Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 23:12   #346
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
I used to love motorcycle touring round Spain and Portugal in the Autumn and Winter. My last trip there was in 2008. I worked in Spain and Portugal for a while, absolutely love the places and the people, and totally despise those that have hurt them so badly and inexcusably.

A tent pitch on a camp site had gone up to 30 to 34 euros a night. I hope to go back some time when the deranged bonkers is over.

If you live by tourism, don't kill the golden geese.

If you live by boaters, don't kill the golden geese.

The same approach is pretty much killing motorcycling (retailers expect people to pay as much as £1,000 for a set of leathers, £800 for a crash helmet, and £300 for a pair of boots, and the price of motorbikes . . . ), and turned it into a fashion statement. I stopped buying Ducatis in the 1970's (my last one was a Darmah), when the importer, after Italy DEVALUED the lira massively, put the prices up massively instead of reducing them. Ok on my own it didn't make any difference, other than to me, but being alone won't always be the case. Reality always ends up winning in the end.

Same was done to shooting over here. Priced the grass roots out of the sport, then people that should know better, walked all over the guntrade, and people's Rights.

The only way to win, is don't play.
In defence of Spanish businesses.

As I dont know the exact fees because I have to employ a Spanish accountant to just keep track of the millions of laws that have sprung up, I think I am now paying a 26% VAT on everything I charge for or transact. I also have to pay a flat fee of €250 a month personally just as a contribution for social security and working there.
For the accountant and standard fees before income or profit is even taken into account, I have to find €10K a year

Given that The camping fees are €30 Euros a night plus, I would say in real terms for the camp ground, they are trying to keep the prices down.

In my business, with all the taxes and charges, I probably only get to keep 60% of the monies received.

Its a tough world.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:16   #347

It took 2 days to have 2 crowns put on my teeth for a total of $350 at a reputable and recommended dentist in Algodones, Mexico. Seems many Americans and Canadians have fought on to this...go to Yuma, AZ., park your car in the gated parking lot on the border, walk across to the dentist's office. There are several "tried and true" dentists there, just do the research online. I will continue to return for any future dental work - rather that pay the $1200 quoted for ONE crown by an Am. dentist.
tonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:18   #348

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Only $1200? I just got a new crown for $1700, my insurance said it was worth $900, and they covered it at 50% ($450). Such a good deal for me!
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:15   #349

That is good - you have great insurance, which I do not have [-:
Old 01-12-2015, 11:17   #350

I take it you're being facetious. I don't consider having the insurance company pay about 25% of the cost to be "good insurance." After you subtract my premium, it's closer to nothing!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:22   #351

Sorry, I thought you were serious to say you thought it was a good deal for you. I was advised that dental insurance is almost useless for major things like crowns. And the price of a crown in the states can be anywhere from (apparently)$800-1800. Go to Los Algodones - Dr. Rubio or Dr. Ana Maria Gutierrez. Lots of folks from all over, and from far away - Canada, Michigan, Washington were there.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:31   #352
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
I take it you're being facetious. I don't consider having the insurance company pay about 25% of the cost to be "good insurance." After you subtract my premium, it's closer to nothing!
I hate to overstate the obvious, but you will always pay more for insurance than you ever get from it, or the company would go broke.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:53   #353

Technically, no. The cumulative premiums of subscribers must exceed the cumulative payouts for claims in order for the company to remain solvent, but individuals can nonetheless get out more than they put in. Just not in my case.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:05   #354
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

you know insurance is a lot like Las Vegas or the Lottery, yes a few win, but only a few, vast majority do not. It's why except for very major things, I go un-insured.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:59   #355

Dental insurance has always been a scam any way you look at it. Even if you have to have work done on all of your teeth if you include a lifetime of deductibles and other out of pocket, premiums, lost investment potential on the premiums, etc. it will come out much more than being self insured. Probably 3+ times more. And many dentists and labs will give you a decent discount if you are a self-pay.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 13:28   #356
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The whole medical insurance thing has been messed up for years and it is the consumers fault.
For reasons that I do not understand people think their medical and dental instance should cover regular scheduled activities like cleanings and check ups, and I think that insane. I want insurance for those unexpected, unplanned for really expensive things, and that is exactly when most medical insurance bows out.
It is the same as expecting your car insurance to pay for tune ups and oil changes, but not for accidents.
I can pay for the regular planned small things, that ought not be an insurable thing, it's the root canals, caps etc that I need insurance for.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-12-2015, 14:16   #357

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I hate to overstate the obvious, but you will always pay more for insurance than you ever get from it, or the company would go broke.
Collectively true. Individually maybe, but the odds are not in your favour.

The problem as I see it with US medical insurance is that it is like having your car insurance also cover routine maintenance and repair costs. So the insurer gets his cut out of every maintenance repair bill forcing the cost of said repairs/maintenance up. Not only that, but since "maintenance" is covered, people get the mechanics to top up the radiator, pump the tyres, wax the exterior, detail the interior on a routine basis and all of those costs get loaded into the premiums as well.

Whatever happened to the principle of using insurance to protect against catastrophic loss and covering your own general expenses as you go.
(It's what I still do )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 14:47   #358

Boat: Catalina 30

Not defending insurance companies, but the
companies do invest and create some wealth.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 15:40   #359
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Not defending insurance companies, but the
companies do invest and create some wealth.

You say invest I say rape! And the wealth they create go to their CEO's?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 15:54   #360

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
And you should hope to pay more otherwise it means you have been chronically ill.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
price