summer was lovely, about 70-75F 24C. Great concerts.

Winter.............

Used to land on sheet ice and taxi close to the building.. the 25 metre walk was enough to freeze certain parts off a brass monkey.

Loved the country and the people. The dark months took a lot of getting used to..lots of suicides. A lot of drunkenness. I recall my tax rate was 52%

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:45   #55

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I agree Ken. It costs a lot of money to work, and to simply exist over here in our high-priced North American economy. Getting off the wage-slave tread mill removes a large amount of embedded expenses: houses, cars, insurance, taxes, clothes, transportation, entertainment... all these things can be eliminated or reduced significantly once you step away from the tread mill.

People say they can't afford to stop working. I look at all the associated costs, and say I can't afford TO work.
Well stated, I would add that a big percentage of North Americans are spending large amounts of money on consumer goods that are in reality junk, and soon to be in a landfill.
I guess what I am getting at is that people can eliminate a lot of unnecessary consumer spending and not diminish their quality of life, and likely be happier.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:49   #56

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

We use about 400 gallons of diesel to go from Annapolis to the Bahamas and return motoring all the way. If I stay home it would take twice that to heat the house....I figure I am saving a bundle!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:00   #57

Quote:
The "pajama people" infest the inner city no income housing apartments, walking around in their pajamas all day, EBT card in one hand, Free Obama cell phone in the other on their way to either Walmart or the closest ATM machine.

Most have never worked a day in their life... basically retired at age 15 and financed by US government handouts and selling drugs. Heroin is the local drug of first choice.
I see. Well, on the bright side: Welcome to back home to the USA, where people can be wealthy enough to afford to buy $15,000 sails for their Oyster 53 while being so ignorant that they think the government doles out free cell phones, and proud enough of their ignorance that they flaunt it in rants about how tough life in America is for the wealthy.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:08   #58

Boat: O'Day 302

I think a lot of it is reaction/comparison to today's prices and prices from decades ago. Fact of the matter is stuff will always go up in price.

I remember when gas was .50/gallon.....

I remember when a burger cost .10.....

Live smart and spend smart, but don't get so wrapped up in what stuff costs. It makes you sound like geezers.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:16   #59

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Not to worry. Just received word from the government here in the US. Seems that there will be no increase in our Social Security as the inflation rate is near zero. These people are totally ignorant, wonder where they are shopping?
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:07   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
Well stated, I would add that a big percentage of North Americans are spending large amounts of money on consumer goods that are in reality junk, and soon to be in a landfill.

I guess what I am getting at is that people can eliminate a lot of unnecessary consumer spending and not diminish their quality of life, and likely be happier.

Very true Pegu. In consumer-driven economies (which virtually all capitalist economies are now) the populace is programmed to keep buying more, whether we need the stuff or not.

Of course, it is possible to resist, and to say no to the big boat, new outboard or fancy chartplotter. But when all the messaging our culture continually blasts at us of: buy, Buy, BUY! it is very hard to resist.

Advertising does work. But social norms, peer pressure, and the old "keeping up with the Jones" are all very real. One has to be very strong to resist the tide of culture. Which is why I say the best way to spend less is to leave.

Why go fast, when you can go slow

Tags
price